GPU Demand Increases in Fourth Quarter

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While PC sales are declining, not all is grim, as the GPU sector seems to be doing just fine and appears to only be increasing. This is market research stuff so your eyes may instantly glaze over, but if someone asks you how your favorite graphics card company is doing, you can assuredly say “breddy gud.”

The latest market report from Jon Peddie Research note the results are the highest in two years, with 100.3 million units sold. JPR notes growth in the gaming market as the primary driver, but other markets including media & entertainment, cloud computing, and engineering are continuing to invest in more powerful graphics processing. Among the big three suppliers, AMD and Nvidia both increased shipments by 10% in the fourth quarter (sequentially), while Intel shipments were down 4%. Discrete GPUs gained market over integrated units. The attach rate of GPUs inside PCs increased in 4Q16 to 141% on a year-over-year basis.

My biggest surprise out of this is how well AMD is doing. Now if they can step up their game on the high end of the market, they could really pull off some numbers.

How do they calculate market share? Because almost every Intel CPU has an inbuilt GPU, and adding an extra GPU should override that.

I'm really pleased to see both Nvidia and AMD doing well in the market.

Because people are sticking with their cpus and performing an upgrade by swapping out their video cards.

With CPU performance gains being as they are - video cards net the best upgrade. Unless you don't have an SSD for your OS Drive. I only upgrade my CPU when the motherboard kicks the bucket through years and years of loyal service through being abused.

Ive gone throught quite a few GPUS with my trusty 3570k

While PC sales are declining, not all is grim, as the GPU sector seems to be doing just fine and appears to only be increasing. This is market research stuff so your eyes may instantly glaze over, but if someone asks you how your favorite graphics card company is doing, you can assuredly say “breddy gud.”

The latest market report from Jon Peddie Research note the results are the highest in two years, with 100.3 million units sold. JPR notes growth in the gaming market as the primary driver, but other markets including media & entertainment, cloud computing, and engineering are continuing to invest in more powerful graphics processing. Among the big three suppliers, AMD and Nvidia both increased shipments by 10% in the fourth quarter (sequentially), while Intel shipments were down 4%. Discrete GPUs gained market over integrated units. The attach rate of GPUs inside PCs increased in 4Q16 to 141% on a year-over-year basis.
So sales of individual PC parts are doing fine, but overall "PC" sales declining. Does that mean that more people opt to build their own PC from scratch?

So sales of individual PC parts are doing fine, but overall "PC" sales declining. Does that mean that more people opt to build their own PC from scratch?
No, it means gaming pc sales have been going up year after year DESPITE overall sales being down. So more people are gaming on the PC than ever, but less people are buying PCs for general use.

The low end is suffering. For general use there has been no reason for people to upgrade their computer in the past 5+ years as long as they still work. I believe not that many people actually build their own computers. It is very intimidating for most people.

Back