Got a deal on some Promedia Ultra 5.1 but...

Paxonator

Weaksauce
Alright I picked these up for $300CAD at London Drugs on sale. They are clearing them out; I think they are being discontinued. But anyways I forgot about the lack of a digital input. My intended use was to be hooked to the computer and tv/dvd. So I am unable to do this now without the purchase of an external DAC or routing it through my desktop somehow.

Now my question is are these worth the trouble or should I just bring them back? I currently own the z-5500's and I thought it would be a nice upgrade. I've been avoiding getting into serious home theatre stuff because I live in an apartment. Oh my current sound card is the emu-0404 but I have an audigy 2 zs kicking around in a box somewhere. Any comments would be very helpful thanks.

Promedia Ultra 5.1 have been discontinued for about 2 years, if I'm not mistaken. They are known for problematic amps, so if it breaks you'll probably be on your own.

They fixed the amp problem a long time ago. I forgot after what serial number was effected but the chance of you having a bad amp is pretty rare. I've had my set for over 5 years now and never had an issue.

Yeah I was reading more and found that the amp seems to fail quite often on these. Oh well I think I'll just bring them back and save any hassles.

I have a whole set in mint condition minus the burned out amp. I'll mail to anyone who will pay shipping. ;)

Back