Got new case and....

l337*g0at

Gawd
Well, I didnt like my modded out chenming anymore,so i bought a new coolermaster centuron2 (CAC-T02). I installed all my hardware from the other case and before that,everything worked perfectly. i worked on hard wood flooring and set everything on top of a plastic box.. i turn it on , and i can hear the 3 hard drives click and start running but nothing appears on the screen.
ive reseated the ram/processor/videocard and messed with them over and over again.

i just hope i didnt kill my 9800pro ,because it wasnt cheap...as yall know...

my system :

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
AMD 1800+
1x 512/ 2x256 sticks of ddr 2100ram
Western digital 120 gig in IDE1
Western digital 80 gig in raid0
western digital80 gig in raid0
possibly fubar radeon 9800-128meg ?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Please help. I hate this laptop

Do you hear any beeps out of the internal speaker? Do you get an error code for no video or something, or do you get a single beep like saying all-is-well like systems normally do when they post? Or jsut nothing at all?

Hey, thanks for the speedy reply..

I get nothing on the monitor,and no beeps from the internal sepaker. -g0at

Unplug everything except the motherboard, CPU and power supply (and leave the switch hooked up so you can turn it on, obviously :p.. And leave the internal speaker). Take the RAM out and video card and everything. Then try to boot, you should at least get a beep telling you there's no RAM or video or something. If you do, then start replacing the stuff one-by-one until the problem recreats itself.

If it won't boot still, make sure the CPU is completely seated (I know, it sounds stupid to say, but I spend 2 hours troubleshooting my system only to find out the CPU wasn't seated, and I seated it wrong twice in a row). Press down firmly on the CPU while you close the lever just to make sure

Just some ideas...

Well, I did what you said... But I'm having problems after problems.... The speaker makes a dull scratch noise ; static like 3 times when nothing is intergrated except the psu/mobo/proc.... I took out another speaker from the chenming case and still heard the same sound.

I removed the proc 5 times going on 1billion, and did what you said to do..
Guess I'll be headed up to Best Buy when they open to get myself a new videocard. If it isnt the videocard causing the chaos, then I'm going to :confused: big time.

-g0at

Have you tried resetting your bios? I moved a system recently to a new case and found that it wouldn't boot after putting it together. Worked on it for a couple of hours before it dawned on me to try that. And voila it booted

Reset the bios,to no avail.Monitor still stays blank with the green led blinking..... I'm waiting for a geforce fx5600 from a friend that owes me, but hes at work ( where i should be ) - g0at

You probably tried this, but how about just gutting everything and starting from scratch? Even have the mobo instructions handy as well, make sure your plugging EVERYTHING in correctly... I had to do this a couple times before my rig started to work again in the new case...

my .02

heh, damn i apreciate all the help, but nothing has seemed to work (even gutting the case). I looked on some tech sites and found out that there is no reset cmos jumpers on the ga-7vaxp, so you have to remove the cmos battery from the motherboard. i did that and still nothing. the video card is good. i remembered that i have a compaq presario with an agp slot ; i plugged in the card, and everything worked fine on the presario. now when i try to open my cd-roms ( dvdrom , cd burner) only one will open. the power is good and they are both operating on the same ide channel is what gets me confused.. im happy i dont have to buy another/and/or RMA my card.

still though.. monitor plugged into the card, and the monitor still wont turn from black.i have also checked the monitor by hooking it up tomy laptop...

Please help ! -g0at

Have you tryed your old power supply? Like edge said it really sounds like a PSU

Pull the motherboard out of the case and make sure you don't have an extra standoff behind there shorting things out. Happens more often then people will admit I bet:D

ha this is what i went through for about a week and a half....moved from one case to another and just started having problems up the arse..lockups,bsods'....and then just the other day it starts workin fine. never did find out the problem aint that somethin...well good luck my friend

Well, I took out the motherboard,found no crap behind there... i took out my psu,opened it up, cleaned out the dust and still the same problem. The ga-7vaxp hasno reset cmos jumper, but it has the silver plates where the two prongs should be. i turned it on, and shorted it out with a screwdriver..removed cmos battery unplugged the power from the motherboard and waited 3 hours.put them back in,and still nothing..

What confuses me is that the cd burner and dvd rom drive are both on the same IDE channel (IDE2) and only the burner drive will make a clicking noise, while the cd burner led lights up but when i press the eject button, it makes noises like it will open, but it just flashes the led at me again...

i'M so pissed right now..i get my paycheck today, so i guess ill just have to take it to Fry's tech support center..

:mad: -g0at

Do you have a spare ATX psu to test it out with? That seems to be the next stage... Power supply might be bad. Maybe borrow one from that compaq presario you mentioned? After making sure they don't use some weird layout for the ATX connector like dell does...

Well, I ripped out the atx psu out of the presario, and still the same 'ol shiat..

Its gotta be the cmos battery, or bios needs to be reset (Correctly) since I guess the way I've been doing it isn't the correct way for the ga-7vaxp to reset.

I have taken out the cmos batery for 20mins-3hrs at a time.
Taken out the cmos battery and unplugged the power from the mobo
Done the above two and stuck a screw driver to the reset cmos standoffs. (Since there is no jumper)
I have done them over and over again...

I should have just stuck to the shitty chenming

I'm needing all the help I can get these days. -g0at

Yeah, I know that its the bios.....I've done everything to try to fix it. I'm going to take it to a computer store or something, but I'd rather fix it myself.. -g0at

i had this exact same problem when i changed cases. My video card wouldnt work. So what i did is a left the card about 1 - 2mm out of the slot and it worked fine. I got a new psu as well

mc_p, ok,thanks,that is the only thing I haven't tried... I'll update yall if it works or doesnt work. -g0at

gut the thing and try to get it to work on a peace of wood, just lying out no case, be sure the psu is working, try the pc with no drives or cards in it, (exept video) if you can try difrent video cards

if that doesnt work strip the hole thing, and do it again, cpu, ram, vidcard, psu, and see if that works (literaly take the cpu out and put it back in)

No CMOS jumper, but it has a spot where one should be?
Is it possible it was broken off somehow?
Does anyone know if a mobo will work with the CMOS jumper removed?
Oh, and I don't think it's a good idea to short the CMOS jumper (as in trying to clear) with power to the board. (Not sure about this)
Did you try jumping the CMOS in the "run" position then trying to start the board?

The clear CMOS bridges have the pins missing on every ga-7vaxp board made. I was confused about this at first,but I researched it and found it out on several other websites....

I'm going to try BLsibub666's idea and try to boot it up with out the case.

-g0at

if you cant jump to clear cmos then take the batery out and kill the power totaly (pull the plug) for a hour or two, or flip the power switch on the psu to off, and then hit power, the pc will try to power up, zaping the power out of the battery, clearing cmos.

good luck

Back