Got my new G5 crack today (pic of course!)

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
Got my Apple refubished Dual G5 1.8 (June 2004 edition) today! It has it's home in a newly drywalled dormer space off of my office. Now that's some crack for ya!

Came with 256 megs of RAM, but I had a dual 1 gig Corsair kit and popped that in. Yes, I know the Dell 20" flat panel is blaspehmous :p, but I'm saving up for a 30" Cinema Display and video card for it. This one came with a GeForce FX5200 which is fine for now.

Also one of the fans is making a buzzing noise. These are supposed to be really quiet right? Buzzing isn't normal in my opinion.

obligatory pic:

g5-resized.jpg

that thing is sexy, but the monitor kinda looks outta place. I'm ordering a iBook tomorrow and cant wait. :) grats.

I really wish I could trade the TiBook in for a dual G5.

Only two more years 'til I graduate. :(

-Matt

illgiveumorality said:
Can you tell which fan is buzzing?

It's one of the two that blow onto the G5's chips. I unplugged the top one for the PCI bay and it didn't go away. (I plugged it back in after the test)

I'm going to call them tomorrow when I have the time. Hopefully they can just send me a new fan unit. It's under warranty and I've got Applecare for it too.

Yeah, they'll just send you a new fan unit.

The thing was probably returned to Apple becuase the fan buzzed. :D :rolleyes:

heh, I'd deal with fan buzz to have the G5.

Hell, i'd have to quiet EVERYTHING else in my office to hear the fan buzz anyhow.

Well, I was in class this morning in my schools new G5 lab. A bunch of Dual G5 2.0's. They make a similar buzzing noise.

I think it's just overly obvious to me because it's right next to my head. I'm going to make a small stand and put it on the floor and see if it's any better, annoyance wise. If it's not I'll call Apple and ask for a service.

Yeah, these things are WHISPER quiet. I have the 1.6 uni-processor. Can't hear it when it's on. I remember the dual 1.8's on display at the local CompUSSR's, you had to put your hand behind the fans and feel the breeze to verify the fans were working. Get the fan unit swapped out, you'll be happy.

ProphetSix said:
Yeah, these things are WHISPER quiet. I have the 1.6 uni-processor. Can't hear it when it's on. I remember the dual 1.8's on display at the local CompUSSR's, you had to put your hand behind the fans and feel the breeze to verify the fans were working. Get the fan unit swapped out, you'll be happy.

Cool, thank you for the info. I wonder if the one at school I listened too is screwed up as well?

Prolly are. I hear hte fans at start-up, but after that, nothing. Got a external HDD with a 40mm fan in it. It's loud as hell compared to the G5, and it's on the OTHER side of the comp from me; I can hear it through the G5.

Stupid idea: two fans, one's making noise. Did you try swaping hte fans top to bottem? Jsut a random thought. Prolly worth getting Apple to warranty it out.

shoney said:
I like your unfinished room.

me too :D

I was going to take the time to mud and tape the drywall, and put down a proper floor, but decided I just didn't want to put any more money into it. In the past two months I bought an '05 Toyota 4Runner and the G5. My wallet is crying, lol. Finishing the room, as it is, cost me $225! I thought I'd keep it cheap.

It's actually quite cozy. Not so small that there's no room to breath, but enough room for two people and the gear. I have a keyboard drawer for that desk I'm going to put on this weekend, and I'll probably build a rack to house the G5, my Lacie firewire drives, video decks, and a spot for my video monitor on top to keep the actual desk nice and spacious.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
G5 are damn sexy

which i can afford one and run garageband

I was just mucking around with Garageband. It's like night and day between the G5 and my Dual 1.3 G4. The G5 is so much faster and more repsonsive!

I think the G4 and it's Pro Tools Digi 001 may be heading to Ebay.

ProphetSix said:
Prolly are. I hear hte fans at start-up, but after that, nothing. Got a external HDD with a 40mm fan in it. It's loud as hell compared to the G5, and it's on the OTHER side of the comp from me; I can hear it through the G5.

Stupid idea: two fans, one's making noise. Did you try swaping hte fans top to bottem? Jsut a random thought. Prolly worth getting Apple to warranty it out.

I unplugged the top fan that cools the PCI bay to see if that was the one making noise. But it's definately one of the two blowing on the CPU's. A simple swap once I call thankfully.

Wait there are fans on the heatsinks? I thought they just had really huge heatsinks and no fans?

shoney said:
Wait there are fans on the heatsinks? I thought they just had really huge heatsinks and no fans?

They have fans at the front of the case that blows air over them and out the back side.

Back