Got a SSD, should I format to install Windows?

arachn1d

Gawd
Right now I am running on a TB drive. It's formatted 100gb and 900gb. The 100gb partition is for Windows 7 OS.

I picked up a SSD and I want to install Windows on the SSD. Should I format ~80gb for Windows and leave the rest for "fast programs" or should I not worry about it and just install Windows on the SSD and use my 1TB for whatever?

This is a gaming computer, nothing else.

I wouldn't partition the SSD, just put the OS on it, anda few programs you want to load fast, and put the rest on the spinner.

Awesome. Thank you.

I'm running on that SSD now. Sweet. Fresh install.

Should I install anything for the SSD? Is Trim automatically built into Windows? So do I have to download firmware or anything like that?

It's the new Corsair Force.

How to benchmark it to make sure it's running properly?

Edit: I just used ATTO Disk Benchmark and I'm getting ~400avg read and ~300avg write. The box said ~500 avg for each. Is something wrong?

No, advertised speeds are always inflated. You can run Crystal Diskmark on it, that's kind of the standard for SSDs. You can check and see if there is new firmware available, but otherwise you don't really need anything special. Are you using an Intel chipset? If so, you might want to download the Intel chipset drivers, if you haven't already.

I realized I installed the OS on IDE mode and not ACHI (ACHI wasn't enabled by default). So I reinstalled with ACHI and it's a lot faster now.

Thanks for the bench-marking tip!

Back