Got win 10 stutter?

That is 100% BS.

Period.

Its not 2003 anymore, Windows 10 is slightly more intelligent. Don't install crap software thinking its suddenly going to make the $150 GPU you bought perform like the $300 one you wanted.

I was noticing stutter on my machine, but that's cuz Chrome is just allergic to Netflix. Literally any other browser (Firefox, Edge, Vivaldi) - no problem.
But yeah, haven't used a 'tweak' since the Windows XP vanilla days. I thought we were past that now lol.

one "kind of exception" is Mantle or Vulkan "done right" for Radeons, that very much can make even lowly GPU perform like they are at a higher tier (though this also applies for higher tier as well though is not as "pronounced" in regards to raw "uplift" comparatively speaking) then again, few games or whatever have used Mantle/Vulkan to its best effect (same goes for Radeon in general, especially when Nv has anything to "say" about it)

Very true overall though, beyond overclocking and picking appropriate settings on a game/application that takes advantage of the underlying architecture of the GPU, you cannot "magically" make something that does not have the raw "guts" perform at a much higher level...Radeons are "difficult" to optimize for in the first place compared to Nv products (all that entails) though that is beyond the point...cannot make a 100HP engine perform like it is a 1000hp engine, you can "tune it" but that only gets you so far ^.^

---------------------------------------
--------------

as to some of the above comments..in "theory" freeing ram more "aggressively" i.e purging absolutely helps BUT when a program needs to run on top of what is baked into the OS generally speaking it will not run as well as having enough RAM to begin with and/or just using proper settings very very rarely are there "easy tricks" seeing as Windows has gotten "smarter" over the years and handles most of that stuff properly anyways (as long as you do not misuse it, or a shitty game/app is breaking things).

Here's my advice, since we're all [H]ard here... I suggest using Process Hacker.
For those unfamiliar, it's kinda like M$'s built-in "Resource Monitor", crossed with "Task Manager", but with a whole whack of other useful things... as well as tons more abilities that are beyond me (DLL Injection, debug stuff, blah blah) :)

Use "Process Hacker" and then go about using "Suspend" on various background processes that are eating up cycles but are out of your control in terms of getting them to not run (beyond some serious editing). For example, on my laptop, it has a Connexant audio chip and the typical audio control panel program associated with it. There's also this other curious program that runs called "Flow". I looked it up once upon a time and... well it never was all that clear as to its purpose and use, but it sure does love to just sit there in the background, consuming 4-7% process cycles! It's actually enough to increase the idle temp significantly.

I found it mentioned in some of the installer config files for the audio control panel, but in the end I didn't really feel like going through so much trial and error to get it shut off. Since I leave the laptop either running, or sleep it (like my desktop), once I use Process Hacker to Suspend Flow.exe, it stays that way. As for why I don't just end task on it, is because it has shown to come back before long, and I'd just be chasing it. When it's Suspended though, it's not running at all so it's like I've closed it... yet it is still "open", and whatever it is can't 'wake' it back up :) I do that with some of the HP bloatware as well, but for the most part I've shut that all down or uninstalled. This is just the Help Assistant which is an actually-useful program, so I don't want to disable those processes and be unable to use it :p

Like Task Manager, it lets you set affinity and priority, but it has a few other tricks up its sleeve. For starters, it also has I/O Priority, which I'm sure doesn't really do much for desktop users but I still like to set my games to High just for peace of mind lol The other trick being it can "save" those priorities you've set to that specific program. Sadly it doesn't have that for Affinity though. There's also the ability to go into a processes' threads and view how much memory they're using, their processor load, and even change their priority. Again, as to the usefulness of that in practice, I dunno... But I like to tinker and it gives me more switches to flip lol Lastly, it lets you free up resources (RAM) on a per-process basis (right-click a process, go to Misclaneous, and "Reduce working set"), or on a group of them that you've selected. On the desktop I don't find this of much use given it has 16GB, but also processes don't really hog RAM like they do on laptops I've owned. Either way, when paired with Suspend, it's handy, since when you Suspend a process, it's still holding it's place in memory. After you tell it to "Reduce Working Set" though, that gets reduced to 4KB! :D

Again, on desktop it probably won't have much allure in most cases (unless you have an older system), but on a laptop it can be really handy, particularly if you're on Battery and need to save as much power as you can.
Just be sure you're not Suspending important Windows services or the like (if you hover a service process like "svchost", it'll even tell you what Service it's for and if any other ones rely on it).

That's just my two copper-clad-zinc's worth. :pompous:

Last edited:
one "kind of exception" is Mantle or Vulkan "done right" for Radeons, that very much can make even lowly GPU perform like they are at a higher tier (though this also applies for higher tier as well though is not as "pronounced" in regards to raw "uplift" comparatively speaking) then again, few games or whatever have used Mantle/Vulkan to its best effect (same goes for Radeon in general, especially when Nv has anything to "say" about it)

Very true overall though, beyond overclocking and picking appropriate settings on a game/application that takes advantage of the underlying architecture of the GPU, you cannot "magically" make something that does not have the raw "guts" perform at a much higher level...Radeons are "difficult" to optimize for in the first place compared to Nv products (all that entails) though that is beyond the point...cannot make a 100HP engine perform like it is a 1000hp engine, you can "tune it" but that only gets you so far ^.^

---------------------------------------
--------------

as to some of the above comments..in "theory" freeing ram more "aggressively" i.e purging absolutely helps BUT when a program needs to run on top of what is baked into the OS generally speaking it will not run as well as having enough RAM to begin with and/or just using proper settings very very rarely are there "easy tricks" seeing as Windows has gotten "smarter" over the years and handles most of that stuff properly anyways (as long as you do not misuse it, or a shitty game/app is breaking things).

RTX cards love Vulkan too.

On every new Win10 install/re-install, my first steps are to disable indexing on the system drive, and superfetch and other services useless to me, then onto gpedit to turn off windows store, messenger, plus data collection and various other things. Whether this helps performance by freeing up resources is debatable, but it's more about my desire to have the leanest running Win10 I can manage. OCD doesn't like extraneous and hidden processes.

2mtwcc.jpg

I'll tell you what concerns me, is all these game launchers....

I've currently got Bethesda, Blizzard, Steam, Uplay, and Epic Games running....

You're aware startup management is built into the task manager and the rest of the crap CCleaner does is worthless, right?
It's just like weight loss: everyone wants a magic pill. In this case, a magic software program to make their computer faster.

I only run one at a time usually. Why run them all the time since you arent using one of their games all the time. Minimizes chance for bs imo.

Yeah, I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks as an experiment.

Why run them all the time? .... auto-updates

I have definitely been one of those people that runs a "clean boot". Now, in the age of 16GB, I'm more concerned about cpu-cycles than RAM usage.

The problem is real. I doubt this will help. Is it safe to give it a try? Whats the worst that could happen?

I only run one at a time usually. Why run them all the time since you arent using one of their games all the time. Minimizes chance for bs imo.
Me, I SUSPEND them :p

I left it out of my post, but I've actually been experimenting (successfully) the last few months with Suspending games, too, leaving them "open" in the background. Windows will automatically purge what RAM it needs to from them, and the VRAM as well. Some games are quick to start up and no need to Suspend. Dying Light for example, with the "-NoLogos" startup command (otherwise that unskippable "This is what it looks like when we're Saving game" screen takes awhile). No Man's Sky on the other hand, takes quite awhile, and there are times I just want to jump into gaming and not sit there heh Granted, it might be worth moving NMS over to the NVMe SSD but that game does lots of writing so I didn't want to wear on the NAND heh

But yea there have been zero issues with gaming and Suspending. For that matter, I've sometimes left Dying Light running, in focus, and just put the computer to sleep. Other than being in Windowed Mode and having to click the screen, it's woke up fine with the game running. Once upon a time that'd have resulted in a BSOD or a graphics driver shitting the bed lol

LOL. I never even considered sleeping my computer with a game running. Amazing it works!

Anyone have this issue able to run RAMMap to tell what's filling it so quickly after being cleared? There's probably one or more applications hammering the disk non-stop that's the real problem.

Anyone have this issue able to run RAMMap to tell what's filling it so quickly after being cleared? There's probably one or more applications hammering the disk non-stop that's the real problem.
Windows automatically caches things into memory so things that you use often startup quicker. It also keeps things recently used in memory in case you need to go back to it. That second process is the point of contention that the program linked in the OP's article supposedly resolves. It might be an issue for those people who only have 8GB of memory, but it really shouldn't be if you have 16GB or more. Can't say I've ever run into this issue having 32GB.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Back