Got a Dell 2707WFP & a Viewsonic VX2835WM For Testing

whoster69

Weaksauce
I have a Dell 27" 2707WFP and a Viewsonic 27.5" VX2835WM both from Costco. I'm comparing these monitors before deciding which one to keep and which to send back. If anyone would like me to run some tests on them, let me know which tests and how to run them and I'll try to report back here. I will only have them for a few days however so act fast if you want me to run something....;)

I predict the Viewsonic will only win in one area....1" more screen area.;)

I'd really be interested in your thoughts on input lag with the 2707. This seems like the perfect LCD for me (bigger pixels, big screen), but reports of input lag have kept me from pursuing it further.

Currently have the Westy 37", but that will be going back to Costco or heading to my parents house shortly. Just a little too big for browsing and it sits higher on my desk than I like.

I've had my 2707 for over a week now, and I have yet to experience any input lag

my .02

I've had my 2707 for about 4 months now. 360/ps3/pc all hooked up to it and there is NO INPUT LAG!

kthxbyeomgwtfbbq

helm

Well those folks that aren't seeing input lag/ghosting, either aren't as pick as I am, or they aren't playing FPS games. I originally bought the 2707 because of its specs, but the input lag & ghosting bothers me. It's not bad at all for most games (like strategy titles) but for Battlefield games like BF1942) there is noticeable input lag and ghosting. It's not like normal ghosting. You don't see images blurring across the screen. It's more like pixelation. Things get grainy very briefly as you sweep across the screen (like while flying looking for pussy bailers in BF1942).

That's why I picked up the Viewsonic. I realize it's a TN panel and as such will be worse in many ways, but if it's OK generally and doesn't have these issues, then I'll probably save the $500 and keep it.

hmm, I play BF2142 as well...

although I haven't experienced what whoster was mentioning...but then again it's a lot better than the 17" wuxga on my laptop =P

My questions are a little different. In terms of looks, does the silver frame of the Dell look okay compared to the black of the Viewsonic? Also, being silver, (and this is kind of hard for me to describe) does the Dell not frame the image as 'well' as the Viewsonic? What I mean is that a black border around an image helps define the colours and make them more distinct/stand out. Hence why most tvs have a black frame now. Also watching with black bars would be more noticeable on a non-black frame. Anyway, hard to describe, hope you can work it out.

Thanks.

Try connecting an HD-DVD or Blu-ray player to each monitor. I'd be interested in knowing if the 3D deinterlacing of the Viewsonic helps movies.

My questions are a little different. In terms of looks, does the silver frame of the Dell look okay compared to the black of the Viewsonic? Also, being silver, (and this is kind of hard for me to describe) does the Dell not frame the image as 'well' as the Viewsonic? What I mean is that a black border around an image helps define the colours and make them more distinct/stand out. Hence why most tvs have a black frame now. Also watching with black bars would be more noticeable on a non-black frame. Anyway, hard to describe, hope you can work it out.

Thanks.

The Dell framing looks a LOT better; metal and very nice. The Viewsonic is cheap shiny plastic. I think it looks pretty bad, but I don't really care about that.

Regarding the HD/Blue Ray thing, I don't have those, so I'm sorry but I can't test them.

i can post some SS or some pictures of some blu ray pics...

i'll get that up a lil later

This may sound strange, but I would appreciate seeing or hearing about 16:9 images/video stretched to 16:10.

how nice of u to offer some help to us whoster69 :D

i have a question about the response time of the viewsonic:
ive been reading some reviews of 22" TN panels on x-bit - and those reviews (along with many other reviews) show that on the majority of the TN-monitors where the manufacturers have stated a 2-5 ms gtg response time, that response time is actually only in transitions in one color, and all other colors have about 20-30 ms response time - leaving the product much worse than the majority of ppl buying it thinks it is....

now, ive read that the viewsonic has a 3ms gtg response time and a 5ms typical, but im not really sure how much i wanna trust that 5 ms typical - it might just be bullocks from the manufacturer...So what id like u to help me with is to clearify to me how the response time really is - 5 ms typical should be pretty damn awesome - is it then?

Another thing id like to hear about is the presence of visual artifacts in games ect. - do they bother u at any time?

Ive preordered the hanns-G 28" (27.5) myself and since it has the same panel as the viewsonic im very interested inhearing ur anwsers to my questions....

thx alot
Christian

how nice of u to offer some help to us whoster69 :D

i have a question about the response time of the viewsonic:
ive been reading some reviews of 22" TN panels on x-bit - and those reviews (along with many other reviews) show that on the majority of the TN-monitors where the manufacturers have stated a 2-5 ms gtg response time, that response time is actually only in transitions in one color, and all other colors have about 20-30 ms response time - leaving the product much worse than the majority of ppl buying it thinks it is....

now, ive read that the viewsonic has a 3ms gtg response time and a 5ms typical, but im not really sure how much i wanna trust that 5 ms typical - it might just be bullocks from the manufacturer...So what id like u to help me with is to clearify to me how the response time really is - 5 ms typical should be pretty damn awesome - is it then?

Another thing id like to hear about is the presence of visual artifacts in games ect. - do they bother u at any time?

Ive preordered the hanns-G 28" (27.5) myself and since it has the same panel as the viewsonic im very interested inhearing ur anwsers to my questions....

thx alot
Christian

Well, sadly I don't have any software to test the response time. If anyone knows of some, let me know and I'll be glad to give it a go. :D

As to how it seems, it seems better than the 2707 at first blush. I've only played on it for about an hour so far (I'm a teacher and it's the week before school, which means I'm very busy getting everything setup). I *will* have more time this weekend however and will try some games then. Since I've got another PC right next to this one at home I'm planning on hooking both up and comparing them side by side. Sadly the PCs aren't identical (mine has an X1900XT video card and my wife's has a 6800 GT, but I should be able to get a pretty good idea nonetheless).

My video card has two DVI ports. Can I hook up both monitors to it and compare it side by side? Anyone know how to do this?

Open up the ATI Catalyst Control Center and I believe what you are looking for is in the Display Manager section.

I've had my 2707 for over a week now, and I have yet to experience any input lag

my .02

That is maybe because you are like me regarding input lag. My screen, 2690WUXi have an average of 2 frames of input lag, but I honestly doesn't notice it.
The 2707WFP have an average of 3 frames of input lag, but I have a feeling I wouldn't notice that too either.
Some are sensitive to it, while others not.
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=88&mo1=174&p1=1747&ma2=52&ph=12

btw - id still like ur view on RTC errors (visual artifacts)... they are one of the big drawbacks of TN panels - heres an example of a TN-monitor with "rtc trouble" - lemme quote the description of rtc errors from that review "...the fast speed is accompanied with a high level of RTC errors. The error is 15.7% on average with a maximum of over 60%. It means that visual artifacts like white trails behind dark objects or dark trails behind light objects (it is the opposite of the common ghosting effect of LCD matrixes) are going to be conspicuous and even annoying."

can u see any such thing when ur using the viewsonic? ("white trails behind dark objects or dark trails behind light objects")

btw - id still like ur view on RTC errors (visual artifacts)... they are one of the big drawbacks of TN panels - heres an example of a TN-monitor with "rtc trouble" - lemme quote the description of rtc errors from that review "...the fast speed is accompanied with a high level of RTC errors. The error is 15.7% on average with a maximum of over 60%. It means that visual artifacts like white trails behind dark objects or dark trails behind light objects (it is the opposite of the common ghosting effect of LCD matrixes) are going to be conspicuous and even annoying."

can u see any such thing when ur using the viewsonic? ("white trails behind dark objects or dark trails behind light objects")

Sorry about that. I forgot to mention it. I haven't noticed this at all. I've now played Supreme Commander for about an hour and BF1942 for about 1 1/2 hours. I'll try some more games later today on the Viewsonic and Dell.

I have Spyder2express and have used it on both monitors. It produced great results on the 2707 and my wife's 22" Viewsonice LCD from Costco, but for some reason it produces blindingly bright results on the Viewsonic 27.5" LCD. I haven't been able to figure out why yet. It's OK in bright daylight, but retina burning anywhere else. This is something I have to find a fix for. In this category the Dell wins easily.

I'm heading off to my classroom to get things setup for the 1st day of school (I teach 5th grade), but I should be back this afternoon and will do some more testing then and this evening. Please post any questions/ideas you want and I'll try to answer them and test what I can.

maybe u could tell me/us about the black levels? http://www.vanity.dk/tft/monitorTest_scale.html take a look at this and try to determine at what point black levels become indistinguishable.... looking straight at my current (and quite old) 19" LCD I can tell the blacks apart down to 9% when looking at the monitor at vertical level - but only slightly... its pretty much the same on my crt monitor - does the viewsonic perform as well as my monitors?

my biggest concerns are actually sharpness of text and banding... If those two things are ok then the 28"'er is all i need :D

again - thx for ur time whoster69

maybe u could tell me/us about the black levels? http://www.vanity.dk/tft/monitorTest_scale.html take a look at this and try to determine at what point black levels become indistinguishable.... looking straight at my current (and quite old) 19" LCD I can tell the blacks apart down to 9% when looking at the monitor at vertical level - but only slightly... its pretty much the same on my crt monitor - does the viewsonic perform as well as my monitors?

my biggest concerns are actually sharpness of text and banding... If those two things are ok then the 28"'er is all i need :D

again - thx for ur time whoster69

On the Viewsonic at retina burning settings (as per Spyder2express) I can tell them all apart (the black levels).

ye - but i'd like to still have eyesight when im 30 :D - to what extend can u tell them apart at good contrast settings?

ye - but i'd like to still have eyesight when im 30 :D - to what extend can u tell them apart at good contrast settings?

I'll check. First I want to try a bunch of different games and play with the settings. Once I get that right and I think I've got the setting so they work well, I'll let you know.

One interesting observation. With the Dell the red line at the top of HardForum was blindingly bright. I had to mess around with the settings quite a bit to get it to look OK. With the Viewsonic it is nice and richly dark. It's the damn whites that are so bright with the Viewsonic.

Have you tried changing the color temperature to something less blinding?

No. I finally got home and I'm starting some game testing now. I'll look into color temp changes too.

I'll try to post some pics as well. What kind of pics do you want? Just random what the screen looks like?

No. I finally got home and I'm starting some game testing now. I'll look into color temp changes too.

I'll try to post some pics as well. What kind of pics do you want? Just random what the screen looks like?

Maybe a side-by-side or a series that shows the viewing angles? :D

looking forward to the pics whoster. btw you should also post your system specs, notably videocard and drivers used.

I've had my 2707 for a week now, and I'm VERY happy with it. I don't notice any lag at all ... but the only game I've really played on it is BIOSHOCK, so can't speak for those who may be more demanding.

IMO, this is a very nice looking monitor ... I normally prefer black, but the brushed metal/silver is nicely done. The display is large enough that you (I) don't even notice the bezel when gaming.

I'll try to do that if possible.

I just tried switching color temps. It didn't help. Still too bright.

from what ive read in consumer reviews of this viewsonic monitor its simply a matter of turning down the brightness until ur liking what u see - have u tried this?

from what ive read in consumer reviews of this viewsonic monitor its simply a matter of turning down the brightness until ur liking what u see - have u tried this?

That's what I've found as well. I'm kind of annoyed that Spyder2express didn't adjust for this. Why buy an expensive hardware/software device if it doesn't adjust brightness? :mad:

It worked fine on the other two LCDs.

Regarding the look of the case the LCD is in, I completely agree. The Dell with it's brushed metal look is much nicer and I don't like the metal look usually. It's very nice and the Viewsonic looks very cheap/plastic.

Off to school again but I'll be back this afternoon and try to write more about what I've found so far. For now let me say that turning down the brightness to 50% solved the retina burning...

I have had this monitor for about a month now and it has worked out well. I put it in with a Dell XPS to keep the grandkids off my regular equipment I use for work. This version of the monitor remembers the settings after it is shut off and restarted. There have not been any issues with ghosting or dealing with any of the games the youngsters are throwing at it. I use a HDMI switch to run between the computer, PS3 and the Directv receiver. Blue Ray disks look good. It does go to blue screen when the signal is shut off, but so does my Westy 24"-must be a trait of HDMI inputs.

Here are some HD shots of Ice Age 2 & TMNT

dsc03016pn3.jpg

dsc03018kl7.jpg

dsc03019ey6.jpg

dsc03020mq9.jpg

Enjoy!

btw I <3 this monitor!

nice screens - im moe interested in the 28" viewsonic though.... th x anyway :D

the man has other things to do as well - have patience

I'm sorry guys, but school just started this week and I have been buried! I finally got some time last night to set both monitors up and take a few pictures. Here they are:

I'll post the Viewsonic pic first and then the same picture on the Dell.

(Please note, that these are on different computers. The Viewsonic is hooked up to my PC with the X1900 XT. The Dell is hooked up to my PC with the 6800 GT.)

Viewsonic Pic 1:
Viewsonic1.jpg

Dell Pic 1:
Dell1.jpg

Viewsonic Pic 2:
Viewsonic3.jpg

Dell Pic 2:
Dell3.jpg

Viewsonic Pic 3:
Viewsonic4.jpg

Dell Pic 3:

Dell4.jpg

There's a couple of things I want to mention. Don't read too much into these pictures. I just took them using my Sony T100 by hand. NONE of them look as good as the real thing. I wouldn't recommend comparing these monitors by these pictures. If someone wants more pictures, tell me how to take them and I'll try to take better pictures. Overall, I liked the look of the Viewsonic better (though remember it is hooked up to my nicer video card). I hope to switch them or try hooking both up to my best video card this weekend (if I get time). The Viewsonic was richer. I think the Dell was probably more true to life and the Dell definitely has better color reproduction. It picks up more subtle color variations than the Viewsonic, but I really like the rich colors of the Viewsonic. After looking at it for awhile the Dell just looks washed out a little.

Back