Got my Black Friday Coolermaster QuickFire... Black Keys feel great

Vicinity

2[H]4U
I did a ton of reading before buying a good mechanical keyboard and I noticed not a lot of people really liked Blacks, saying they were too hard to press.

While, I don't typically type novels, I can see their frustration in typing all day (like non-stop). But for the occasional forum reply and page or so of typing for what ever, they feel fine. I'm pressing them to the bottom because my cheap Microsoft keyboard from before require really hard presses.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw my opinion of Black Cherries out their for someone else looking into getting a mechanical keyboard, blacks are usually on sale and are a pretty decent choice for anyone coming from a super cheap keyboard.

2012-12-03_16-01-03_726.jpg

I got the ten key less on purpose, I like the smaller look. Now I just need to find a nice mousepad, lol.

Congrats on your first. You have started down the path of mechanical keyswitch addiction, where you will find yourself walking into stores and hammering all the keys on the displays and buying more keyboards than you need online...

well... at least thats where I'm at.

I did a ton of reading before buying a good mechanical keyboard and I noticed not a lot of people really liked Blacks, saying they were too hard to press.

While, I don't typically type novels, I can see their frustration in typing all day (like non-stop). But for the occasional forum reply and page or so of typing for what ever, they feel fine. I'm pressing them to the bottom because my cheap Microsoft keyboard from before require really hard presses.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw my opinion of Black Cherries out their for someone else looking into getting a mechanical keyboard, blacks are usually on sale and are a pretty decent choice for anyone coming from a super cheap keyboard.

2012-12-03_16-01-03_726.jpg

I got the ten key less on purpose, I like the smaller look. Now I just need to find a nice mousepad, lol.

black mx are linear ones, they are not hard to push compared with blue-_-

Same here. Keyboard feels good. Definitely for man hands :)

And buy some lysol wipes!

Nice. I had no idea that they had black friday deals. About a month ago there was a sale and I almost bought the Quickfire Pro (I really like having the numpad keys). Posted by another member here:

The Quickfire Pro is CM's first and last board they had manufactured by iOne, they were disappointed with it's overall quality and have stuck with Costar for manufacturing their other boards so far.

I watched a youtube review where someone claimed the Quickfire Pro w/ Cherry MX Red was comparable to the quality of filco/leopold --- from it's description:

Just got the Cooler master cherry mx red quickfire keyboard really impressed. Considering $59 and it's as good as the $159 keyboard "filco". I feel this easily ranks up there with filco and leopold at a fraction of the price. $59.00 free shipping from new egg. Definitely recommend it.

Very odd, but they aren't using affiliate links or anything so I don't think they are making anything up...

As for the one you are using, here's from an Amazon review:

It's built by Costar (who make keyboards for Filco, like the Majestouch) for Coolermaster, so in essence you are getting a rebadged Filco, which makes the pricepoint even more attractive. There are some differences - the LED indicator lights are in the keys themselves, and not on the chassis like the Filco. It's a little less "clacky" than the Filco Majestouch but the sound is a little more 'squeaky' (accoustics of the keyboard case?)

The quality is excellent.

I would be interested in it, but I use the numpad too much. I have limited desk space so it's something I should take into consideration though, especially if it goes on sale again.

That mouse in the pic looks like Logitech G500. It's sensor (Avago 9500 --- also found in Steelseries Xai and Logitech g9x) works best on hard surfaces. I can confirm this, because I was using a soft mousepad with the G500 and it was great at tracking, but when I took the mouse away and just used the mouse on my wooden desk, the tracking became fantastic. I went ahead and ordered the Steelseries 4HD as it was on sale for black friday. According to the Amazon product description for the 4HD / 9HD, they were designed specifically for the Xai. I should be getting it in the mail soon. So... is that the G500?

Nice. I had no idea that they had black friday deals. About a month ago there was a sale and I almost bought the Quickfire Pro (I really like having the numpad keys). Posted by another member here:

I watched a youtube review where someone claimed the Quickfire Pro w/ Cherry MX Red was comparable to the quality of filco/leopold --- from it's description:

Very odd, but they aren't using affiliate links or anything so I don't think they are making anything up...

As for the one you are using, here's from an Amazon review:

I would be interested in it, but I use the numpad too much. I have limited desk space so it's something I should take into consideration though, especially if it goes on sale again.

That mouse in the pic looks like Logitech G500. It's sensor (Avago 9500 --- also found in Steelseries Xai and Logitech g9x) works best on hard surfaces. I can confirm this, because I was using a soft mousepad with the G500 and it was great at tracking, but when I took the mouse away and just used the mouse on my wooden desk, the tracking became fantastic. I went ahead and ordered the Steelseries 4HD as it was on sale for black friday. According to the Amazon product description for the 4HD / 9HD, they were designed specifically for the Xai. I should be getting it in the mail soon. So... is that the G500?

I use the numpad a lot as well, but I like the aesthetics of the 10keyless boards much more. Plus it's easier to "center" between both my arms.

I didn't know this keyboard was a rebadged Filco, that actually makes me more happy about this purchase. It's also not in the least bit "squeaky" The only actual sound that comes from it is the "hollow" keycaps" hitting the bottom of actuation. Other than that, it's just like a generic keyboard.

Yes, it's a G500. I got it as a replacement for my G5 (best mouse ever). I know the mouse works better on hard surfaces, but this desk is super old and made of shitty wood, so the area under the mousepad is badly splintered. New desk is next on my list.

I saw the Steelseries sale, but this CM keyboard was far cheaper and I don't believe I saw a 10 keyless. Shoulda bought some headphones while the sale was up, though... ugh.

Last edited:
It's not actually a "rebadged" Filco; it was manufactured by the same company (Costar), everything else is determined by the company ordering the keyboards.

It's not actually a "rebadged" Filco; it was manufactured by the same company (Costar), everything else is determined by the company ordering the keyboards.

Ah, well, at least it's of reputable quality.

A day later and it's just as great. I'm getting a little better at not bottoming the keys out.

Yes, it's a G500. I got it as a replacement for my G5 (best mouse ever). I know the mouse works better on hard surfaces, but this desk is super old and made of shitty wood, so the area under the mousepad is badly splintered. New desk is next on my list.

I saw the Steelseries sale, but this CM keyboard was far cheaper and I don't believe I saw a 10 keyless. Shoulda bought some headphones while the sale was up, though... ugh.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting a Steelseries keyboard but rather trying to suggest that the Steelseries 4HD (a hard surface mouse pad) would pair well with the G500. I just got mine today (4HD) and it does work good with the G500. The soft mouse pad that I had been using was good for tracking, my wooden desk was better, and the 4HD is slightly (but still noticeably) better than the desk.

People throw the word rebadged around when talking about mechanical keyboards sometimes --- what can actually be considered a rebadge? I see Rosewill RK-9000 has some Filco parts, and an Amazon reviewer is calling it "essentially" a rebadge.

Actually it essentially IS a rebadged Cherry MX Blue Filco Majestictouch 104 full keyboard and that's a wonderful thing since Filcos are becoming very scarce in the United States.

I take it this person is calling it essentially a rebadge because although it is not identical to the Majestouch, it still uses some Filco parts? Or is this keyboard in fact the same design as the Filco Majestouch and simply branded with the Rosewill logo and sold as a Rosewill product?

I understand from your reply that you would NOT consider a keyboard a rebadge of another brand when it was manufactured by the same company and nothing else.

Thanks for all your help.

Back