GPO Software issues

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm somewhat new to the IT world so bear with me. I'm trying to push out an MSI package over the network to a test user. I can assign it to the user and it installs ONLY if I select "Install this application at logon." Any other way and it won't work. Other problem, if the user uninstalls the application, it returns to the Add/Remove list but the program itself is MIA; as in, it doesn't appear in the Start Menu nor the Desktop, nothing in the Program Files folder (restarting or logging on/off doesn't do anything).

I'm at wit's end here...:confused::confused::(:(

What other ways have you tried? Have you checked the event logs on the client machine? It'll normally tell you if and why a group policy assignment failed.

It's never really a good idea to assign an application to the user. Unless you have good reason not to, you assign ( perhaps publish, I get the terms confused ) to the workstation itself.

That said, I would avoid using the GPO software push like the plague. It's really a crippled environment. Instead, I'd look at WPKG.

Assigned to Computer, the machine itself, and the user logging on. Made sure to auto-install when he logs on, nothing worked. I looked in the event log and it somehow cannot find the network folder. However, I can see it perfectly fine on the machine after the test user logs on (he doesn't have admin rights either).

Pushing out software should be done to a workstation like XOR said. Personally I do like usually SMS server now called SCCM server to push out updates. I've only played with SCCM since it came out in 2008 but I've used SMS 2003 quite a bit. It's really solid, just build your package out properly and you'll have no trouble. Trying to do it without SMS/SCCM is a PITA and I usually don't bother.

We don't have SMS or SCCM, only Server 03 (and some 08 boxes in the datacenter). =/

Assigned to Computer, the machine itself, and the user logging on. Made sure to auto-install when he logs on, nothing worked. I looked in the event log and it somehow cannot find the network folder. However, I can see it perfectly fine on the machine after the test user logs on (he doesn't have admin rights either).
What are the permissions on the folder? The machine account needs to have access to it, not the user.

And seriously, I wouldn't use GPO software push in production. It's too limited in what it can do, and it's too touchy.

Here's the issue:

The current GPO is able to push out the old software out without a problem, and also doesn't let users uninstall it. This is perfect, this is what I want. However, as soon as I add any new software, the new one won't install. They all come from the same folder, same privileges, pretty much same everything but it still doesn't let me. I've done a gpupdate, restarted, made sure there weren't errors on the logs... I really don't know. =[

Not that it helps, but this is why I steer clear of GPO software deployments. :D

I think I got most of it figured out, I'm clocking out for today so it's tomorrow's job. I'm a gonna-go enjoy-a mahself, warm day outside, great for a pool swim.

So post the solution in the thread so future peeps doing searches can find it.

My bad, thought I did but I guess I only did that on another forum.

I copied the old GPO that worked and modified it. Really, it was as simple as that, can't believe I didn't do that at first.... =/

GPO Software Push.

Computer
1. Assigned to computer installs automatically upon start up.

2. Published shows up under add remove programs.

User.

1. Assigned to User only creates Icons in the start menu but doesn't install the app
until its opened or a file that is used by the program is double clicked which then initiates the install.

2. Published same as Computer.

Notes

All software GPOs MUST use UNC (universal naming convention) AKA a Share name they cannot us a local file path name.

IE. C:\softwaredb\program.msi is incorrect

\\softwaredb\program.msi is correct.

If you assign a Software GPO to an OU and lets say you want to have that app automatically removed from an a member of that OU
make sure you check the falls out of scope option. So when you move the member of that OU out the app will uninstall automatically.

Hope that helps next time you need a GPO.

Last edited:
Back