• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Got Dragon Age: Origins?

misterchef

n00b
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
23
Just picked this baby up and started to play it. So far very good story telling, very fun combat (requires alot of pause and strat) good art style, runs great and looking to be quite the epic tale.

I'm able to do 1680x1050, very high, 8xAA, with mostly 60FPS, with alot of action it dips to 50

Screenshot below:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1249/daorigins20091103225906.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4968/daorigins20091103230018.jpg

they didnt come out as sharp as in-game (FRAPS fault?)

---
i5-750 | Antec 900 | Asus P7P55D EVO | XFX HD-4890 | Antec EA750W |
2Gx2 GSKILL DDR3| WD 1TB 7.2K RPM | Samsung DVDR | Dell 2005WFP
 
JPEG compression most likely, try saving out as PNG. Also, if you put
at the ends of your image links, they will embed into your body post.

But yes I cannot wait to start this game tomorrow ;)
 
oh good tips, appreciate it

the game is making me very happy, oozes quality and I'm glad they didnt make another Jade Empire or Mass Effect (I liked these, but they weren't very complex)
 
I don't know if the fact that the game requires a lot of pausing and re-starting is a good thing...also the graphics are not the greatest...but the story is epic and for that reason alone the game succeeds
 
I think Alistair is going to be a permanent part of my party. I love his lines.
 
I ordered it this morning but I have to wait until Saturday at the earliest to get it :(
I want to play this game so bad.
 
uberbob, how does the XFX 4890 CF work for you? I have one XFX 4890 may put in another later on if they get cheap
 
I don't know if the fact that the game requires a lot of pausing and re-starting is a good thing...also the graphics are not the greatest...but the story is epic and for that reason alone the game succeeds



The graphics are gorgeous... My 5850 is running at 1680x1050 and 3360x1050 capped at 60 frames with full AA and everything on very high. Easily one of the sexiest games I've seen.

You're right though, the story IS epic... I just need more time to play :)
 
I'd like someone to release a texture pack for this game.

[L]imey;1034857293 said:
The graphics are gorgeous... My 5850 is running at 1680x1050 and 3360x1050 capped at 60 frames with full AA and everything on very high. Easily one of the sexiest games I've seen.

You're right though, the story IS epic... I just need more time to play :)

Get your eyes checked. Now. Please.
 
Loving the game so far.

Have gone through several character starting stories that I imported from the Character creator. Aion will be taking a backseat for awhile lol. The graphics are fine, nothing spectacular but they work quite well, the music is good and the voice acting is pretty decent.

Odd thing though, when the characters get ready to fight or just finish fighting they look like they have a corncob stuck up their ass or something, seriously wierd lol.
 
I'd like someone to release a texture pack for this game.

Get your eyes checked. Now. Please.

There's nothing wrong with the graphics, they look good. You have to remember that this game has been in development for 5 years.

Maybe you can't play it at max settings or don't have them at max. Umm get your eyes checked...

I just got this game yesterday and it's really fun! I stayed up later then I should've, I got 5 hours of sleep. A lot of people have been complaining about the gameplay of this game, and I find that ridiculous. I put the difficulty up to Hard from the start and I've only had to reload around 5 times. The pausing is like any real RPG out there, so any one that complains saying "I've played other RPGs...". No you havn't! Welcome to RPG's! This isn't a hack and slash like Oblivion or a rush in and shoot like Mass Effect. Those games are hardly RPG's. They are fun but there is barely any Role Playing to be had.

Great game, I can't wait to go home and play it.
 
There's nothing wrong with the graphics, they look good. You have to remember that this game has been in development for 5 years.

Maybe you can't play it at max settings or don't have them at max. Umm get your eyes checked...

I just got this game yesterday and it's really fun! I stayed up later then I should've, I got 5 hours of sleep. A lot of people have been complaining about the gameplay of this game, and I find that ridiculous. I put the difficulty up to Hard from the start and I've only had to reload around 5 times. The pausing is like any real RPG out there, so any one that complains saying "I've played other RPGs...". No you havn't! Welcome to RPG's! This isn't a hack and slash like Oblivion or a rush in and shoot like Mass Effect. Those games are hardly RPG's. They are fun but there is barely any Role Playing to be had.

Great game, I can't wait to go home and play it.


QFT, I stayed up past my bedtime to play it too ! lol
 
There's nothing wrong with the graphics, they look good. You have to remember that this game has been in development for 5 years.

Maybe you can't play it at max settings or don't have them at max.

I just got this game yesterday and it's really fun! I stayed up later then I should've, I got 5 hours of sleep. A lot of people have been complaining about the gameplay of this game, and I find that ridiculous. I put the difficulty up to Hard from the start and I've only had to reload around 5 times. The pausing is like any real RPG out there, so any one that complains saying "I've played other RPGs...". No you havn't! Welcome to RPG's! This isn't a hack and slash like Oblivion or a rush in and shoot like Mass Effect. Those games are hardly RPG's. They are fun but there is barely any Role Playing to be had.

Great game, I can't wait to go home and play it.

daorigins20091102224850.png


This game does NOT look gorgeous. There isn't anything wrong with the graphics, it isn't meant to be Crysis. Saying it looks good might be acceptable, but gorgeous? :rolleyes:
 
There's nothing wrong with the graphics, they look good. You have to remember that this game has been in development for 5 years.

Maybe you can't play it at max settings or don't have them at max. Umm get your eyes checked...

I just got this game yesterday and it's really fun! I stayed up later then I should've, I got 5 hours of sleep. A lot of people have been complaining about the gameplay of this game, and I find that ridiculous. I put the difficulty up to Hard from the start and I've only had to reload around 5 times. The pausing is like any real RPG out there, so any one that complains saying "I've played other RPGs...". No you havn't! Welcome to RPG's! This isn't a hack and slash like Oblivion or a rush in and shoot like Mass Effect. Those games are hardly RPG's. They are fun but there is barely any Role Playing to be had.

Great game, I can't wait to go home and play it.

I see my self playing through this game a few times. That being said, I never played this time of game before. And just so people are aware there is easymode for people who haven't. You don't even really need to pause on easy mode.

I made a dwarf noble as my first character and i can say I didn't see that plot twist, or the one with the king.
 
I see my self playing through this game a few times. That being said, I never played this time of game before. And just so people are aware there is easymode for people who haven't. You don't even really need to pause on easy mode.

I made a dwarf noble as my first character and i can say I didn't see that plot twist, or the one with the king.

Me 2! I plan on playing through the game with every race/class...nerdy i know, but it happens.

(SPOILER WARNING)The character I have now is the Dwarf Noble as well, did you mean how he gets setup, blamed for his brother's death and then is exiled? There were some hints to it in the beginning, so I can say I wasn't completely surprised. However, it was setup very nice with the whole, "he has his ring, he's here alone with him and now hes dead". So yea, the story writer(s) did a great job so far. Although, I have to know how that dang ogre got on the top of the tower lol. Stairs a wee bit too small for him ;)

So are you using Dual weapons, Sword and shield, or 2h? Dualies ftw! :D
 
Last edited:
Me 2! I plan on playing through the game with every race/class...nerdy i know, but it happens.

The character I have now is the Dwarf Noble as well, did you mean how he gets setup, blamed for his brother's death and then is exiled?

So are you using Dual weapons, Sword and shield, or 2h? Dualies ftw! :D

Nice spoiler warnings, jerk.
 
Nice spoiler warnings, jerk.

Um, should expect it coming into a thread named "Got Dragon Age: Origins?" Not to mention its hardly a spoiler, you see it coming. It's within the first 30mins of the game. So don't worry about ruining anything lol.

Not a jerk, jerk! :p

And i fail to see how "dual weapons, sword and shield, or 2h?" is a spoiler, but w/e...
 
The thing I'm a little confused about is... can warriors do reasonably well as dual wield or should they only do 2h / sword n board. The tooltips seemed to imply that dual wielding is favored for rogues.
 
My warrior does fairly well with Dual weps. Rogues will do better because Dual weps use dexterity.

I don't think they put too much emphasis on it, just pick what you like and go along with it. I've always liked dual weps, so that's why I picked em.
 
My warrior does fairly well with Dual weps. Rogues will do better because Dual weps use dexterity.

I don't think they put too much emphasis on it, just pick what you like and go along with it. I've always liked dual weps, so that's why I picked em.

I've restarted my character twice already due to skill point allocation and general undecidedness on my part. Which leads me to... is there a way to reallocate points somewhere along the way?

Basically, I really like the idea of an armored warrior with a giant claymore... but after playing with a 2H, it might not seem like my cup of tea since it attacks incredibly slow and if you miss with an attack... it just feels awful. I don't really want to go sword and board however (isn't that what allistare is for anyway har har). Of course if I wanted a strict dual wielding character I'd probably go rogue... but at the same time I want to use any fancy looking heavy armor down the road and not be forced to use cloth / leather type as I assume rogues would.

Ugh, I'm so undecided in this game.
 
[L]imey;1034857293 said:
The graphics are gorgeous... My 5850 is running at 1680x1050 and 3360x1050 capped at 60 frames with full AA and everything on very high. Easily one of the sexiest games I've seen.
You've got to be kidding...

Characters look reasonably detailed, though environments are terribly low-res, and seem to lack the usual complement of effects (bump/parallax/specular maps and the like). But the lighting's about on par with KotOR, and I think that's the main reason it all looks so bland. They should have stuck with UE3.

(P.S. The OP really needs to force some AF...)
 
Running the game @ 1680x1050 with max video settings using the system in sig... runs smooth like butter. No hang ups, chopping, no problems. (runs a million times better than I ever could get NWN to.)

The graphics are merely decent but the artistic direction is good, so it balances out. I love the gratiutious blood splatter in the environment and on the characters every time there is even a tiny excuse for it. (Example, dude drops a vial of blood on the ground and then homegirl looks like Dexter after a night of partying)

I rolled an elf mage and had a great time last night blowing shit up. Awesome story so far... didn't expect twists so soon in the story.

Playing as a mage, the friendly fire on a majority of the spells is a little annoying; but it forces you to pause and actually use some strategy so.. not a big deal.

I'm hooked.
 
Last edited:
Played 9 hours non stop. WOW! Simply WOW! I love this game!

I'm playing at 2560X1600 with every settings max, and to me the game looks good. Really good.

But the ''problem'' with this game is this. Too much hype and too much marketing. This is an hardcore RPG with alot of micro-management. It's not for everyone. But the marketing campaign was HUGE, so everyone, even my mother, thinks they will like the game...

It's not Halo. But it was ''Halo-type'' marketing. So there will be alot of people disappointed.

Me. I love micro-management games. So I love this game. I like to pause, think of the best strategy before going into battle, look at the opponent, which one needs to be killed first, etc. I plan each fight carefully.You can't go console-style-gun-blazing--run-in-the-room-shot-shot-shot...everyone-dead-on-the-floor-2-seconds-later... It won't work.

But the big marketing campaign sadly didn't show this...
 
Um, should expect it coming into a thread named "Got Dragon Age: Origins?" Not to mention its hardly a spoiler, you see it coming. It's within the first 30mins of the game. So don't worry about ruining anything lol.

Not a jerk, jerk! :p

And i fail to see how "dual weapons, sword and shield, or 2h?" is a spoiler, but w/e...

I was just teasing. And you know I wasn't referring to the weapons :p
 
Played 9 hours non stop. WOW! Simply WOW! I love this game!

I'm playing at 2560X1600 with every settings max, and to me the game looks good. Really good.

But the ''problem'' with this game is this. Too much hype and too much marketing. This is an hardcore RPG with alot of micro-management. It's not for everyone. But the marketing campaign was HUGE, so everyone, even my mother, thinks they will like the game...

It's not Halo. But it was ''Halo-type'' marketing. So there will be alot of people disappointed.

Me. I love micro-management games. So I love this game. I like to pause, think of the best strategy before going into battle, look at the opponent, which one needs to be killed first, etc. I plan each fight carefully.You can't go console-style-gun-blazing--run-in-the-room-shot-shot-shot...everyone-dead-on-the-floor-2-seconds-later... It won't work.

But the big marketing campaign sadly didn't show this...

It feels like any other true RPG too me. I dont find it micro-managed more like "know what you get yourself into". When ever I have a mage in the group, that's the one I focus my attention too, I usually just let the warriors do their thing, popping in every once and awhile to heal them or switch targets. A think a RTS game such as Age of Empires is more micro-manage.

I think there's going to be a bigger market for this on the 360, as they will think it's like ME. Thankfully it's not ;).

GL on Dragon Age everyone! I'm out for the day, back tomorrow! I'll be up late playing this game. :D
 
I´m gonna buy it soon,
well I hope this game lives up to the good reviews it's been receiving and to my expectations :)
finally some D&D action!!
 
Back
Top