Got a raptor.. am i missing something?

Emret

Limp Gawd
Hey

I got a 72gb raptor last week.. ive been trying it out for a few days.. I havent noticed any significant performance increase at all (be it game loadin times or daily windows stuff) .. now I really feel bad about payin $170 for it.. I guess after all its all for bragging rights

Anyways.. Im thinking about returning this to zipzoomfly and get a refund, or maybe sell it on fs/ft forum

Having a lot of RAM will lessen the impact of the Raptor's performance advantage. That's a GOOD thing, because any hard drive, even 15,000 RPM drives, should be used as minimally as possible. After all, even the fastest mechanical hard drive is several orders of magnitude slower than RAM.

Are you kidding me that you haven't noticed a difference??? I used to have regular IDE drives and a clean boot of windows took a good 10-20 seconds to load after the bios check. My clean install of xp pro took no more than 4-5 seconds to put me at the desktop after the bios boot. I might not even see the Windows Logo or the logging in screens sometimes because it was so fast. Naturally, my antivirus and such have slowed that down a little, but it's still usually under 10-15 seconds.

Ice Czar said:
Maybe you should have bought the 74GB version :p

heh.. you mean the 69.2GB version right? :p

I have 1 gb ram.. 1sata and 2 IDE drives other than the raptor.. I'm gonna disconnect all other drives and try to see if it makes a difference

sounds to me you dont have your sata controllers properly installed to run it

Trust me something else is causing the bottleneck then. Not enough RAM, too many devices using PCI bandwidth (if the controller is PCI), too mnay programs running. I guess its possible you could have gotten a defective one, but first do some benchmarks with it using HDTach and see if your numbers are on par with those of storagereview.com

xonik said:
Having a lot of RAM will lessen the impact of the Raptor's performance advantage. That's a GOOD thing, because any hard drive, even 15,000 RPM drives, should be used as minimally as possible. After all, even the fastest mechanical hard drive is several orders of magnitude slower than RAM.

Well said! ;)

Para

Back