got a question for you networkers out there

[Ao1]Powerkiller

Account Closed
I had been needing to upgrade my Linksys 5 port switch, because of not enough ports.

Well, this weekend I just bought a 24 port switch on ebay for $29.99

The model is 3Com Superstack II 3300 or 3c16980

My question is:

Isn't 3Con a fairly decent brand?

I am pretty sure it is. But I would like some of your opinions. Thanks in Advance

3Com was "the" brand during the dot com boom, which is when that switch first came out. :D Overall, though, it is a good switch for the price, though it is kind of big compared to the linksys 5 port:) . I use some of those in the office and don't have any problems. How this helps.

Thanks for the info. Another reason that I got the 24 port, is that I basically co-host a Lan Party in East Texas several times a year, and we needed another switch for the other side of the room. That was the main reason for purchasing it.

they are good switches, old, but still work.

if you do serious lan parties, consider a giga switch, dell has their 16 port one sometimes on sale for around $140 US.

I have never had more issues with a switch than with a 3com Superstack..... 3com's switches were never wildly popular, every real enterprise environment i was in back then was using bay networks.... 3com's were barely SOHO quality.... but for that price, why not...

Since you got the Superstack, you might not need a gigabit switch. Just use the stack function of the switch and it's intra-switch backplane.

Cant go wrong with 25 bucks invested. however since you already purchased the thing isnt this a moot point?

For a LAN party, i would seriously look into a gig switch, a nice 24 port dell or cisco,
But great buy on the switch, hope it all goes well with it

3Com are great products. We used to be running them at work, but thats when we first started out. They are great to do just switching basic networks. If you get into VLANs and so on, you need to get a better quality switch like Cisco.

For a LAN party, i would seriously look into a gig switch, a nice 24 port dell or cisco,
But great buy on the switch, hope it all goes well with it
I think 100mb is just fine for lan parties. You are not moving much data playing games. Unless its one of our LAN parties where everyone is stealing eachothers files while play games, then it starts to lag.

Thanks for the info guys. FYI Our other router we use is a 24 port Cisco 2900 XL..

And 100mbit is fine for playing games. And Since we are a Christian based Clan, we don't share "files" that much. Except maybe for patches, mods, etc. Which I carry a 20GB portable USB 2.0 drive with all that data.

Our servers are online., So the most performance we can get is limited to the internet connection. We have a business class 9Mbit connection. S0 100mbit, wil do just fine.

I just got the switch in the mail a little whil ago. And after replacing the Linksys, Websites are loading faster. My download speeds remian the same, at the Cable modem maximum of about 550KB per second. BUt sites load about a scond faster than before. I also get better pings to game servers and such. And this is a circa 2000 switch. It has no physical blemishes or scratches. I am actually very impressed. All I have now are 4 things hooked up to it.

1. Main Rig
2. XBOX
3. Lexmark Optra S 1625 Laser Printer
4. Spare Rig

5. (kind of) link to router on opposite side of room.

This in my opinion was a great buy on ebay.

Nice buy for home.

We do alot of school networking bids and they used to be riddled with 3com gear, but not so much anymore. Cisco, Foundry or Xtreme.

The one school i've worked on that did have 3com was a nightmare, due to the fact that they have problems stacking more than 3 switches and this school had at least 4-6 switches per stack. A HUGE mess.

Sorry, i ramble a lot, nice buy.

3coms are bricks. im tempted to say you could take it out and back over it with your car, and it would be fine.

i ran my lanparty of a set of those that came from ebay a few years back... except back then i think i paid 400-500 to my 100mbits, and about 150-200 for my 10baseT ones. let me see if i can find a pic...

DSC00803.JPG

and btw... people who come to your lan party and cry about the lack of gigabit... are not really there to play games (but you probably might alreayd know that by now).

:)

Yeah Sharaz, I already knew that. That is why the previous members are no longer with us. :)

It arrived in the mail in a Window Fan Unit, wiht nothing but those dang foam peanuts protecting it. And it shipped from Vancouver, WA, all the way to Tyler, TX, without a scratch or malfunction. SO I am inpressed.

that fiber switch in my pic, came from georgia. not ours... russia's! same thing tho, peanuts and cardboard.

3Com are great products. We used to be running them at work, but thats when we first started out. They are great to do just switching basic networks. If you get into VLANs and so on, you need to get a better quality switch like Cisco.

I think 100mb is just fine for lan parties. You are not moving much data playing games. Unless its one of our LAN parties where everyone is stealing eachothers files while play games, then it starts to lag.

I have hosted a few LAN Parties with 20+ people, and everyone planing at once from a central server can lag out a 100mb line. It all depends on what your playing and how.

3coms are bricks. im tempted to say you could take it out and back over it with your car, and it would be fine.

i ran my lanparty of a set of those that came from ebay a few years back... except back then i think i paid 400-500 to my 100mbits, and about 150-200 for my 10baseT ones. let me see if i can find a pic...

DSC00803.JPG

and btw... people who come to your lan party and cry about the lack of gigabit... are not really there to play games (but you probably might alreayd know that by now).

:)

Some great cable management, lol :p ;)

thanks :) the exess that you see (if thats what you are commenting on) was because i just ordered all those to be 75 feet long. some tables were only 20 feet away, so there would be a considerable amount of excess i would have to roll up somewhere. that corner became the perfect place.

to the left and off the pic, those bundles of 8 travel down the wall, and make left turns and would service 2 rows of tables (16 players each). those SKB cases came from guitar center... 19" is 19" no matter what industry youre in.

i would roll that entire rig in, drop the front and rear panels off, dump out the power and upper-to-lower uplink cables, and then unroll those bundles of 8 cat5s from a huge rubbermaid bin. i had an entire 70 person lan party ready to rock and roll in 15-30 min.

We ran 3300 stacked up for the office of about 100 users I used to support. Ran 2 separate VLANs worked pretty good. Only issues we had was when we had them all liked together and one of them had different firmware is would lock up every 15-30 days and brink the whole stack down till you rebooted them. We fixed it by flashing them all to the same version. Other than that issue they were very solid.

[Ao1]Powerkiller;1031081964 said:
I just took a pic of my old 5 port switch vs my new switch to compare sizes. Well See for your self

IMG_0003w.jpg

Yeah, 5 to 24 is a big difference

Back