Got a new HP laptop, and it sees my wireless but internet won't work...

GJohn

[H]ard|Gawd
...I did search and could not find any help.

I have Linksys WRT54G router and At&t DSL.

Laptop sees the wireless connection, I connect to it, it says its connected, but with a yellow attention mark on it...:confused:

I am able to connect to the router through the laptop by going on 192.168.1.1, and reset all the setting, etc and nothing works.

I even tried external usb wifi, it connect, it shows its connected, but when you actually open Firefox or explorer, there is no web page opening.

I downloaded the latest linksys easylink advisory and installed it on both the main PC in the house and the laptop, it shows everything functioning perfectly OK but yet there is no internet.

Reading on the diff forums, a lot of people seem to have the same problem when Norton antivirus was installed. My laptop did come with the norton installed, but I uninstalled it through safe mode with Norton removal tool....still does not work.

Is this a new ISP setup? If so you need to check if your modem is set to bridge mode. If it is, you'll need to have your WRT54G dial out with PPPoE. I would call AT&T and find out.

First thing to try is to connect the laptop to the router through a cat5 cable. If you get the internet then your router is setup correctly. If not, then you problem may be the router.

First thing to try is to connect the laptop to the router through a cat5 cable. If you get the internet then your router is setup correctly. If not, then you problem may be the router.

Ditto.

Sounds to me like your CAT5 won't work, either. Which means the router isn't configured right, your WAN settings aren't correct.

Ditto.

Sounds to me like your CAT5 won't work, either. Which means the router isn't configured right, your WAN settings aren't correct.

I reseted the router many times and it still does not work.

I connected the laptop to the router via cat5, it did not give me instant acess, i had to go to the setting and make a boradband connection and put in my at&t username and passrod so the internet would work through the wire.

But wireless does not work.

I connected the laptop to the router via cat5, it did not give me instant acess, i had to go to the setting and make a boradband connection and put in my at&t username and passrod so the internet would work through the wire.

you connected to the modem(at&t) or the linksys? :confused:

I think he's doing like I said before. His router wasn't dialing out when he was connecting it to the modem. He had to configure the router to do that. However, he's still not able to get internet access through the wireless.

What part of the wireless does not work? Are you able to ping the router when you are at least connecting to the network? Or are you not seeing the SSID at all?

You're not making any sense... One step at a time.
So WHEN IT WAS HARD WIRED, did you have it hard wired into the ATT modem or through the Linksys router?

and what ip address did you get if you connected it to the modem - will tell us whether its a router or a bridged modem

My Main computer at home is connected with the following information.

IPv4: 192.168.1.100
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

And the laptop is connected with the following:

IPv4: 192.168.1.101
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

I just reformatted the laptop, put a fresh Windows 7 64 Ultimate on it, and it is still not able to connect.

I took it to my friend's house, and i was able to connect to his wireless network, so its not the laptop, there is something wrong with my router that is not giving internet access.

Anything out of ordinary?

44368044.jpg

90827933.jpg

21879521.jpg

39957636.jpg

13353698.jpg

11312044.jpg

You have a Acess Policy enabled, shown in the last pic, and I bet your Laptop is not part of it

Just set that to Disable

edit: Access Policy->Set STATUS to Disable

Tried it, and it did not work.

I just got home from Best Buy with brand spanking new NETGEAR wireless G router.

And guess what? Same frikkin problem :confused::mad: Cannot access internet, wired or wireless, all the lights on modem and router are showing that everything is "working ok" but yet there is no internet.

Now i am only able to access internet with just my at&t modem. Someone put a bullet in my head please.

does it have a static ip? can you ping your main pc while connected to the same router

does it have a static ip? can you ping your main pc while connected to the same router

Yes its connected to main PC with cat5, its shows the ip and there are packages going in and out but no internet access.

Yes its connected to main PC with cat5, its shows the ip and there are packages going in and out but no internet access.

Try this

press control R, then type in cmd and click run then type what below

ping 127.0.0.1
ping 192.168.1.1
ping 4.2.2.1
ping google.com

Report back what the results are

Try this

press control R, then type in cmd and click run then type what below

ping 127.0.0.1
ping 192.168.1.1
ping 4.2.2.1
ping google.com

Report back what the results are

C:\Users\Mayis>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Mayis>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Mayis>ping 4.2.2.1

Pinging 4.2.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

And it could not locate google.com or www.google.com

And here is a screen shot of ipconfig /all

76976750.jpg

After resetting the netgear router few times and restarting the PC and laptop few times, it finally worked.

This 2 days I spent all my time trying to make my wireless work, i learned so much i feel like i deserve a IT diploma

Just a router misconfiguration is all it is. I don't see how restarting your PC and router would've actually fixed it...

Two things from the screenshots above:
WPA... Set at WPA2 if you have the option. If you don't have the option, go and upgrade the firmware on the router, use WPA2 instead of WPA. Also, don't use such an easy passphrase.

Just a router misconfiguration is all it is. I don't see how restarting your PC and router would've actually fixed it...

Two things from the screenshots above:
WPA... Set at WPA2 if you have the option. If you don't have the option, go and upgrade the firmware on the router, use WPA2 instead of WPA. Also, don't use such an easy passphrase.

I threw away the linksys router, got new netgear router, and that how it worked.

I was keep going back and forth trying out different stuff that why i put easy pass code ;)

I threw away the linksys router, got new netgear router, and that how it worked.

I was keep going back and forth trying out different stuff that why i put easy pass code ;)

I still think it was a simple misconfiguration problem, but if it works and you're happy...

Good deal on the passphrase... You still need to look at WPA2... WPA has been cracked like WEP now, just takes 1-2 minutes to breach it.

your AT&T DSL is PPPoE which requires a username and password for authentication.

on the very first screen shot you posted of your Linksys router, you still had the router's WAN connection setup as DHCP, instead of PPPoE, therefore the router was not authenticating to AT&T's network.

all routers I've seen also have an issue when they are set to "Connect on Demand" instead of "Keep Alive"

I had to learn the hardway of setting up att through a router too a few years ago when they officially didn't support any routers unless you bought it through them for a monthly fee.

You should of changed the dhcp to pppoe and entered your user name and password. If it still didn't work then you would need to plug your laptop into the modem and type in 192.168.1.254 (what I have to do) and changed the connection type to I think bridge.

Although to be honest I've found setting up netgear with the cd install to be freaking easier now then when I had to learn how to by tinkering when we first got dsl.

your AT&T DSL is PPPoE which requires a username and password for authentication.

on the very first screen shot you posted of your Linksys router, you still had the router's WAN connection setup as DHCP, instead of PPPoE, therefore the router was not authenticating to AT&T's network.

all routers I've seen also have an issue when they are set to "Connect on Demand" instead of "Keep Alive"

I did try it, i resettled the router like 30 times and changed different setting, it still could not get to my At&t account.

With NETGER, i just plugged in the router, turned on my main PC, went on 192.168.1.1 and right away it asked me for my At&t username/password so it could access my DSL account. I did that and after restarting the PC and the laptop, everything worked like a charm.

Although to be honest I've found setting up netgear with the cd install to be freaking easier now then when I had to learn how to by tinkering when we first got dsl.

The netgear CD did not support Win 7 or 64bit, so I could not run the software, instead i went to 192.168.1.1

I did try it, i resettled the router like 30 times and changed different setting, it still could not get to my At&t account.

With NETGER, i just plugged in the router, turned on my main PC, went on 192.168.1.1 and right away it asked me for my At&t username/password so it could access my DSL account. I did that and after restarting the PC and the laptop, everything worked like a charm.

Alright well it proves it was a configuration problem then...

Ugh this thread frustrates me so bad.

The problem was that both the Router and the AT&T modem have the same IP. Both use 192.168.1.1 and DHCP on that range. So basically when you have the two plugged into each other, the gateway information overlaps and screws everything up.

Also even though the OP has things working through the Netgear that he now has hooked up -- he has a double NAT.

What that means is that if you set up port forwarding on the Netgear -- it won't work.

What the OP needs to do is set up AT&T Modem in bridge mode (an actual setting on the Modem's configuration website), than set up the Netgear/Linksys router for PPPoE with the proper AT&T username and password.

Also for future reference -- the software on CD's that come with Routers are no good. They are useless.

Learn how to use the device's web addresses and you will be much better off.

The problem was that both the Router and the AT&T modem have the same IP. Both use 192.168.1.1 and DHCP on that range. So basically when you have the two plugged into each other, the gateway information overlaps and screws everything up.

Also even though the OP has things working through the Netgear that he now has hooked up -- he has a double NAT.

What that means is that if you set up port forwarding on the Netgear -- it won't work.

What the OP needs to do is set up AT&T Modem in bridge mode (an actual setting on the Modem's configuration website), than set up the Netgear/Linksys router for PPPoE with the proper AT&T username and password.

Also for future reference -- the software on CD's that come with Routers are no good. They are useless.

not necessarily. Now, I don't know anything about AT&T's hardware (modems, etc), but if it requires a router for the PPPoE authentication, then the modem is working as a bridge and not doing NAT. It is working simply as a modem.

back when I worked for a local ISP that offered DSL, all the modems they had came preconfigured as a bridge, and required a PPPoE connection on the computer, or a router configured for PPPoE.

If the modem was NAT'ing, then the router would NOT be able to authenticate.

44368044.jpg

Stolen from your OP this image here...^
Internet Connection Type? You need to change this from DHCP to PPPoE.

Now you put in your att username/password

this will authenticate it and your laptop/pc should be able to go out to the Internet.

Stolen from your OP this image here...^
Internet Connection Type? You need to change this from DHCP to PPPoE.

Now you put in your att username/password

this will authenticate it and your laptop/pc should be able to go out to the Internet.

little late to the game :p

Not true at all, at least universally.
Yes, ATT has some routers that act like what you describe. But they've also got basic ones that are designed to either run one node or as a bridge....

So speaking in absolutes isn't correct.

Also, some ATT modems don't ship with 192.168.1.1 (Actually I can't think of the last time I've seen one that did, so I'd even say "Most" don't ship as 192.168.1.1)

OMFG, I had the same fuckin issue fixing 2 routers last week and I completely ran out of ideas and was unable to do anything.

SO WHATS THE SOLUTION? I gotta go back to my client tomorrow and fix this.

Not true at all, at least universally.
Yes, ATT has some routers that act like what you describe. But they've also got basic ones that are designed to either run one node or as a bridge....

So speaking in absolutes isn't correct.

Also, some ATT modems don't ship with 192.168.1.1 (Actually I can't think of the last time I've seen one that did, so I'd even say "Most" don't ship as 192.168.1.1)

most att combo modem/routers actually have a default gateway of 192.168.1.254

Back