• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GParted questions

CreganTur

Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Messages
882
I want to use GParted to change the size of existing partitions on my 200Gb HD.

I have dialup (suck :( ) so I had a friend DL it for me. Well I can't get it to work- it won't install, so he told me to try booting from the disk. It won't boot from it either.

Is GParted supposed to be an application, or do you have to boot to it?

I'm guessing that I'm going to need to DL it myslef- but I can do that with the laptop and a free hotspot sometime soon.

Any tips on using this program also?
 
GParted is a live cd, meaning that you boot from it. You should have no problems downloading it. Just make sure to copy it as an iso file.
 
Gparted is not a live CD by itself, but they do package it with a live CD. Ensure you DLed the Live CD if you wish to boot from it.

If your drive is not the boot disk then you don't even need the ISO, just run the bin, if your running linux.
 
Here is a link that should address any unanswered questions you may have. And this is a nice iso recorder that you may need.
Hope it helps...
 
Well, I downloaded the .ISO along with that ISO loader, but now I'm having a different problem.

I downloaded everything onto my laptop, loaded the ISO loader onto it and burned gparted onto a mini-cd. I burned it two ways: the first one I burned a date cd with the ISO on it, and the second time I burned it I double clicked on the ISO, which opened up my CD burning program.

I'm trying to use gparted on my desktop pc, not the laptop.

I tried to boot from both CDs. The first CD game me the following error: "dynamic drive overlay not loaded" I have no idea what that means.

The second disk would not boot- it just loaded windows as normal.

Any ideas?
 
You need to use the iso recorder tool that you downloaded.

Go the iso file, right click on it and record the image from there using the iso recorder tool. You do not want anything else on the disc except the GParted image.

Oh, and make sure to change the boot order in your bios to cd/dvd first.
 
Well, I burned the ISO with the ISO recorder correctly. But it still won't work.

I keep getting the same dynamic drive overlay error mentioned above when I try to boot from the CD, so I have no idea what's wrong.

I'm pretty certain I'm trying to boot correctly- I insert the cd (using the old paperclip trick) into the cd tray, then power on the comp. I start pressing esc (for my system) as soon as I hear the first BIOS beep. That's when it comes up with a screen saying "press c to boot from CD"...etc. that's also where the error appears when I try to boot.

Any ideas what's wrong? If you need specific system specs I can get them later (at work right now)

I really hope I can get this working because I do not want to have to reformat to fix this partition problem. :(
 
CreganTur said:
I keep getting the same dynamic drive overlay error mentioned above when I try to boot from the CD

I missed this part in your previous post.

Have you ran a virus scan recently? I would try that first, and if you come up with nothing there, something odd is going on with your bios.

System specs would definately help, including bios type, and it would also help to know if you have ezbios or something like disc wizard installed as well.
 
I have a P4 2.5 Ghz processor, VIA motherboard, but I have no idea what kind of BIOS I'm running, and I haven't installed anything other than the standard motherboard drivers (the designation given on the setup program is P4VXASD2+ ; and I don't know if that means anything)

I have 512 Mb of PC2700 RAM...it's actually a 1Gb stick, but my motherboard will only read it as a 512 stick, and I have no idea how to fix that.

I'm also running an AGP ATI X700 graphics card, a 200Gb HD (the one I'm trying to repartition) and a small 4Gb HD for backup.

I don't have any viruses that I can find. However, I am having a problem that may have something to do with this:

when I originally partitioned the 200GB HD I made the C: drive into a 4GB section- I did this with the intention of mirroring my OS (windows XP Pro) on the 4Gb backup drive. I have since scrapped that idea.

I am constantly being told now that I have less than 200 Mb of space left on the C: drive, and can't seem to clear any space off of it. I also have a very high level of fragmentation on the C: drive, which I cannot defrag because I don't have the requisite 15% of free space neccessary for a complete defrag. Also, I only put onto the C: drive the things that won't allow let me put them enywhere else, so there;s really nothing but system files and drivers there.

That's why I want to use GParted- so I can increase the C: drive to a 20 Gb partition, and lower the rest of that HD (E: drive...for some odd reason the backup drive took the D: drive designation :confused: )

If you need any more info I'll be glad to provide it if I can.

BTW: thanks a lot for your help
 
Back
Top