Got my first SFF... free!

Think

Weaksauce
Sort of. I got two dead, but free, Dell SX280's from work. They're USFF's with external 220w power supplies.

The boards had burst caps, which is apparently normal for SX280 motherboards, so I ordered a motherboard out of an Optiplex 745 USFF, since they're hardware compatible and can take dual core CPU's. I have some DDR2-800 and a 250gb HDD I'll be throwing in once I get the mobo. At first, I'll be using the 3ghz P4 that it came with. It's a hot little chip, so I'm hoping to upgrade it soon. Because I want a cool, quiet, and cheap secondary computer, I was actually considering a $50 Intel E1200 and BSEL modding it to a 1066mhz FSB chip. Thoughts?

Anybody have any experience using a Dell Optiplex 745 USFF? I see that it has a GMA 3000 GPU... I'm hoping it's enough for HD playback after a processor upgrade.

I actually have one at work and while the onboard is decent for regular 2D workstation duties it sucks ass when playing back HD. I tried a couple of 720p files (Batman Begins, I Am Legend) and the thing stuttered crazy.

What kind of processor do you have in yours?

Perhaps I'll just relegate it to a low-power downloader/fileserver, or turn it for a bit of profit, and plan on getting a mini-itx setup instead.

Back