• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Got a newbie question about OC

Jerrin

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
93
I just finished building a AMD build with a foxconn board. I've got a black edition 9950 CPU. I also have the xigmatech cooler on it. I have OCZ 8500 memory in a vista system.

I want to overclock the CPU to 3.0-3.2. My motherboard shows the multipliers and what speed it will be running if I change the multiplier.

My question is this: If I change the multiplier to make the CPU 3.2, will I need to change anything else like voltage? If so, what will I need to change, and to what?



Thanks in advance
 
CPU vcore, VID, VTT whatever it's called in the bios. Memory seems overkill since Phenoms aren't FSB dependent.
 
Haven't OC'd one of those AMDs but in general you should REALLY read one of the OC guides too. You may get lucky and just fiddle with a few settings and have everything work great - that seems to have been the case with my Q9650 so far - but that tends to be an exception. Usually you will tweak things, have it sort of work - maybe boot, maybe even run a long while and then get a BSOD or something.

You can just live with the fact that your computer croaks now and then and you don't know why, or you can try to resolve it. To resolve it when you're OCing you need to know the stuff in the guides. It's not terribly difficult or hard to understand - just have a look, do it, re-read a bit and you'll be surprised how much you learn!
 
Back
Top