GPU folding in linux

Looks like GPU2 under WINE is actually getting there. Last time I saw someone try this, it involved grabbing the latest snapshot of WINE source, applying patches and I can't remember what order to light the incense and sacrifice the chicken. This is still way too complex for Joe Sixpack, but it looks a lot better. Thanks for the link, I'll be keeping an eye on the situation.

Im gunna give it a go. I only have a 8200 igp but ill let everyone know how it goes

Thanks for posting that link sl1982 :D

Very much appreciated :p

I'm gonna' give it a shot as soon as the ISO finishes DL'ing. I've got a E6600 + eVGA 9600GSO just beggin' to try it. :rolleyes:

@alan2308: I was going to try the other "Wine" thing too, but I lost count at the 300th or so step :rolleyes:

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

Thanks for posting that link sl1982 :D

Very much appreciated :p

I'm gonna' give it a shot as soon as the ISO finishes DL'ing. I've got a E6600 + eVGA 9600GSO just beggin' to try it. :rolleyes:

@alan2308: I was going to try the other "Wine" thing too, but I lost count at the 300th or so step :rolleyes:

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

Tell me about it. I consider myself a Linux expert and I wanted no part of it.

If this works out, then I'll be able to pop a GPU into my main rig. Windows just isn't going to happen there. :D

I've got it working on 4 machines. One tends to need a restart every couple of days though. The others are solid.

Well it seems to be working fine for me. Getting 400ppd. The only thing is that the desktop is basically frozen. GPU hogging all the resources maybe.

Well it seems to be working fine for me. Getting 400ppd. The only thing is that the desktop is basically frozen. GPU hogging all the resources maybe.

That's a bit scary :eek:

Not a big deal if it is a dedicated box, but if it is a main rig..... not so good.

Well at first i though it was because the guide was meant for diskless folding but i gave er a reboot and everything seems fine now.

Looks like GPU2 under WINE is actually getting there. Last time I saw someone try this, it involved grabbing the latest snapshot of WINE source, applying patches and I can't remember what order to light the incense and sacrifice the chicken. This is still way too complex for Joe Sixpack, but it looks a lot better. Thanks for the link, I'll be keeping an eye on the situation.

Yeah, color me either "intelligence challenged" , on the lower end of the "Joe Sixpack" ability or just freakin' lazy (probably all of the above) . I started to go with this guide for GPUin' under Linux, but when I loaded the server OS I kind of got turned off by not having a GUI interface. I realize servers don't need desktop interfaces and "headless" means no monitor, but sheech :mad:, I already gave up the screensaver deal. ATM I only have 3x 24/7 DC'ing boxen with lower end GPU's and it's hard to show off a headless server boxen to non computer people. :(

I guess I'm also "wallpaper challenged" and a rabid mouse user :eek:

I'm semi command line capable in Linux so that didn't really do a whole lot of "shorts twisting". ;) I just missed all the graphics of a desktop GUI. I just like lookin' at desktop wallpapers, desktop icons and all the sound effects (I use a headphone) Plus I'm kinda' attached to my mouse. :D

Like alan2308 posted above it's still pretty complicated for us semi skilled computer jocks and jockettes. (Joe and Josephine sixpacks) I'm looking forward to a "easy breezy" GPU client for Linux. (yeah I know, some people are kookin' for the end of the world and some people are lookin' to win the lottery too :rolleyes:)

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

I got it running under ubuntu that has a gui. Im not too sure but does gnome sound familiar? I think thats the desktop stuff

I got it running under ubuntu that has a gui. Im not too sure but does gnome sound familiar? I think thats the desktop stuff
Yes, as alan2308 first mentioned to me back in the summer, Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop environment. You can find Kubuntu with the KDE desktop environment and Xubuntu with the Xfce desktop environment. There is also OpenGEU (Geubuntu) which uses the Enlightenment environment and it looks incredible. I recently settled with Fluxbuntu, employing the Fluxbox window manager. It is the only 64-bit distro I could find with the Fluxbox window manager installed by default. In terms of resource usage, from greater to lesser the list goes something like this: Geubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu and the minimalistic Fluxbuntu.

Don't forget (I swear I'm not making this up) jewbuntu, Ubuntu Christian Edition, dubuntu, nBuntu, elbuntu, gNewSense and Ubuntu Muslim Edition. :D

Don't forget (I swear I'm not making this up) jewbuntu, Ubuntu Christian Edition, dubuntu, nBuntu, elbuntu, gNewSense and Ubuntu Muslim Edition. :D

Hey my man (alan2308) when they get a "Star_Tracks_Ubuntu" flavor (err..., I mean "Star_Treks_Ubuntu" flavor :rolleyes:) I'm goin' into a different "space continuement" (or whatever that space jocky term is) and help whip those DC'ing Klingons. (they do DC don't they :confused:)

The great [H]orde, being galaxy wide, is gonna' whip up on that Klingon DC' team :D (if they gots a team :confused:)

No Star Trek spin of Ubuntu just yet. The best I can find is a Star Trek theme for Gnome:

http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?p=6059817

2.png

When will we get our own [H]ordebuntu version ?

Hey brother Xilikon, as usual, you seem to see beyond the crap. Just where is that [H]ordebuntu flavor anyhoo' :rolleyes:. We seem to have some very sharp members where anything colored Linux is concerned. :D

Ubuntu derivatives aren't that difficult to throw together. It would just come down to finding a couple artistic types to get a fancy theme together and someone with bandwidth to host.

Ubuntu derivatives aren't that difficult to throw together. It would just come down to finding a couple artistic types to get a fancy theme together and someone with bandwidth to host.
Some Ubuntu distros are indeed mostly theme-oriented variants but others like Edubuntu and nUbuntu are specialized distros that are equipped with specific apps and feature set aimed for a particular market. Edubuntu is intended for younger people, hence the 'Edu' prefix, and nUbuntu seems oriented for network servers.

A [H]orde based distro would be targeted at the DC community. As such, it would have F@H (and other popular projects) installed and pre-configured from the get-go and be as light as possible for minimal resource usage and maximum performance. Moreover, any apps that could come to the aid of the DC user such as monitoring and networking tools would be included. Samba and possibly even Wine for GPU should also be pre-configured. Of course, it would come with a spiffy black and maroon theme for the purists. :D

BOINC is LGPL, Fahmon and all of Dick Howell's utilites (qfix, fpd, etc.) are GPL so those could be included. And the guys at overclock.net have a spiffy F@H GUI installer for Linux.

I'd lean more towards using YaST from OpenSuse to install/configure the system, especially things like Samba, which I still cringe at configuring with just vi and text files. Its also real good at doing the propietary video drivers.

BOINC is LGPL, Fahmon and all of Dick Howell's utilites (qfix, fpd, etc.) are GPL so those could be included. And the guys at overclock.net have a spiffy F@H GUI installer for Linux.

I'd lean more towards using YaST from OpenSuse to install/configure the system, especially things like Samba, which I still cringe at configuring with just vi and text files. Its also real good at doing the propietary video drivers.
Very interesting possibilities. Looks like it might just be possible for any Linux-savvy [H]orde member with time to tackle the project. Too bad there aren't many here who could. I can barely navigate around a Fluxbox DE and I'm clueless in a pure terminal environment, otherwise I'd be running no GUI in my VMs. :(

Don't look at me, I'm good with Linux but not enough to tackle a custom distro. It's a great idea however to have a [H]ordebuntu version tailored toward DC and VMWare installation.

I tried to install Ubuntu on a 4GB thumb drive once. It loaded up but i couldn't figure out how to do anything with it. just a blank screen and I tried a few random key combos and found one menu that would let me shut it down. I gave up and put notfred on it, then bought my laptop.

Very interesting possibilities. Looks like it might just be possible for any Linux-savvy [H]orde member with time to tackle the project. Too bad there aren't many here who could. I can barely navigate around a Fluxbox DE and I'm clueless in a pure terminal environment, otherwise I'd be running no GUI in my VMs. :(

Meh, these kids today and their fancy GUI's and their lost without a mouse attitudes. Just because commands like awk and sed have 600 page books each. :D

Its more than just a time or technical skills thing too. I could maintain a Linux distro, I just have no desire to do so. Why can't we have version xxx of this package? I like to do netDimes, why isn't the netDimes client in your distro? I know this needs to fit on one CD, but why cant my favorite text editor be on it? And what about my favorite editor? I've got this one of a kind ethernet card, can I get my drivers included? Why did you drop support for my circa-1988 SCSI card? Where's the theme for CDE?

Back