Got Rack Space... Now What?

TangledThorns

Limp Gawd
I work for a commercial ISP and can be given free rack space and my own /24 IP address for my own server. I want to use a old WinXP machine for backing up data off my current home PC. My own Mozy if you will.

What do I need to do configure my old PC to be accessed from home?

If it's easier a link on how to do this would be good too as I'm not sure where to go. Thanks!

First off, you have rack space, so you need a rackmount server. I doubt you have enough space to put in a desktop machine that may take 4 - 6U or more. A 2U Norco case would be a cheap choice - maybe you can put your existing mb/cpu into it

Second, you're going to want to run something that is accessable from the web - unless you plan to use a VPN. Windows Home Server might do the trick, not sure.

My suggestion is to go to ebay and get a HP rack server cheap, and put ESXi (free, and can run from a USB key!). Then install whatever OS you need (Win2008, FreeNAS etc.). If you get only one IP you can use something like m0n0wall as a firewall for the whole box...

This will be for simple back-ups of my home documents (files, photos). We have shelves and I can lay my PC right on one. Can't I just use this PC with WindowsXP Home 32-bit for this purpose? I'm just looking for a super cheap way to do back-ups using an old PC. The paid for back-up services don't fill my needs.

You could always just put an ftp server on your box, like FileZilla server or similar. It wont be the most elegant solution but it would work and its free.

We have shelves and I can lay my PC right on one.

so.... you have shelf space not rack space....

if they are giving you a space, you can put whatever you want there i suppose. if you wanted to put a 486 with windows 98 with a network card there you could. if you ask [H]'s oppinion we will obviously always tell you to go big or go home.

so.... you have shelf space not rack space....

if they are giving you a space, you can put whatever you want there i suppose. if you wanted to put a 486 with windows 98 with a network card there you could. if you ask [H]'s oppinion we will obviously always tell you to go big or go home.

Ok, let's forget about the rackspace please :) I want to use my old WinXP Home PC and will be given a dedicated IP for it. How do I upload/download files to it, what is the easiest way to go about this? From home I'm using a Vista 64bit OS. Is there something built in both OS's that I can use?

I just heard a windows xp box with a public ip. Be sure you have antivirus and all updates done, and firewall on. or even better, have some firewall rules in front of it, with a open run from your ip at home to work.

Back