Got my BenQ FP241VW

RaiseR RoofeR

Limp Gawd
Just bought this monitor for my dorm room (although I'm not in uni yet), and I decided to unpack it and completely test it out.

Okay, so I'm on this monitor right now, and I'll start by answering a few common questions right off the bat.

1. Yes, it has 1:1 pixel mapping
2. Yes, it has overscanning with HDMI (using PS3, at least)

#2 is an interesting one. This monitor was manufactured in March, 2007. I asked a BenQ representative before purchasing it when was the most recent firmware update (meaning the one with the overscanning) and he said it would be January 1st, 2007, so I would be alright getting a monitor anytime afterwards. So, I get this monitor, try it, and lo and behold -- no overscan option. He told me there never was specifically an "overscanning option", just that overscanning is within the monitor. Great.

So, the first thing I tried was the PS3 via HDMI, and I must say that it's not too great. I popped in the Pirates Blu-Ray, and it didn't look much better than a high bitrate DVD. Colors aren't vibrant whatsoever (I'm using default settings, by the way), and the Perfect Motion thing seems relatively useless (only messes around with contrast). Does anyone recommend any settings? I'm awful at doing that, so if anyone wants to share any settings...

I put in MotorStorm, and once again everything looked very dull, however the blacks are quite remarkable. I then noticed in the sky there's *severe* banding -- it looked like a rainbow. So, I quickly left the game and plugged in my M1710 monitor via DVI.

I'm going to say just this -- unbelievable. The banding is still there (I noticed it on my wallpaper), but besides that colors are outstanding, black are deep and it's just really nice in general (I use this at a 1920x1200 resolution, btw). I'm gonna test this on a game and get back to you what I think of it. Pics may come later.

It's the May firmware that has the overscan option and resellers can't be bothered to apply it since it has to be done at a service center. Also, the overscan option doesn't really fix what might be happening.

You might want to get a HDMI to DVI-D converter as there has been some talk about the PS3's HDMI 1.3 not being fully compatible with the Benq's HDMI port and that's why you get black bars all around in 1:1 mode.

I have been considering getting this monitor since it appears to be the most versatile 24". I also plan to use it for watching Blue-Ray or HD-DVD movies and based upon the review at http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm it appears to have the best picture for movies.

No, I'm not getting black bars all around (underscan), I'm getting a zoomed in picture, although it IS in the correct aspect ratio (overscan). It just looks like garbage and grainy. I'm going to take your advice though and hook up the PS3 via DVI. Hopefully that'll fix things (although it raises a problem as to how I'm going to get audio to my speakers while on the PS3).

So, to continue on my review, I played Counter-Strike: Source and Quake 4 on this baby. This is hands down the best monitor I've had for a computer connection (and I've had quite a lot), which is what it should be. I tried the Action Game Mode on Quake 4. While it lowered the brightness considerably, it all of a sudden felt much more realistic, and instantly became a much scarier game. Downright awesome.

I saw zero ghosting, and I also saw only a very slight input lag -- nothing to complain about. I am VERY happy at how nice computer images display on this.

I'm going to try the component and composite connections next. Stay tuned.

Im almost about to buy this monitor, so if i have at least a package dated from May 2007 i am sure that "overscan on off" is in the menu right?

I put in MotorStorm, and once again everything looked very dull, however the blacks are quite remarkable. I then noticed in the sky there's *severe* banding -- it looked like a rainbow. So, I quickly left the game and plugged in my M1710 monitor via DVI.

All console games have some sort of banding anyway, so don't worry about that.

I'm glad you're happy with the blacks cos I wasnt on my friend's FP241W

Edit: Is there any aspect ratio option on HDMI cosI havent tested that?

Im almost about to buy this monitor, so if i have at least a package dated from May 2007 i am sure that "overscan on off" is in the menu right?

Most distributors got their inventory before May 2007, so good luck in finding one.

what about 720p and 1080p over VGA for the xbox 360? Does it work correctly or is there the same issues as the ps3?

In HDMI there are 3 modes: Full (it fills the entire screen, thus stretching the image), Aspect (keeps it locked in 16:9 but fills the screen), and 1:1 (pixel mapping, meaning anything lower than 1080p/i and you'll get black bars windowed around the image).

Banding was notably worse than some other monitors. It could be the improved 8-bit color accuracy over my previous 6-bit monitors, thus creating simply *more* bands. I suppose that's bittersweet.

I do not have an Xbox 360, so I can't tell you how it would look in VGA, sorry.

I'm going to give BenQ Canada Corp. in Toronto a call and see if I can hand them the monitor to quickly get the firmware updated.

*edit* I called BenQ once again. They're in complete denial that there is such as thing as a May 2007 firmware upgrade. They say there aren't any overscanning options that they know of. What the hell's going on?

*edit* I called BenQ once again. They're in complete denial that there is such as thing as a May 2007 firmware upgrade. They say there aren't any overscanning options that they know of. What the hell's going on?
Either you got a tech that is clueless or Benq Canada is a little behind with the times. There's a post at http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031355212&postcount=3921 although it refers to the FP241W in Australia. http://www.aving.net/usa/news/default.asp?mode=read&c_num=52560&C_Code=02 <--- Korea . http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031288470&postcount=1 <-- UK .

So it's probably the latter. That's the second person who I called who denied any existence of an overscanning option. That's really annoying.

Awesome -- I might just use that. I think BenQ is going to be very pissed at me within the next couple days.

I bought this monitor a while ago, March 2007 model.
The thing i don`t quite understand is why did benq put a HDMI interface on this? It can`t handle 1920x1200 from a computer, it overscans on non native signals! So what is left? :rolleyes: In my eyes it is useless.
There is a BUT however, if you use a HDMI-DVI Adapter/Cable from for example a ps3/hd set top box and feed the signal in to DVI the monitor handles the signal correctly, that means it does not overscan, has correct Aspect if you choose 1:1 or Aspect in menu. (Black bars on top and bottom).
I mailed benq in Norway (i live there) about the hdmi and asked about the overscan fix, and they responded: "If this is something that can be fixed with a Firmware upgrade, you can have it fixed within your warranty"

I bought a HDMI-->DVI today for my PS3. Works great. Only problem now is figuring out how to get audio to work... and that I need a DVI switch for my laptop as well. *sigh*. I feel like I wasted like $100 for the HDMI port now not in use.

Back