Government unveils world's fastest computer

I hear the cost was closer to $120 million USD. If so, that's a lot for what’s essentially a bunch of hybrid AMD-Playstation 3s strung together (ok, a little more complex than that :) ).

80 Terabytes of memory and 1,000 trillion operations per second?

I guess we don't have much to look foward to in the future since Lt. Commander Data of the U.S.S. Enterprise D has a memory capacity of 800 quadrillion bits but only a total linear computational speed rate of 60 trillion operations per second. :eek:

Pretty sweet. We've got Roadrunner, Red Storm and Encanto (even though it's not at one of the labs..) here in NM :)

yay go IBM. Power 6 FTW!

yeah so it is there own POWER instruction set.

Lame. Woulda been cool if it was X86. No Folding client on POWER, sorry :(

80 Terabytes of memory and 1,000 trillion operations per second?

I guess we don't have much to look foward to in the future since Lt. Commander Data of the U.S.S. Enterprise D has a memory capacity of 800 quadrillion bits but only a total linear computational speed rate of 60 trillion operations per second. :eek:

lemme ask you a question:

how long till something with that much power is in my living room? 6-7 years?

lemme ask you a question:

how long till something with that much power is in my living room? 6-7 years?

Ha. Don't you wish.

And the only people to blame for a lack of a Folding client, is the people writing the client. Besides, you don't want an AIX Folding client. Then I might throw it on my H80.

WOW thats fast! im amazed! Its so interesting how far technology has gone in the last 60 years! I bet nothing even comes close to half what IBM just accomplished! 80TB of ram, whoaaaaaaaaaa.

Nice computer I'll buy one in a few years... haha or not.

AreEss: You want to adopt me/take me on as an apprentice (seriously, who uses this word anymore but it seems fitting)? :D

Back