• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Got my e7200 and results

Jakalwarrior

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
3,189
My stinkin motherboard wont go any higher than 400fsb :( past that it stops detecing the hard drives. Can keep booting past 500fsb and still getting the same message so I dont think it is a chip wall.
Anywho, here are my results. All stock voltages except the vcore at 1.232 and the memory at 2.178
3.8ghz.jpg
 
Patriot rated at 4-4-4 800mhz
Board is TG31-A7. The rebels haven guy is getting 480 or so FSB out of his but I cant register for that forum to ask how! lol. Guess ill have to wait till they fix registration.
 
Seems like you're feeding an awful lot of voltage to that RAM at that frequency, unless you're not running 1:1.
 
It is 1:1, its just not the best ram ever. Its rated for 4-4-4- at 2.2 vdimm. I could probably drop it .1 but I was trying to avoid any extra complications. New memory coming wenesday.
 
3.8GHz is still quite good for an E7200 (on air I'm assuming?), so it looks like you've got a pretty decent chip.
 
Found the issue, 90% sure the PCIE lock is borked on this board. It has to be set to auto and past 333 it slowly rises until at exactly 406 it hits 121 and the SATA craps out. The LAN craps out a lil earlier. Radeon 4850 doesnt really seem to give a rip though.

what kind of cooler you're currently using with e7200?
Some dinky Xigmatek with a horribly uneven base. HDT1286 or something like that. I took the fan off of it and just have my big case fan blowing on it (lakewood from walmart ;). Runs at about 60-63*C max. Set to auto shut down at 65.
Running 1.23 it doesnt take a whole lot of cooling. My XP90C wouldnt work because some caps were in the way of the bracket.

I ran 3.85 (405fsb) all day today gaming etc...but ive backed down to 333fsb so I can have a safe 100pcie speed. Scared of corrupting a hard drive or killing something.
 
My e7200 got to 3.94Ghz (415MHz FSB) on 1.325Vcore on the good'ole DS3 after a BIOS update...
Nice jump from from e6400 at 3.2Ghz...:cool:
 
Guy's can you share more informations on all your BIOS settings and mobo?

I have achieve 3.81GHz on my P5E-VM HDMI (Bios 506 and 604) but was required to raise the VCORE at 1.415V to have full stability... (see My post on TechPowerUp I have put all the tests I have done so far.

I can reach mush higher and keep booting the BIOS but not Windows, of if it boots it's not stable.

My Rig;

  • 1x P5E-VM HDMI
  • 1x E7200
  • 1x nVidia 8600GT OC from BFG (and boosted a little with some nVidia tools)
  • 2x Crucial Heatsink kit 1GB modules at 4-4-4-12 and 2.1V as recommended
  • 1x AWC-1 from Kingwin Water Cooling System for the GPU and CPU (in series)
    radiator+fan mounted outside the case.
  • small Pentium III fan mounted on the notrhbridge
  • 1 intake fan mounted on the side panel blowing directly on the mb
  • dual fan on the memory modules
  • 1 intake fan for the HDD
  • 1 fan 45% from the top to help with flow of air inside the case
  • 400Watts/650Watts peak 30sec. PSU

I would love to reduce the vcore and keep the performance, or do both get 4GHz and low vcore .. ;-)
 
Jakalwarrior,
How long did you run ORTHOS for? 5 minutes is certainly not enough to confirm if your settings are stable or not. Has to run for at least 1h to have a decent idea and at least 4h to be consider safe, IMOO

I ran mine for over 6 hours with those settings above, without errors, and the max CPU temp (Real Temp) was 66C with 71C peak, idle 45C

I still hope to fine tune the settings to a lower VCORE...
 
Interesting, I've also got a P5E-VM HDMI, well specs in sig.

I'm running 0604, vcore at 1.384 idle CPU-Z. I believe I'm at 1.400 in BIOS and I'm running a 1:1 ratio
PCI-E - 100
Both spread spectrums are disabled
Voltage reference is auto
Voltage damper is enabled
PLL at 1.52
DRAM at 1.9
FSB Termination at 1.22
Northbridge at 1.41
NB Voltage Reference is auto
SB voltage is 1.05

I don't really know what the voltage reference stuff is or how it affects stability so I haven't tweaked with them. If anyone could chime in on this that would be nice. :D

I'm for sure stable here, 406×9.5 results in Orthos dying after four hours, 405×9.5 was stable for the 10 hours I ran it for. When I head back to school this weekend (air conditioned rooms), I'm going to try dropping the .5 on the multiplier and pushing the FSB up and seeing if I can get further. Right now, airflow in my room seems to suck because Orthos during the day will push the NB up to 50°C, which is warmer than I'd like it to be (what is the edge of the thermal envelope for NB?).
 
Ok, that is one difference we have, mine is not in a A/C room, (ambient about 30C during the day).
How did you come up with those voltages?
PLL, FSB Term. NB, SB, Ref...??
And especially what is the link between them?
I had changed mine kinda random and that did not do any good, so maybe I try with yours as a base and see.

Also, what other stuff you have in? IDE/SATA/GPU/PSU ?? that might be different than mine and what impact could that cause on stability of the system?
:eek: Ok, just saw your signature ... all listed there

Thanks
 
Well, I'm not at school yet. Here at home my room gets quite warm, as in 100°F+ or 37-38°C sometimes. I know it's for sure greater than 30°C on average because my chip at idle is around 35°C and that's on a cpu only loop with a 3×120mm rad.

As for the voltages, I was just testing. I started at the lowest values and tested, every time I crashed I would try bumping something until it was stable. I'm sure there may be a more efficient/logical way of doing it..but I'm not particularly good at this either.

The only logical thing I did in this was adjusting one setting at a time and seeing how it affected stability, instead of just changing two or three things.

Well, GPU and PSU are listed in my sig. I have a single IDE burner and two internal SATA hard drives. Only thing I can think of affecting stability may be the power supply, but my build doesn't require anywhere near the limit of this power supply. I don't believe these newer boards have issues with SATA0 not locking either.
 
If my system is not stable with your settings, what would you recommend to raise first?
PLL/VCORE/FSB/???
or reduce my DDR2 which is very stable now, ran memtest86 and reported good @2.20 volts.

Too bad I dont have a thermometer in the room, but mine must be in the similar range, at night after few hours of "computing" it get to the "sweating point"...

I also added a PIII CPU fan on top of the NB to make sure it does not overheat, but how can I tell???
 
I don't know what I would raise first, you seem to be around the edge of the vcore for the chip (at least I'm stopping at 1.38-1.39 because I need this chip for another two years). These 45nm chips don't seem to need very high PLL voltages, so I'd be inclined to lean towards the NB first. This is assuming your RAM can do the MHz you're trying to push. I don't know if you've done it yet, but I first dropped the multiplier to 6 and ran the FSB up to see about where my RAM will top off.

With those settings and RAM at 2.1v, I was stable for four hours at 480 FSB, so I was first primarily just adjusting the vcore. I haven't had too much time to tweak yet and I'm heading back to school this weekend, so I'll have less time. Just saying because these settings aren't definitive and I haven't tested the system fully.

I have no idea where the NB would be considered "hot". I just arbitrarily picked 50°C..leaning mostly towards posts of people who's NB heatsinks aren't hot to the touch. Beyond that I can't seem to really google up something consistent (either that or I lost my google skills =/).

I haven't modded the board physically, so no comment there. You might get some more help in the P5E-VM HDMI thread in the SFF forum.

I didn't notice any different settings with 0604 from 0506..maybe they weren't related to tweaking. If they were, then maybe I just blew by them expecting them to be there.
 
Ok, last night i try a different approach based on gwai_lo suggestions.

I reduced the Ratio to minimum (6) and started with FSB 500 (no boot), then down until i got to 450 which allowed me to boot to the BIOS. But the memtest86 reported plenty errors on my memory, so I upped the voltage to 2.22 and got a little better.
After many trials, i think my max to be stable is about 415 for the memory, ran the memtest86 all night without errors, that said I realised this morning that the Ratio was actually 8, Strap @333 and PCIe @100. CPU @1.4125 (otherwise wont boot with Ratio 8) and can't remember off hand the rest, but pretty much all auto.

Should I go back to Ratio 6 and all auto and raise something... (like VCore) until I can get to memtest86? and then what?

First, if memtest86 fails, could it also be due to the CPU that need more adjustments???
 
Back
Top