• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gps recommendations

faxel

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
106
My friend is looking to update his garmin nuvo. He is a private driver so he needs something with updated maps of the us. I am not sure how much car gps have evolved with traffic info and rerouting capabilities. He travels internationaly as well. Thanks guys
 
Google Maps is an awesome GPS for Android phones.

Not sure about dedicated GPSs though, but map updates, etc generally have a fee associated with them.
 
Thanks for your reply bro. He needs a dedicated gps. I guess one of the 5 inch garmin would work well go has the best map support right know? The traffic on the nuvo is transmitted through FM if I'm not mistaken. Is any one experienced one of these?
 
I'm happy with my Garmin Nuvi 1450. Most of manufacturers have "Lifetime Map" updates now. The traffic option only works for major cities and is tied to the traffic radio (same stations you see advertised on the highway signs around major cities). It works well enough, just don't expect it to work all the time, everywhere.
 
I recommend any Garmin or TomTom GPS with lifetime map updates and a 4.3 or 5-inch screen. I mainly use TomTom myself, but I've had no problems with the few Garmins that I played with in the past. IIRC, they're also the two biggest players worldwide.

Since your friend travels internationally, however, I recommend finding a GPS from the country(-ies) that he plans on visiting. The "lifetime maps" deals normally only work in the country (or region) that the GPS was purchased in, and the one-time costs of regional maps, over the life of said GPS, may not be a worthwhile "investment."
 
I have used Garmin for years and have loved it -- go with Garmin.
 
For a professional driver an iPad with a copy of Navigon on the TomTom software and a dedicated GPS receiver would be best. You can't beat a 9.7inch screen for GPSing..and the dedicated receiver can be placed for optimal signal reception.
 
Back
Top