Got my toy (I-Ram) working...

Comte

Gawd
I got my I-ram working. I set it up with 4 GB of ram (which it is only seeing 3.0gb, but thats probably because I used high density memory which Gigabyte told me might cause problems) and set up my swap file on it. I know what the reviews said, but while XP isnt faster per say, I see fewer skips or delays loading information in games, like Tiger Woods 2008 and Oblivion. (Only two I tested, but I just got HL Episode 2 and i will test that tonight after work.) They just seem smoother.......

So, if I can trade this 4gb of High Density Samsung memory for 4gb of good quality low density memory, I think it was worth the money I put in it.

if you're using it for swapfile, how is this better than spending the money on system RAM?

if you're using it for swapfile, how is this better than spending the money on system RAM?

I have 3gb of system ram running dual channel now. So thats not an issue. Plus, windows is going to make a swap file either way, the swap file might as well be on the fastest media available.

I didn't realize you could run dual channel with an odd amount of ram... I thought it didn't actually work without matched pairs.

hes prob running 2x1 and 2x512

i-ram is ok but the 4gb is too small to do anything good with it

Find a mobo that has 4 PCI slots still and RAID0 some I-RAMS! .... not. Although if I had one I would indeed use it for a pagefile.

I didn't realize you could run dual channel with an odd amount of ram... I thought it didn't actually work without matched pairs.

Two 1gb sticks in one set of slots, two 512 in the other. The computer is saying they are in dual channel and are working properly.

hes prob running 2x1 and 2x512

i-ram is ok but the 4gb is too small to do anything good with it

It is too small, but I got it as a toy, and its making a difference in gameplay. It would be great if they went to DDR SoDIMMs and SATA2, then they could put double the slots for the same space and depending on how much memory you could get for it it might be worth trying the OS on it. But it is too small for that right now.

So for a toy, how much did that thing end up costing, for the 4gb ddr and the iram itself... I looked on ebay and they seem pricey.

So for a toy, how much did that thing end up costing, for the 4gb ddr and the iram itself... I looked on ebay and they seem pricey.

I spend $93 on the I-Ram and $129 on the cheap high density 1gb sticks of ram. Around $220 total...

The OS is pretty low on the list of things I would put in an iRAM, mostly because i don't trust it for long term storage without a physical hard disk to parity to during shutdown.

They need to update the iRAM in a few places too; first on the list is making it PCIe and allowing data transfer over the PCIe slot (in addition to an optional SATA II interface just in case there's a compatibility problem). Next they need to double the number of RAM slots, turn them 90 degrees, make them mini-sticks (like those used in laptops), and allow sticks up to 2GB in size. Lastly they need to add a redundant battery just in case the first one dies.

That would get you up to a 16GB drive capable of transfer speeds that far exceed SATA; make the adaptable so you can use it in anything from a PCIe 1x to a 16x slot and you're looking at off-the-charts performance (how much data can a PCIe 16x slot move again?)

And when i say "adaptable", I mean something like the image below, so it can be used in anything from a 1X to a 16X slot without the need for completely different cards, and so that increased performance can be gained by those who have an extra 16x slot on hand (more people than you might think have a spare 16x slot):
iram2co1.png

so how does this compare to using one of those 8gb compact flash drives i heard about? price and performance wise?

so how does this compare to using one of those 8gb compact flash drives i heard about? price and performance wise?
From a low-level perspective, it absolute rapes them: It has twice the STR of the `higher end' SSDs you can buy and a lower access time, in addition, it will not wear out.

I won a auction on ebay. It was new, in the box, never been used....I got lucky, i think...
Make sure you check the shape of the battery every once in a while. Mine expanded quite a bit and ever since it has not been working correctly anymore.

Back