Got extra GPU power?

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
Once again this year the [H]ard|OCP Folding Team is competing in a friendly Folding Challenge known as the Chimp Challenge. The Chimp Challenge is a folding event that has grown over the past few years and this year will include 8 of the top 10 folding teams in the world. We here at the Hardforum take our folding pretty seriously and have been the top folding team for quite sometime. There are several other big teams emerging however and we could use some help to win the challenge.

The current GPU2 folding client can take advantage of your ATI 3800 and 4800 series graphics cards and nearly all Nvidia 8800 series and newer graphics cards.

If you are interested in helping the [H]orde win this years challenge look in the thread below for some links to get you started. Or just stop in the DC subforum and start asking questions. There are some very knowledgeable people down there. The client is very easy to setup, it only uses your GPU's spare processing cycles and most importantly it is all helping medical research. Thanks for your consideration. Go Horde!

Here is the download page for the folding@home standard CPU clients and High performance SMP and GPU clients.

For the challenge you will want to use the username of [H]ardApe and the team number 33.

Here is a thread with step by step instructions for installing many of the clients.

Here is a thread explaining the Challenge in more detail and the rules for the challenge.

Feel free to ask questions in this post or in the DC sub forum. There are plenty of folks that will be happy to help out. :)

Last edited:
I installed both clients and started them, then configured name and team. GPU started folding right away, CPU is still sitting at "Attempting to get work packet". Normal behavior?

I installed both clients and started them, then configured name and team. GPU started folding right away, CPU is still sitting at "Attempting to get work packet". Normal behavior?

Sounds good so far.

Their severs are going to get slammed this week, so a waiting for work once in a while is going to be normal.

Thanks for helping out timme! Welcome to the Horde!

Both clients folding now :) I want [H] to win, everyone should utilize their great systems for this good cause. Although it turned my tower into a vacuum as all fans are going nuts now ;)

Last edited:
soft.jpg

Hey everyone. I'm going to add my rig in sig and an AM2 4400+ with an 8800GT. What's the best way to setup my main rig (see sig). Thanks.

Just get the standard CPU and GPU client, or only GPU if you don't want to run two clients. In the first post, you find download links for both :)

Just get the standard CPU and GPU client, or only GPU if you don't want to run two clients. In the first post, you find download links for both :)

Cool. Will a single cpu & gpu client take advantage of all the cores?

Since you have a Quad core CPU your could look into setting up an SMP client (which will use 2 CPU cores if I am not mistaken).

ON the AMD chip a single SMP client would work nicely.

The GPU client will be the same for both computers. Its a super easy install. Just make sure the enter the correct username and team number.

See the guife page for a walk through of setting up the clients: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1339662

Thanks for helping! Let us know if you need any help with the software! :)

Fold Hard!

I followed the multi-gpu guide but I cannot get the second gpu core working. It says my card (4850 X2) is not supported. Any suggestions?

i wonder because of the internal crossfire that it would work just as 1 core?

I would do it but it seems like too much of a pain in the ass to get it running on a 4870x2.

Ahh. I had to click the "force tv detect" in CCC to get it to see both gpu's. Now to get the quad core working.

I would do it but it seems like too much of a pain in the ass to get it running on a 4870x2.

The Horde could really use the help. :(

Im not sure how difficult it would be to gettting running on both cores (as I dont have a X2) but its really easy to get it running on one of the cores on your 4870X2. its basically a Next-Next-Next install and then enter a username and team number.

No pressure, its your choice. Thanks for considering it. :)

Ahh. I had to click the "force tv detect" in CCC to get it to see both gpu's. Now to get the quad core working.

So both cores are working for you now? Thanks for contributing! I think some of the Horde was late to the party but we should be gaining a head of steam here. :cool:

Keep folding guys!

So both cores are working for you now? Thanks for contributing! I think some of the Horde was late to the party but we should be gaining a head of steam here. :cool:

Keep folding guys!

Yes. Both gpu cores are running at full capacity. It looks like all the cpu cores are blazing ahead as well. So that's 3 gpu's & 6 cpu cores contributing from my house. How long does the challenge last?

Its a race to 20 Million PPD. The stats get updated every 3 hours on this page: http://clintdavis.us/chimp_challenge_2009/

Thanks for helping out. Thats a lot of processing power you have brought to the party. Thanks!

Anyone else want to help out for a week or so? I know the Video Card foum is [H]arder than this! :D

Oof. Just checked out the stats page. We are getting creamed. Cmon people! Git yer asses movin!!!!

Are we supposed to use the pass key?

Last edited:
Nope dont worry about the passkey. Its optional. I dont use it.

8800GTX and E8400 CPU here. Wondering how to maximize the use of my machine for this. Do I just need to download and install the High performance SMP and GPU client? Or do I also need to install the CPU client as well?

8800GTX and E8400 CPU here. Wondering how to maximize the use of my machine for this. Do I just need to download and install the High performance SMP and GPU client? Or do I also need to install the CPU client as well?

SMP (multi-processor CPU client) and GPU client would definitely be the way to go.

For all of you running GPU client(s) plus some form of CPU client(s), make sure you set the priority on the GPU client(s) to "slightly higher". That will make sure GPU gets priority and CPU takes whatever is left.

Since you have a Quad core CPU your could look into setting up an SMP client (which will use 2 CPU cores if I am not mistaken).

SMP client will use up to 4 cores. You get more points running two SMP clients on a quad core, but the setup is a bit more complex.

now offering a few meager PPD from my 8600 GTS. not much, but it's something, and at least it got me to update my video drivers :p i also linked and quoted this thread on a small forum/site one of my friends runs.

I'd help but XFX has taken over two weeks and counting for my RMA....

As soon as I get my GPU back though I'll give it a shot

now offering a few meager PPD from my 8600 GTS. not much, but it's something, and at least it got me to update my video drivers :p i also linked and quoted this thread on a small forum/site one of my friends runs.

Thanks for joining the cause! Every GPU helps. :) And thanks for the linkage!

I'd help but XFX has taken over two weeks and counting for my RMA....

As soon as I get my GPU back though I'll give it a shot

Ah yes. I have been in that situation with XFX as well. I wish they would cross-ship RMA'ed cards. I have found them to be a reputable company and have always treated me well but the RMA process does seem to take a little while.

I hope you get your card back soon.

8800GT coming online, and possibly my Q6600 if I can get it to work this time around.

OK, GPU is up. Now what is the difference between MPICH and DEINO again? I need to get my Q6600 up and running.

Also, isn't there an app that I can use to keep track of what the clients are doing?

Last edited:
Forget all that, I'm going to set up the notfred VMware appliance.

fahmon or fahspy are both good utilities to monitor your clients

Thanks for helping out! I knew there was some [H]ard people around here!

Back