GPU for 5K!

alabrand1

Weaksauce
I have a Dell UP2715K on the way to me as we speak and I just realized I forgot to order a new GPU so I can actually run the damn thing. What should I get? No brand preference. Max budget is $2000.

Unless you like running newer games at 30fps, you're going to need at least 2 video cards. Preferably multiple 980's or Titans. Or if ATI releases 'em soon - multiple 300 series cards.
My single 980 struggles with most games at 4K, let alone more than that.
The exception would be if you don't care about gaming. A single mid-range card will suit your needs if you just need something for desktop apps and videos.

2 nvidia Titan X in sli. $2000

Noted. :)

Unless you like running newer games at 30fps, you're going to need at least 2 video cards. Preferably multiple 980's or Titans. Or if ATI releases 'em soon - multiple 300 series cards.
My single 980 struggles with most games at 4K, let alone more than that.
The exception would be if you don't care about gaming. A single mid-range card will suit your needs if you just need something for desktop apps and videos.

I don't do as much gaming as I used to. My go-to games nowadays are EVE Online and FFXIV:ARR but I play other games every now and then. How is the VRAM usage on your 980 at 4K? I'm afraid 4GB might be too low at 5K.

If ya got it there ain't nothing better out there for 4k.. look at nothing but the titan x Sli. You'll need 2 if them in sli for 4 k.

For the money you are spending I would wait for the 390x to be released if you are patient enough.

If ya got it there ain't nothing better out there for 4k.. look at nothing but the titan x Sli. You'll need 2 if them in sli for 4 k.

It's a shame they cut off DP performance on them.

For the money you are spending I would wait for the 390x to be released if you are patient enough.

Have there been any word, or even rumours as to the pricing on the 390X? If it's priced very competitively I could imagine getting three of them.

So, any more inputs? The monitor is slated for arrival in 4 hours. Should I just wait for the R9 390X? If so, what kind of cheap GPU can I use in the meantime that has 2 DisplayPorts?

Last edited:
+1 for a pair of EVGA GTX TITAN X's http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-384b.... It's really the only option you have to be able to perform at that high a resolution.

980's with their 4GB VRAM are going to bottleneck quite a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Generally past two way SLI you risk no or negative scaling in a lot of games. If you're doing 5k 2x Titan X's are the way to go.

If u can wait for the next release (if nothing else then for a price drop)

If u are not worried about the coin then titan it is. But for your current games u could easily make due with a 290 or 980. The titan is really only for the more taxing games or to have ALL the eye candy on. (The is H after all). If u only play older or rarely the titan is probably a waste of money.

Having said that 2 titan in SLI would be bad ass and the best u can get right now.

Also what are your system spec's

(Sorry about the typing, I'm on my phone)

I second the two card idea. That'll probably save you some bucks. Two 980s and you're SET! Get some liquid coolant or something, maybe a bunch of fans and do some overclocking on thins?

Can 2x 980 really push 5120 x 2880 at a proper rate? Is 4gb vram a concern at 5K? That's effectively 2560x(1440x2) per card, and it doesn't scale linearly. I tried 5120x2880 (via DSR) on my Titan X, and it was not great.

Last edited:
+1 for a pair of EVGA GTX TITAN X's http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-384b.... It's really the only option you have to be able to perform at that high a resolution.

980's with their 4GB VRAM are going to bottleneck quite a bit.

Generally past two way SLI you risk no or negative scaling in a lot of games. If you're doing 5k 2x Titan X's are the way to go.

If u can wait for the next release (if nothing else then for a price drop)

If u are not worried about the coin then titan it is. But for your current games u could easily make due with a 290 or 980. The titan is really only for the more taxing games or to have ALL the eye candy on. (The is H after all). If u only play older or rarely the titan is probably a waste of money.

Having said that 2 titan in SLI would be bad ass and the best u can get right now.

Also what are your system spec's

(Sorry about the typing, I'm on my phone)

I second the two card idea. That'll probably save you some bucks. Two 980s and you're SET! Get some liquid coolant or something, maybe a bunch of fans and do some overclocking on thins?

Can 2x 980 really push 5120 x 2880 at a proper rate? Is 4gb vram a concern at 5K? That's effectively 2560x(1440x2) per card, and it doesn't scale linearly. I tried 5120x2880 (via DSR) on my Titan X, and it was not great.

It's still a work in progress, but the parts that I have bought so far are Intel Core i7-5960X, Asus X99-E WS and Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 2400MHz and the beast of them all that arrived a couple of hours ago; Dell UP2715K. I'm still working on the rest. I value stability more than performance but as I've said previously, I want to play games in 5K (or 4K on some of the more demanding games) with good framerates with high settings.

I think I'm going to follow your guys advice and wait until June when AMD hopefully releases their R9 390X. Because if nothing else, maybe Nvidia will drop the price on their Titan X a little bit.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So it appears that if I cut down on the amount of AA (Maybe just use FXAA?) I can get by with 2x Titan X/R9 390X? I'm aiming for at least 40 FPS or around there.

Don't bother with FXAA; why go for a super-sharp monitor if you're just going to blur everything?

Yes, it should be OK. But then when you buy and test do us a favor and describe your impressions :D.

Will do! :)

Don't bother with FXAA; why go for a super-sharp monitor if you're just going to blur everything?

I figured the monitor is already so sharp that FXAA doesn't blur it as much as it would on lower resolutions. Plus, it's pretty effective for it's performance cost which is more or less nonexistant. But we'll see, I will choose AA accordingly.

With such a high resolution monitor, you most likely won't even need AA at all. Especially at that res on a 27"

With such a high resolution monitor, you most likely won't even need AA at all. Especially at that res on a 27"

You might be right.

For all of you who have helped me so far, thanks. I've decided to wait and see whether or not the AMD R9 390X can contend with the Nvidia Titan X and/or if the Titan X will drop in price the coming months. So instead of splurging about $2000-$3000 I'll get a cheap temporary card so I can use the computer in the meantime.

So, does anyone know what the cheapest card is that has 2x DisplayPorts?

In order to support 5K resolution with fluidity in games you'll need ATLEAST 2x Titan Xs. Honestly, you may be better served waiting for a die shrink in 2016 to make the best use of that resolution.

It's still a work in progress, but the parts that I have bought so far are Intel Core i7-5960X, Asus X99-E WS and Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 2400MHz and the beast of them all that arrived a couple of hours ago; Dell UP2715K. I'm still working on the rest. I value stability more than performance but as I've said previously, I want to play games in 5K (or 4K on some of the more demanding games) with good framerates with high settings.

$3550 on just cpu and screen? Dual Titan X ...

I think I'm going to follow your guys advice and wait until June when AMD hopefully releases their R9 390X. Because if nothing else, maybe Nvidia will drop the price on their Titan X a little bit.

I would be seriously surprised if that happened.Their products seem to just discontinue rather than ever drop in price. You're well off, don't waste time waiting.

IMO, there will always be something better on the horizon. Considering that no one knows when the new AMD GPU will be available in the market, I don't see any point in waiting around for it. Might as well get 2 Titan X and enjoy those monitors now.

Unless of course if one have some particular preference towards AMD, then it may be worth it to wait for a brand that they prefer. Otherwise, get the best card out there and enjoy them now.

Thanks, I'll take your advice to heart. If only there were any 5K benchmarks with 2x Titan X with reasonable settings, as in, no anti-aliasing on. I'm happy as long as I can get at least somewhere around 40 FPS and low frametimes.

Try one first, and if that isn't sufficient, then go SLI.

Thanks, I'll take your advice to heart. If only there were any 5K benchmarks with 2x Titan X with reasonable settings, as in, no anti-aliasing on. I'm happy as long as I can get at least somewhere around 40 FPS and low frametimes.

5k is 56% more pixels (holy hell) than 4k. Just reduce the 4k FPS by 56%. Shouldn't be any limiting factors like VRAM. Perhaps you can find a 4k review with no AA and just cut the FPS in half, that's where you'd be.

Try one first, and if that isn't sufficient, then go SLI.

Even I am pretty sure 1 Titan X won't cut it at 5K, even if my go-to games aren't very demanding.

5k is 56% more pixels (holy hell) than 4k. Just reduce the 4k FPS by 56%. Shouldn't be any limiting factors like VRAM. Perhaps you can find a 4k review with no AA and just cut the FPS in half, that's where you'd be.

Oh my god, I can't believe I didn't think of this. I should go to sleep earlier. Thanks a bunch!

2/3rds! 100% more pixels would be half.

Actually 5k is 78% more pixels than 4k. So it's a little more than 3/4s more pixels.

at 5k your fps would roughly 56.25% that of 4k (EG if you run 100 fps on 4k, you would run at 56fps on 5k)

Actually 5k is 78% more pixels than 4k. So it's a little more than 3/4s more pixels.

at 5k your fps would roughly 56.25% that of 4k (EG if you run 100 fps on 4k, you would run at 56fps on 5k)

chenw is right! It really is closer to 1/2, ouch.

I have looked at a couple of Titan X 2-way SLI reviews and having calculated the expected framerates at 5K, I am actually impressed. As long as I do not use any form of anti-aliasing and overclock my cards as high as they will go, I should be tethering on the brink of playable framerates/frametimes. Meaning at least around 30-40 frames per second.

If performance turns out to be lackluster I might consider watercooling.

Back