GPU / DisplayPort / Oculus

scj67711

n00b
My nephew received an Oculus Rift S for Christmas but ran into an issue during setup, his current PC GPU does not have a display port option (hard to believe I know), and adapters will not work according to Oculus themselves and a quick Google search.

Below are his current specs, before we go any farther, yes I realize he needs a serious upgrade, but at this point I want to get him up and running using the Oculus, so my question is the following:

Can I throw the Radeon RX 570 into his PC and will it run OK with his current specs?, I have one laying around so I'm hoping it will do the trick.

Motherboard: GA-970A-DS3P rev 2
GPU: Radeon R7 200
Memory: DDR3 8GB (not sure of make and model at this time)
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera
PSU: 600 Watt 80+

That FX 6-core plus 8GB ram might be cutting things a little close for VR. And the RX 570 is BARELY enough for OLDER VR titles.

Here are the minimum system requirements for Half Life: Alyx.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/21...cs-upgrade-gaming-pc-cpu-gpu-memory-ram-valve

• Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
  • Memory: 12 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM

That Ryzen 1600 is about 70% faster than that FX 6300. And if [H]'s old VR reviews are still accurate, AMD's GPU drivers are not well-optimized for VR games (so get something more powerful than the minimum).

IF you just wan t to play older VR games, it should be okay.

Last edited:
That FX 6-core plus 8GB ram might be cutting things a little close for VR. And the RX 570 is BARELY enough for OLDER VR titles.

Here are the minimum system requirements for Half Life: Alyx.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/21...cs-upgrade-gaming-pc-cpu-gpu-memory-ram-valve

• Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
  • Memory: 12 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM

That Ryzen 1600 is about 70% faster than that FX 6300. And if [H]'s old VR reviews are still accurate, AMD's GPU drivers are not well-optimized for VR games (so get something more powerful than the minimum).

IF you just wan t to play older VR games, it should be okay.
Good stuff, thanks. Have any thought on a budget upgrade for these current parts? I have a few ideas for the GPU and RAM upgrade, but what are your thoughts on the mobo and CPU?

That CPU isn't going to cut it. A GPU alone isn't going to make up for the weak CPU. I'd invest $500-600 to build him a new PC. Look around for used parts and you could save some money. A PC meeting the minimum specs for Alyx could probably be built for $400 or even less if you shop around.

I would say a 980ti class (1060 6gb, 1070, vega, 1660) is plenty, and maybe an upgrade to a 8320e would be a nice jump. If not that then maybe jump to a haswell 4670, 4770 if you can score a bundle low, or even ryzen if you are willing to throw some money in. Keep in mind you want like 80fps for the res of the display or you get reprojection and a very jumpy experience.

Last edited:
I would say a 980ti class (1060 6gb, 1070, vega, 1660) is plenty, and maybe an upgrade to a 8320e would be a nice jump. If not that then maybe jump to a haswell 4670, 4770 if you can score a bundle low, or even ryzen if you are willing to throw some money in. Keep in mind you want like 80fps for the res of the display or you get reprojection and a very jumpy experience.
Thanks for the input, could I use the 8320e with my current mobo? if not do you have a budget friendly suggestion for such?, I am good with the 8320e, that seems like a solid upgrade.

Back