GPU Boost OC

Phlorge

Limp Gawd
Can anybody give me a simple explanation of power % and voltage % on my gtx 1080?

If I set voltage to 120% is it impossible to hurt my card? I remember before boost I could just set the voltage to whatever I wanted and find what was stable myself

Can anybody give me a simple explanation of power % and voltage % on my gtx 1080?

If I set voltage to 120% is it impossible to hurt my card? I remember before boost I could just set the voltage to whatever I wanted and find what was stable myself

Voltage slider just unlocks the higher voltage bins for you to use.

For example, normally cards will boost to around 1025/1050mV for the highest boost bin. If you increase that voltage slider, it's now allowed to go up to the maximum bin of 1093mV.

Power% is similar. Normally the card is locked to the advertised TDP (180W in your case). Increasing that % allows the card to pull more juice overall to support higher clocks. So say the max is 11% and you max it. Now the card can use up to 200W, which is an extra 20W headroom. What this will do is reduce instances of throttling due to lacking power headroom.

Voltage slider is useless, as Pascal doesn't really scale with voltage. You're better off choosing a voltage that best balance heat/core clock. If you have a golden sample, you might even find that undervolting (setting voltage at like 950mV or even lower) will net you the best overclock, due to the reduced heat increasing stability. Pascal is much more heat-sensitive than previous generations.

Voltage slider just unlocks the higher voltage bins for you to use.

For example, normally cards will boost to around 1025/1050mV for the highest boost bin. If you increase that voltage slider, it's now allowed to go up to the maximum bin of 1093mV.

Power% is similar. Normally the card is locked to the advertised TDP (180W in your case). Increasing that % allows the card to pull more juice overall to support higher clocks. So say the max is 11% and you max it. Now the card can use up to 200W, which is an extra 20W headroom. What this will do is reduce instances of throttling due to lacking power headroom.

Voltage slider is useless, as Pascal doesn't really scale with voltage. You're better off choosing a voltage that best balance heat/core clock. If you have a golden sample, you might even find that undervolting (setting voltage at like 950mV or even lower) will net you the best overclock, due to the reduced heat increasing stability. Pascal is much more heat-sensitive than previous generations.

so I have a hybrid 1080 should I just always have the power % at max and the voltage at maxed and throw offsets on the core clock and memory?

what is a good overclock for 1080s? Mine crashed heaven benchmark at 150+ on both..

so I have a hybrid 1080 should I just always have the power % at max and the voltage at maxed and throw offsets on the core clock and memory?

what is a good overclock for 1080s? Mine crashed heaven benchmark at 150+ on both..

You should max out the power slider. Leave the voltage slider alone.

Then OC using the frequency curve. Set the core clock and voltage you want.

c8f619903c.png

In this picture, I'm setting the voltage to be 950mV, and the frequency to be about 1949MHz. So when the card boosts to 3D clock, it'll stay there. Make sure the rest of the line is flat, otherwise it'll not stick with the voltage/frequency combo you chose.

You should max out the power slider. Leave the voltage slider alone.

Then OC using the frequency curve. Set the core clock and voltage you want.

c8f619903c.png

In this picture, I'm setting the voltage to be 950mV, and the frequency to be about 1949MHz. So when the card boosts to 3D clock, it'll stay there. Make sure the rest of the line is flat, otherwise it'll not stick with the voltage/frequency combo you chose.

Does MSI after burner have a curve editor like that? So just mess around with some voltages and higher core clocks? what would be considered too much voltage for a 1080 or is it just a concern about temps?

Does MSI after burner have a curve editor like that? So just mess around with some voltages and higher core clocks? what would be considered too much voltage for a 1080 or is it just a concern about temps?

The screenshot is from MSI Afterburner. Ctrl+F will show the frequency editor.

You can't really go over the safe limit because it's hard-coded to not go above 1093mV no matter what.

Too much voltage for me would be when the cooling solution can no longer keep the card below 70oC. If you go above 70oC I think you lose 1 boost bin (13Mhz), and get much more unstable, since sometimes the card will boost to the highest bin, when temps are still low, but when stressed will boost below that.

The screenshot is from MSI Afterburner. Ctrl+F will show the frequency editor.

You can't really go over the safe limit because it's hard-coded to not go above 1093mV no matter what.

Too much voltage for me would be when the cooling solution can no longer keep the card below 70oC. If you go above 70oC I think you lose 1 boost bin (13Mhz), and get much more unstable, since sometimes the card will boost to the highest bin, when temps are still low, but when stressed will boost below that.

okay awesome -- I will try that. Thank you so much for your help.

Back