Got my LEETGION Hellion mouse today... some initial thoughts..

Xeth

[H]ard|Gawd
First of all thanks to LEETGION and [H] for sending me this mouse.

Here are my thoughts during unpacking. My points of reference are the various Razer and Logitech gaming mice I've owned (Diamondback, Deathadder, MX518, G400)

Pictures to come...

1. Pro: The mouse came in a very sexy package. Much more appealing any mice packaging I've seen. Outward appearance screams premium product.

2. Con: The packaging fails at its other job: protect the actual product. The mouse itself is actually free to move around inside the transparent hard plastic case. As a result, during shipping, the topmost portion of the mouse banged repeatedly into the plastic, and some of the finish was scratched off. This also indicates that the finish on the mouse is not particularly durable.

3. Pro: Extra set of feet included in with the mouse.

4. Pro: Driverless DPI switching. Unlike Razer (and like Logitech), DPI switching can be done without any drivers installed. Also with the 5700 DPI sensor the sensitivity range is simply HUGE.

5. Con: Terrible DPI switching button placement. The buttons are placed at the rear of the mouse just below where your wrist would be. This makes them useless for on the fly switching.

6. Pro: Blingtastic LED lighting with 16.7 million color adjustment to match any backlit keyboard.

7. Con: Blingtastic LED lighting makes you want to hide the mouse when people come over.

8. Pro: Attack side button is very well placed and useful. Compared to both Razer and Logitech mice, where the side buttons are somewhat awkward to use, the attack side button on this mouse feels very natural to use as it sits right underneath where the thumb grips the mouse. The large travel on the button (or key I should say) prevents accidental clicks.

9. Con: Shoulder buttons too small and prone to misclick. The two shoulder buttons are so small that you end up clicking the main left/right buttons when you try to click them. This issue is probably mitigated by longer term use as you get used to the mouse, but my first impression is that they are awkward and useless.

10. Pro: Braided cord that's very sturdily mated to the mouse. Unlike Razer mice where the cord can actually wiggle at the point where attaches to the mouse (resulting in the connections to eventually wear out), the connection point on this mice looks like it's designed to stand up to a lot of punishment.

Overall, initial impression is "meh".

5. Con: Terrible DPI switching button placement. The buttons are placed at the rear of the mouse just below where your wrist would be. This makes them useless for on the fly switching.
7. Con: Blingtastic LED lighting makes you want to hide the mouse when people come over.

these two cons you listed are not really cons for most people...

majority of gamers do not switch dpi in the SAME game.. Maybe they might be switching dpi in desktop and later switch again for a particular game.. And this won't be an issue and matter of preferance...Some people might wanna switch dpi in sniper mode though.

and the latter con is obvious..

expecting pictures and a detailed review...

I'm in the market for a new mouse and would like to see a comprehensive review, wondering if departing from my 80 dollars is worth it for this one. Waiting for a full win review!

i beg to differ re the one above statement that "Most gamers dont switch DPI in the same game" (what they likely mean is for the duration of a game the DPI remains as is until out of game and back to work or apps)

However many many FPS and other gamers use in-game DPI adjustments - so it is a required point to vet (pro/con).
Myself and friends do FPS games and pending the map or vehicle or class for that "segment" - switching DPI is a great asset. I dont use the sniping (auto button DPI down-scaling) but prefer the manual toggle.

AND - btw - when using graphics apps i very often also do DPI scaling if i am zoomed right in on a AA masking excercise or outline mask. Major advantage to have a slow DPI when zoomed right in.

And on the DPI stage - the 'darn' RAT 7 MMO only has one way DPI toggle...grrrr.....but yes, it is still 'useable'. Just stupid.

Agreed on that a much more detailed review is called for. But at least this one gave the highlights.
For moi the rear DPI is a no-no.
As for RGB LED's - that is a no brainer (who wants to be stuck in a color..crazeee) - and so if no bling is required - simply turn it down/low brightness.

Also - more details and pictures needed for the buttons. And which are truly programmable.

Again the MMO RAT 7 - L + R mouse "lock" buttons...really? Causes untold grief as no-one i know plays that limited functionality - never mind full time daily 24/7.
Like the Corsair M90 this mouse sounds like they just stuck a lot of buttons down to advertise.
Functionality and working software are what we need reviews on for sure.
Especially FPS games where sniping or flying is part of the game and 'in-game' DPI tweaking can help a lot.

Most mice have the commonality of handy DPI adjustments....and actually i was pretty ignorant or could not care less years ago when DPI adjustments became the rage. Nowadays nearly every decent gaming mouse has it - and for good reason (apps vs games vs productivity/work) - but also if one tries it the DPI is very handy in-game..

these two cons you listed are not really cons for most people...

majority of gamers do not switch dpi in the SAME game.. Maybe they might be switching dpi in desktop and later switch again for a particular game.. And this won't be an issue and matter of preferance...Some people might wanna switch dpi in sniper mode though.

and the latter con is obvious..

expecting pictures and a detailed review...

No the whole point of DPI switching is to do it on the fly in the game. And the same goes for photoshop work.

I'm in the market for a new mouse and would like to see a comprehensive review, wondering if departing from my 80 dollars is worth it for this one. Waiting for a full win review!

If you're looking in that range I'd take a CM Storm Sentinel Advance 2 over one of these any day.

Back