GPU client causing lag in vista??

HighYield

Gawd
I just converted my Ubuntu boxen over to 64 bit vista for GPU folding. Almost nothing is installed on it other than the SMP and GPU (6.12beta8, core1.07) clients.
The set up is:
[email protected]
2 Gig Corsair ram
GA-P35-DS3L mobo
Corsair 550 PS
When I installed Vista I had an 8500GT in there and it got about 800+ppd, but when the GPU client was going (with or without SMP at the same time) the rest of Vista got laggy. I just assumed it was because running the GPU client and Areo with only 16 shaders might have been a lot to ask for. Last night I replaced the 8500 GT with an 8800GTX. I uninstalled the driver first, put the card in, and loaded the driver for the GTX. Everything works but when the GPU client is on it is still laggy. I used this same 8800GTX on a Q6600 Vista 64 system running 2 SMPs and there wasn't any lag at all (asus commando mobo/4 gig ram). Any idea what might be causing the lag? I have tried having the GPU client set to one of the two cores and also to both cores but it lags in either case.

Edit: Update. 7/25/2008

When I installed Vista it had a lowly 8500GT after all it was just an SMP folder. However I just noticed that the areo interface was not translucent like on my other vista rig...and the performance score for the graphics system was still at 1 (it either thought it had the 8500GT or it never tested it and set up areo right). In any case, after running the performance evaluation tool areo became translucent and system the lag went away. Seem like this was more of a Vista/setup glitch and not a GPU folding problem.

Well, on my system with XP, if I isolate the GPU process to one core there's massive lag but the client will make over 1000PPD more. Now Vista is different so I cannot speak from personal experience, but did you isolate the GPU core or set affinities at all? If so, then you might be better off leaving Vista set things.

I had some lag on my HTPC when I was streaming Netflix.

Not sure how to fix it..... I hope an update will take care of it.

So far what I have found is, the more RAM on the mobo the better. Now that's on my quads, I don't have any two channel rigs folding.

XP with 2 gig, very laggy, XP with 3 gigs very much better. Vista 64 with 8 gigs you don't even know it's running.

On Quad chips the GPU client latches onto core #3 like baby pigs feeding. (Was going to use an Angelia Jolie and her twins metaphore there....but well this isn't genmay;) )

On a dual core machine I could see some major issues running both clients.

Luck;)

So far what I have found is, the more RAM on the mobo the better. Now that's on my quads, I don't have any two channel rigs folding.

XP with 2 gig, very laggy, XP with 3 gigs very much better. Vista 64 with 8 gigs you don't even know it's running.

On Quad chips the GPU client latches onto core #3 like baby pigs feeding. (Was going to use an Angelia Jolie and her twins metaphore there....but well this isn't genmay;) )

On a dual core machine I could see some major issues running both clients.

Luck;)

Hummm I'll see, I only have 1 gig in that system, worth a try.

Interesting note about the ram. On my Q6600 vista box with 4 gig ram there is no problem. Even with only running the GPU client and nothing else at all on the dual core vista box it lags...(just moving windows around on the screen even for example). I should have pointed out that the GPU client is not taking a hit in production with the lagging. It is running flat out. I'm getting the same 5200-5400 for the 8800GTX card.

Kendrak- is your HTPC Vista or XP? Let us know how increasing your ram works? (I don't have any extra sticks to test without breaking down another system)

I have tried setting affinity to 1 or both cores with no decrease in lag.
I also tried the GPU client priority at both slightly higher or idle it didn't make a difference.
I know a dual core rig is less powerful than a quad, but on my quad of the same clock speed I have run 2 SMPs, the gpu client, watched DVDs surfed and had outlook open all at the same time with no lag (or at least nothing even close to what is going on with the dual core system). This almost sounds like an XP problem but I really do have vista installed ;)

My HTPC running vista, after I get home from work I'm going to try and "borrow" a stick of ram from another boxen..... I think I know where I can get it.

It's a known issue with NVIDIA GPU2 causing some video lag. However, right now, it's not as bad as initially. Scott will work to improve this with drivers and cores updates but it looks like he is now on vacation because I didn't see him post since a little while.

A good tip if you want to do some video intensive tasks is to pause the gpu2 client then resume when you are done.

Holy smokes :eek:

Please ignore this post if it's "outa' pocket" as far as topics go :rolleyes:

Please don't loose patients with this probably not too swift question. As BillR was saying above about having more RAM . :D

I do very little gaming and even less graphic intensive work on a PC. What I was wondering, I have 2x Q6600's I use primarily for folding (they both fold 24/7) and as of yet I don't even have a CUDA capable card (hopefully that'll change this weekend) I use either machine (depending on what's happening) to mostly "surf" the "Net", email, play some music and occasionally watch and burn a few DVD's (I'd rather watch DVD's on my TV). They both have 2 GB's of PC2 6400 RAM, they both are mildly OC'ed to 3.0 GHz, they both "dual" boot from WinXP Home to Ubuntu 64 v8.04, please remember I'm right on the cusp of finally getting a folding capable GPU (hopefully this weekend), I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to get more or faster RAM.(you know, would it be worth the extra expense vs benefit :confused:)

ATM I'm planning on getting a (gasp, it's not ATI) 8800GT (512 MB) from the egg and if the RAM thing would be beneficial I'd order some more RAM at the same time.

Thanks for any and all answers :p

FOLD ON!

Brother jws2346, don't fret on the 2 GB since it's good for casual computer use. I have a dedicated box running a 8800GT, XP and only 2 GB with 2 VMWare instances of SMP. It is responsive for browsing and burning dvd (the box is a dvd ripping/burning station).

Thanks brother Xilikon :D, I appreciate the fast response. Thanks to you and some of the other computer gurus on this great forum "I'm happy as a lark" with my Q6600's :p so if you say 2x GB's is "cool" then 2x GB's is "cool". ;)

FOLD ON!

If I was to guess, I'd say it wasn't the ram based on my experince with my other gpu folding vista box. As soon as the client is paused it becomes more responsive, I would suspect the gpu client doesn't release it's ram during a pause but only after termination of the application...(I am just guessing here). I'm just wondering if I there is something odd about how the video drivers are set up/mother board is configured. Since the 8800GTX is getting the same ppd that it did on the 4 gig of ram vista box...perhaps the drivers are working ok. :confused:

At least ram is a lot cheaper than it use to be.... guess it wouldn't hurt to drop a little more in there.

Scott himself admitted that there is a issue releasing gpu cycles fully and a fix is in the works. However, adding more ram won't hurt :)

I'm having this same issue trying to get GPU2 to run on a new laptop. (1.6 atom + 9300m)

in XP, gpu2 ran great, in both server 2008 and vista 32, no matter what nvidia driver i use (even 180.x), it lags horribly. This is with the theme service disabled even.

Alternately, an 8400GS (same card as 9300 more or less) runs great on vista 32, and my 8800GT runs good on server 2008

CPU load isn't high at all so i doubt its the atom holding it back

Back