GPU debate! - 760 - 670 vs 7870 - r9 270/x - MSI or EVGA - Asus, SAPh, XFX, PCooler?

GPU; Name & Brand

• Total voters

mmkmmk3

n00b
I'm looking to buy a new GPU for my first rig. I'm a nVidia fan :D, but I also like getting all I can. I've been looking around and I'm probably going to buy used parts. the between the four/five cards are about, from the cheapest to most expensive, $60 apart. Roughly. The GTX's are either MSI or EVGA, personally I'm an EVGA fan; however I'd like to know your personal opinions. I usually hear that MSI's are cooler, EVGA's are quieter. I don't know much about Radeon cards or brands. I know that usually Asus' run quiet cool. Again, thoughts vs Asus - Sapphire - XFX - Powercooler (in Radeon cards obviously :p).
I plan to mostly do gaming on it, if anything intensive. Perhaps start to mine some coinage.
What I'm really wanting to know is which card is future "proof" persay, which will last me the longest it I plan on using SLI or Xfire.
For reference I'm planning on getting a z77 board with a 3570k or 3770. I'm not big into overclocking so throw in your thoughts on that, should I go cheaper and not get a z77 board. or should I try to OC if I plan on mining? I'd really like a nice looking board however. And should I go for a lower processor if I'm getting a 3770 for around $200 or the 3570k for less.
Anything helps.

Long time lurker and deal seeker. First time poster. I try to stay intensive on this information but I really, for some odd reason, can't find any good info on this comparison.

Also to note the Poll is multiple options, Fire away!
Thanks to everyone who can put any input in. I truly appreciate it mates.

If you plan on mining, then you really need an AMD card. Processor should have no bearing on your mining capabilities. You also ask a bunch of very generic questions that can't really be answered with any authority - I don't know which models of cards you're actually looking at from each manufacturer nor do I know what price point they're available to you at....

In general, out of the GPUs you mentioned, they will fall as follows (for gaming performance):

670 > 760 > 7870 = 270X > 270

As for the brands, you'll need to specify the price, the model of card, whether it has a factory OC or not before any conclusions can be drawn on it.

If you plan on mining, then you really need an AMD card. Processor should have no bearing on your mining capabilities. You also ask a bunch of very generic questions that can't really be answered with any authority - I don't know which models of cards you're actually looking at from each manufacturer nor do I know what price point they're available to you at....

In general, out of the GPUs you mentioned, they will fall as follows (for gaming performance):

670 > 760 > 7870 = 270X > 270

As for the brands, you'll need to specify the price, the model of card, whether it has a factory OC or not before any conclusions can be drawn on it.
The cards fall within 150 ~ 250 price range.
I knew I was forgetting a few things :p. Off my head I know that all cards are 2GB. EVGA's are the normal, superclocked, & FTW editions. About $30 apart between cheapest to least expensive. I was really looking for a more general answer and comparison tbh.
The MSI's are the Power Edition & "Gaming" /N760 version.
think the Sapphire is the Double X.
I'll get the rest of the info when I'm able to.

This one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161443

Or this one..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133498

Both fall right at $200, and will trade blows in most titles. The 760 would likely have a bit of an edge overall. Beign you are a professed Nvidia fan, the 760 would get my vote.

The PNY is $200 if you buy the shield with it btw :p
I am more of an Nvidia fan myself; however my biggest concern is which card is going to be the best to buy, that will last me the longest, if in the future I'm going to SLI/XFire

The PNY is $200 if you buy the shield with it btw :p
I am more of an Nvidia fan myself; however my biggest concern is which card is going to be the best to buy, that will last me the longest, if in the future I'm going to SLI/XFire

Gotcha. These are all mid-range cards, which typically are not as relevant for as long as the high end stuff. Of course, you can buy 2 mid range cards for the price of one top end card, so in theory you could SLI later, or replace with a newer mid-range card down the road.

Gotcha. These are all mid-range cards, which typically are not as relevant for as long as the high end stuff. Of course, you can buy 2 mid range cards for the price of one top end card, so in theory you could SLI later, or replace with a newer mid-range card down the road.

Which card would you suggest with that in mind?

Which card would you suggest with that in mind?

Well, do you want to spend $250 now, and upgrade sooner, or spend $450-$500 now and have your card serve you longer?

A 760 now, and another in a year would be a good way to go, or grab a 780 now, and you should be good to go for 2 years, or more depending on how high of settings you require.

Generally speaking, you need 2 generation for the mid range cards to equal or pass the high end card from 2 gens ago. Ie, GTX 580 is matched or surpassed by the GTX 760, likewise with the GTX 480 to GTX 660, the older $500 card is beaten by the 2 gen newer $250 card.

You are on the right track with the Z77 and 3570/3770k, some good deals to be had, and no real reason to go Z87 at a higher price point.

What monitor aer you going to be gaming on? This plays a big part in your GPU decision.

Thanks for your answers. I don't have the money to spend on a $500. So I'll be SLI'ng in the future. But the 760 is > 670? Just to make sure.

I got a budget and havent found a good deal on a z87 mobo.
I'm going to be getting a full hd, maybe 2k monitor. Hopeful to upgrade to two or three.

Perhaps not an appreciable difference, but all else being equal, I believe a 670 is 5-10% faster than a 760.

I would go ahead and get a 760 it may or may not be 5% slower than the 670 especially at the ~$200-$250 price point. There really isn't a noticeable difference between the two to be honest and it runs nice fast and cool. I have the Windforce rev 2 variant and runs like a champ. I'd suggest getting the Twin Frozr/Gaming variant or the Windforce since I've had good experience with the two. I'm probably upgrading to a R9 290 windforce/twin frozr/DC2 variant once they get released and cheap, but god knows when that'll be around.

I would go ahead and get a 760 it may or may not be 5% slower than the 670 especially at the ~$200-$250 price point. There really isn't a noticeable difference between the two to be honest and it runs nice fast and cool. I have the Windforce rev 2 variant and runs like a champ. I'd suggest getting the Twin Frozr/Gaming variant or the Windforce since I've had good experience with the two. I'm probably upgrading to a R9 290 windforce/twin frozr/DC2 variant once they get released and cheap, but god knows when that'll be around.
Unfortunatly I passed on the only used sub $200 twin frozr & have only found used these http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-N760-2GD5/dp/B00DIH8OW8 for MSI. Thoughts on it? I stated earlier that I'm an EVGA man, moreso for their clean low~profile look, performance, reliability, & support. In your opinion whats your choice for MSI being second-to-none.
ALSO can you SLI two different brand cards?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back