Got my ROG Swift!

Status
Not open for further replies.
>You can't compare the TV industry of 2006 to the TV/Monitor industry of now. Every TV I've seen past >2008 (when I bought my first LCD TV) has been glossy/semi-glossy.

That's what I'm getting at, and no one is complaining about those obnoxious reflections on the glossy tv's for some reason.

Do you think they would use 3h coatings on tv's if it was feasible?

That's what I'm getting at, and no one is complaining about those obnoxious reflections on the glossy tv's for some reason.

Do you think they would use 3h coatings on tv's if it was feasible?

I don't know, it's impossible to say. Maybe a TV targeted at gamers that uses a grainy matte coating would exist, if it were possible.

What I'm trying to get at is that monitors companies are no more out of touch than TV companies are. In only a few years most consumer display companies have opted to switch to grain-free matte coatings, axe PWM, and now even 27" 1440p IPS displays are delay-free, like the Asus PB278QR and LG 27MB85R-B. But then we have anomalies like the ROG Swift - targeted at gamers who will buy next to anything that has 144hz and g-sync slapped on to it.

At the end of the day, companies are selling to the masses. TV manufacturers like Samsung do not care about PWM and input-lag because the masses are too ignorant to complain about them. This parallels the ROG Swift; Asus does not care that their monitor uses a grainy matte coating. Why would they care? It's nearly always sold out!

You're right in that TV manufacturers have gone to great lengths to eliminate glare on their glossy coatings, but monitor manufacturers have also applied the same amount of effort into preserving image quality. Not everyone wants a matte coating, not everyone wants a glossy coating. I like matte coatings, but only grain-free variants. It's inexcusable to me that Asus has decided to use a grainy variant when nearly all 27-32" IPS/VA panels have opted for light-matte/semi-glossy coats; it's insulting.

Anyway, I lied and posted again. Nikyo out!

lol please quit posting that ridiculous example of missing the forest for the trees

Nothing ridiculous about that example, as opposed to presenting an empirical indisputable fact, i.e. matte coatings distort pixels. Whether or not that is acceptable to you is a different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back