GPU for 4K Gaming

Durvelle27

2[H]4U
Hey guys it's been awhile since i last posted but I'm looking for a GPU to game at 4K. Not looking for anything extreme just needs to get the job done. Would 2x 980s or 2x R9 Furies be adequate to get the job done ?

Hey guys it's been awhile since i last posted but I'm looking for a GPU to game at 4K. Not looking for anything extreme just needs to get the job done. Would 2x 980s or 2x R9 Furies be adequate to get the job done ?

Define "get the job done". 60Hz? 100Hz? All eye-candy on? AA or no?

Currently the only single-card solution that will keep you at or above 60hz is a 1080Ti.

A pair of 980's or 980Ti's will probably work as well, as long as your game supports SLI and scales well.

Any reason you are looking at 2 year old cards? You can pick them up for cheap?

"Not looking for anything extreme just needs to get the job done."

If you can bear the mental anguish of lowering settings, you don't need a 1080 Ti. Just lowering the universal settings from Ultra to High can increase performance for minor IQ loss. Might make a 1080 quite capable at 4k, and possibly even a 1070 if you throw in some medium settings like shadows. Some people struggle lowering from max though.

Currently the only single-card solution that will keep you at or above 60hz is a 1080Ti.

A pair of 980's or 980Ti's will probably work as well, as long as your game supports SLI and scales well.

Have a Titan X 12 GB that runs 4k @ 60hz really well. I'm getting rid of my 4k setup and doing a 1440p and sold my monitor locally last night, but my Titan X (paired with a 28" 4k 1ms G-Sync monitor) was solid.

My display is 60Hz IPS

AA no

Doesn't have to have all eye candy

I mostly play Battlefield and AAA games

Any reason you are looking at 2 year old cards? You can pick them up for cheap?

"Not looking for anything extreme just needs to get the job done."

If you can bear the mental anguish of lowering settings, you don't need a 1080 Ti. Just lowering the universal settings from Ultra to High can increase performance for minor IQ loss. Might make a 1080 quite capable at 4k, and possibly even a 1070 if you throw in some medium settings like shadows. Some people struggle lowering from max though.
Cost yes

At 4K High settings is more than acceptable

My display is 60Hz IPS

AA no

Doesn't have to have all eye candy

I mostly play Battlefield and AAA games

If you're good with SLI, I'd get a pair of used 980Ti's or a single 1080Ti depending on price. Since the 1080Ti came out, the prices on used 980Ti's have dropped drastically, so you might find a good deal. Either one will cover you at 4k@60hz for quite some time, probably with almost all the eye candy on. I wouldn't go with a 980 pair personally, just due to the POTENTIAL VRAM limits. (probably not a huge issue, but with future titles at 4k, it may be a factor). The single 1080Ti will also suck down a lot less power, and put out less heat.

Depends on the game, but even a 1080 Ti can be not enough in certain titles. For example, in Deus Ex MD or Far Cry Primal, 4K on High settings is a struggle to reach 60fps. On better optimized games, like BF1 you could be alright on max settings.

Honestly, if you are serious, get the 1080 Ti. SLI/CF is a hit or miss (many times a miss) and if you drop to 1 card you won't have the power (outside of old or indie games). Getting a cheap card and then running 4K on low settings would be a waste (and the graphics would likely look worse than if you just had a 1080P TV on Ultra settings).

Depends on the game, but even a 1080 Ti can be not enough in certain titles. For example, in Deus Ex MD or Far Cry Primal, 4K on High settings is a struggle to reach 60fps. On better optimized games, like BF1 you could be alright on max settings.

Honestly, if you are serious, get the 1080 Ti. SLI/CF is a hit or miss (many times a miss) and if you drop to 1 card you won't have the power (outside of old or indie games). Getting a cheap card and then running 4K on low settings would be a waste (and the graphics would likely look worse than if you just had a 1080P TV on Ultra settings).
Don't play deus was boring to me and far cry either

Just get a 1080 and keep the settings reasonable and you will be fine, avoid sli and crossfire like mad as they have more cons then pros.

Back