got a qx6850 for free, need a decent board

like the title says im looking for a decent board for my qx6850 quad core... i won this cpu for free at a intel retail edge event at d&b.. hey a $1000 cpu for free my coworkers are pissed that i won it hehe....

anyway
i see some nice boards i want but have concerns with the memory fsb relating to the cpus fsb.... since the cpu's fsb is 1333 and the board i want uses ddr2800, like some of the 780i boards, will their be a bottleneck between the cpu and ram? i was also looking into some ddr3 boards but alll the decent ones are xfire and i dont want that... i dont plan on going back to ati again ... why pay for a extra pciex16 slot if i aint gonna use it

im looking into the 790i ones from xfx/evga but they too high priced atm...

I'd start looking at a nice p45 board for a single GPU set up or an x48 if your going to be doing Crossfire down the road.

nice cpu and I'm glad u won it. It's just not worth that price anymore.

...and if you don't plan to go ATI, you just opened up many doors IMO.

The 790i series by either XFX or EVGA are both proven motherboards. EVGA has better programs IMO however. GL.

i dont want xf...lol.. i love the 790i boards but they too high.. the 780i have come down but what im most concerned is the bottleneck between the cpus fsb of 1333 to the rams ddr2 800 fsb... ( i currently have 2 sticks of a matching pait of patriot 2gb )

Actually, there's no bottleneck at all using DDR2 800 memory with a 1333FSB processor.

The base speed of the DDR2 ram at that speed rating is 400Mhz. The base FSB of the processor is 333Mhz. If you don't overclock the processor, and want to run the memory and processor at a 1:1 relationship, you'll actually be underclocking the ram.

just get an asus/gigabyte/dfi P45 board for $150 or the evga 750i SLI FTW board. if you're not OCing, or not OCing heavily, and arent running dual or triple cards there's no reason to go with the $200+ boards.

if youre gonna OC, the Asus Maximus series, evga 750i SLi FTW, and the DQ6 series gigabyte P45/X38 boards plus some DFis are all great for under $250.

the CPU is probably worth $600 now, maybe 650. Extremes have significant performance gains over standard Intels but the next gen standard CPUs generally perform better. ie the previous-generation MSRP $1050 QX6850 is probably slower than the current gen MSRP $340 Q9550. this means they usually drop in price more sharp than standard CPUs.

thx 4 the gratz

i plan on sli later.. just not atm... so i can run safely with my ddr2 800 ram with the qx6850?

that the case i was lookin into a 780i board.. i wanna wait till black friday and ill get a decent board

4g94_Yellow - so i can run safely with my ddr2 800 ram with the qx6850?

Yes, you should be able to, unless you want bleeding edge performance running the memory 1:1 with the processor above 400Mhz FSB, AND the memory won't overclock any in your mainboard.

With overclocking, there's so many variables, and those variables are unique to each individual's component mix and settings...

Back