GPU cooling question

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
18,564
I'm building a new system and am trying to decide if it's worth it to add a GPU cooler. I am going to be using an Evga Superclocked GTX570, after doing some research I decided on the Thermalright Shaman but right before I clicked buy I started to question how much of a gain I'd actually be receiving. The reason for this being that I have picked the Antec Skeleton as my case. With constant airflow and no compartmentalization I have to question whether or not $100 for a GPU cooler is really going to make a difference. There is no doubt in my mind that the cooler will reduce gpu temps inside or outside of a case but I wonder how close the #'s will be.

Long story short I don't think I'll buy the cooler just yet but I'll test the setup stock and then see how they compare to the readings on hardocp's review.


So I guess in the end I'd like to get your thoughts as to whether you think the cooler is worth it in an open air case.
 
Do you wish to overclock the card beyond stock? Is it hot where the computer will be located? If not I'd stick with the stock cooler for now and see if the noise is bothersome before paying for an aftermarket cooler. However, If you are going to pay $100 for an aftermarket cooler have you considered water cooling? Dangerden GTX570 wb is ~119 (just the first site i referenced, not sure if it will fit that specific card). I know there are other costs associated with water cooling just pointing out another option.
 
Last edited:
The stock cooler on the 570 is supposed to be pretty good - I'd give it a try before buying something else.
 
Back
Top