Got Vista 64, should I get 7 for gaming?

thetruth

Gawd
I can get 7 for $34 via student discount. Is it worth it for gaming? I would really like to get something that is smoother overall. 64 is ok but yeah, kind of dead. I have a decent 9450, 4870X2 4 gb pc.

I can get 7 for $34 via student discount. Is it worth it for gaming? I would really like to get something that is smoother overall. 64 is ok but yeah, kind of dead. I have a decent 9450, 4870X2 4 gb pc.

For $34 I'd definitely pick it up, just for it's overall polish, but if gaming is all you care you about there is no real difference.

i would not expect your gaming performance to change much but the overall system should operate faster.
I'd do it for $100, at $35 there is no question.

It's completely worth it just for general use, my gaming performance is slightly better in some games. It uses a lot less resources on startup which can be helpful. Go for it!

I would do it just for the more stable environment especially at that price.

I've been using VISTA 64 since last March, when I bought this Core i7. I've never had a problem with anything. I bought more than 50 modern titles last year - only Empire Total War crashes on me consistently. If you're in University, and you're completely and utterly strapped for cash, and the money could be used to buy something like Civ 4, then buy Civ 4 instead. That's my advice.

You will not notice a boost in gaming performance with that system. I 100% guarantee it. People here that are telling you to buy 7 are doing so simply based on the features alone, or because they are fools. 7's gaming performance on high end machines is virtually identical to Vista. If you had an older gaming machine then I would consider it just because 7 does scale down better than Vista memory wise on 1GB of ram. More ram than that and it uses almost the exact same amount.

Now, this all said, I would still upgrade to 7 just because the features are worth $30. Don't expect a performance boost though.

For $34 I'd definitely pick it up, just for it's overall polish, but if gaming is all you care you about there is no real difference.

Not true Win7 has DX11 now as it concerns gaming, however there are loads of other reason to be using WIn7.

I can say that i'm very satisfied after upgrading from XP...and from what I've always heard Vista was shit compared to XP.

Not true Win7 has DX11 now as it concerns gaming, however there are loads of other reason to be using WIn7.

vista has dx11 as well.. but overall w7 uses less resources which allows for more memory to be allocated to games if your some one that doesnt run more then 4 gigs of ram..

There haven't been enough DX 11 titles to test the theory that a game that runs under DX11 will run better in Win7 than in Vista 64.

It is a misconception by many, however, that you need Win7 to run DX11 - and of course you don't. I'm not sure why so many people seem to think this.

I noticed absolutely no performance difference in anything when I switched to Win7 from Vista. I think you should switch to Win7 anyway since overall it's a better OS, but if performance is what you're concerned about, that isn't enough of a reason in and of itself to make the switch.

Won't gain much in gaming, but you'll be getting a better OS by far. I don't miss my Vista at all

Who cares about gaming, W7 is lightyears better than vista all around. Get it.

It doesn't matter. I have used both on the same machine and am currently using them both on different PCs and there is little difference.

As for the operating systems themselves, they are also very similar to each other. I guess you could say Windows 7 is more of a lightweight version of Vista with some new features. Overall they are both excellent operating systems.

7 is a good OS and worth getting on it's own merits, especially since you get that awesome Student discount price. However, don't expect it to be practically any different from Vista as far as gaming performance goes.

i recently switched from vista x64 to win 7 pro x64 and would do it again. i also got it with the student discount. its well worth the $30.

i did a clean install btw.

performance seems identical between the two operating systems but 7 has more usable features than vista.

any killing floor or cs 1.6players playing on windows 7 ? I run XP and 7 on dual boot, my framerate in killing floor is a little bit higher and smoother, but at the same i get tons of stuttering and hitches, while on XP it's butter smooth :S I get some weird pauses while playing cs 1.6 on deathmatch servers, any known fix ? sorry for the thread hijacking

Vista and Windows 7 use the same underlying graphics system, DX11 should work identically on both.

I think older games that are unstable with memory management, like Morrowind, should run more stable.

Vista and Windows 7 use the same underlying graphics system, DX11 should work identically on both.

The only difference between Vista and 7, with regard to the video subsystems, is the upgraded WDM in 7. And that only has any effect when in 2D. WDM 1.0 uses both video and system RAM to hold the displaying image while WDM 1.1 only uses the videocard(if using the appropriate driver and graphics card). In 3D, there will be no difference. As it's been said before, in terms of just gaming, there is no real need to upgrade the OS. But for general usage, I can't recommend 7 enough. It takes Vista's solid core and only adds more and useful features on top while improving the user experience with a better UI.

I would do it just for the more stable environment especially at that price.

Sure Vista sucked hard when it first came out, especially with Nvidia drivers, but it's stable now. I can't remember the last time it crashed for me.

vista has dx11 as well.. but overall w7 uses less resources which allows for more memory to be allocated to games if your some one that doesnt run more then 4 gigs of ram..

My point was out of the box Win7 has DX11 support... How Vista runs DX11 compared to Win7 that remains to be determined.

Are you sure you can still get it for $34 with the student discount? Last I looked, that deal was dead the first week in January. It's back up to $65 for students on theultimatesteal

My point was out of the box Win7 has DX11 support... How Vista runs DX11 compared to Win7 that remains to be determined.

runs it exactly the same.. they are the exact same dx11 drivers.. theres nothing special about w7 vs vista with dx11.. essentially w7 is a cleaned up version of vista.. the base code is exactly the same all they did was remove a lot of the bloatware and useless windows 2k files that were left in vista..

runs it exactly the same.. they are the exact same dx11 drivers.. theres nothing special about w7 vs vista with dx11.. essentially w7 is a cleaned up version of vista.. the base code is exactly the same all they did was remove a lot of the bloatware and useless windows 2k files that were left in vista..

That may very well be true but I would like to see numbers for VISTA SP2x64 VS Windows 7x64 in Dirt Two and or the new soon to be released AvP... I would guess Win7 comes out on top..

Back