GPU Folding Guide

With ATI cards, a low GPU usage mean that you are CPU bound. If your sig is correct, you have a X2 4600+ so it's a bit weak to feed he ATI card. With NVIDIA, you are not CPU bound at all since it have a very low CPU usage.

A way to improve the GPU usage is to overclock the CPU.

So in my case, my 3GHz Core 2 Duo gets almost 4000 ppd from an NVIDIA 8800 GTS 640 MB and the CPU is only running at 10%. The exact same processor only gets 2000 ppd from an ATI 4870 512MB with one core of the CPU running at 100%. I've already OC'd the CPU about as far as it will go - it's default is only 2.26 GHz and I've had it between 3 - 3.2 GHz! I guess the ATI client just needs some work to get the same bang-for-your-buck as the NVIDIA card. In PC games, the ATI card trounces the NVIDIA card.

Yes, ATI need much more optimizations to match NVIDIA cards performance. 2000 ppd is pretty normal for a 4870 unforunately.

With ATI cards, a low GPU usage mean that you are CPU bound. If your sig is correct, you have a X2 4600+ so it's a bit weak to feed he ATI card. With NVIDIA, you are not CPU bound at all since it have a very low CPU usage.

A way to improve the GPU usage is to overclock the CPU.

With no CPU clients running MY CPU usage is less than 50% but I am still only getting 50-60% GPU usage. I am overclocked to 2.88ghz on my CPU. I am getting about 1400 PPD running one CPU client and the GPU client. With 2 CPU clients I use to get about 240PPD. I aint going to complain with that kind of increase.

AGP?

If so 1400 was exactly where my 3850 AGP would run on a P4 at 3.9Ghz...

For comparison points!

Back