GPU folding on OSX?

xENo

[H]ard|Gawd
You'll have to forgive me here, as I'm not too knowledgable about these sorts of things, I just like folding to support the cause.

I just picked up a new 27" iMac with the upgraded graphics card. It has a GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB GDDR5. From what I've read, this card should be able to do GPU folding, there's just no software that allows me to do so.

Is it possible? And if so, is there software somewhere that will let me?

Thanks!

Well GPU used to be Windows only but in the past few days Linux support was added for GPU folding. Stanford plan to get core 17 on all platforms as well as boost its speed. They will focus on boosting windows gpu folding speed before starting on os x support.

Nope, GPU is only supported in Windows. You can do boot camp if you want to go that route (or wine or maybe mono...not sure about mono).

Well GPU used to be Windows only but in the past few days Linux support was added for GPU folding. Stanford plan to get core 17 on all platforms as well as boost its speed. They will focus on boosting windows gpu folding speed before starting on os x support.

The last few days Linux support has been mentioned, it is not yet available.

You could always help the Commandos by running BOINC on it. There are plenty of projects that could take advantage of that card.

I ended up running Rosetta@Home, which doesn't take advantage of my GPU card, but I wanted the cycles to go toward a medical cause.

You could join GPUGrid as well. It is GPU only and currently only uses nVidia cards. It is medical based. WCG has CPU and GPU for their cancer project. All three are good choices.

Also, to maximize points at various projects...don't forget to attach to WUProp and FreeHAL. Both of the projects are non-CPU intensive and will run alongside your other tasks. Kind of like free points.

WCG is the only team name on the above list that use HardOCP instead of [H]ard|OCP.

No, not really.

^^This. Last I saw is that it is running PG internal alpha. I expect that proteener will get it out to internal beta on freenode #fah "soon", which may be days, weeks, months, years, or never. He also said that he is working on a short notice secret squirrel project at the moment, so that may push out the time line.

Back