Got a Cisco 1841 with 32MB Flash. Compatible with 3rd party 64MB?

I have a Cisco 1841 that came with a 32MB flash card. I have a 64 sitting around here somewhere; can I throw in a larger flash card to run an upgraded IOS?

Not terribly familiar with the Cisco routers and how they do the IOS stuff, it's been over a decade since I had to configure one.

Typically yes. Same with the RAM too.

I have upgraded all of my Cisco gear for my home lab with aftermarket parts.

Just make sure that you don't damage the existing flash just in case you need to fall back to the original.

I hadn't realized you could upgrade the RAM on it. Turns out that the RAM it takes I also happen to have in an old Latitude I brought back with me. So, I just bumped it from 128MB to 256MB. So, if I can put in the 256MB flash (thought it was a 64, guess not) and get something running great.

But, my CF card reader doesn't work. Any chance there's a way to set up the CF and load an IOS over the terminal cable/Putty interface? When I boot into the router with my card, I get stuck at rommon

I'd prefer to keep the 32MB around with the original configuration/IOS (something running off 12.3)

I know 15's out there and I can probably get it at work.

Last edited:
you can always boot to IOS from the old flash then once everything is running off ram, swap to the new flash, load the new 15.x image on the new card and reload. assuming you did everything correctly, the router should boot into the new image. if not, at least you still have the old IOS to try again.

explaining in detail over forum posts how to upgrade IOS would be terribly difficult IMO. cisco.com always have decently easy to follow directions, just need to search their site for help.

I've personally put 4GB CF cards in my 2801 and 2 ASA 5505s. They work great.Upgraded all 3 with regular RAM as well.

you can always boot to IOS from the old flash then once everything is running off ram, swap to the new flash, load the new 15.x image on the new card and reload. assuming you did everything correctly, the router should boot into the new image. if not, at least you still have the old IOS to try again.

explaining in detail over forum posts how to upgrade IOS would be terribly difficult IMO. cisco.com always have decently easy to follow directions, just need to search their site for help.

^^ This. However after you pop in the new CF card do a format on it. Just make sure that you are working with the new flash and not the old one. The only other thing would be to check the running config and make sure that it does not specify a IOS to boot from.

Code:
Router# format flash:

Format operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]
Format operation will destroy all data in "flash:". Continue? [confirm]
Enter volume ID (up to 64 chars)[default flash]:
Current Low End File System flash card in flash will be formatted into DOS
File System flash card! Continue? [confirm]
Format:Drive communication & 1st Sector Write OK...
Writing Monlib sectors ...................................................................
Monlib write complete
Format:All system sectors written. OK...

Format:Total sectors in formatted partition:250592
Format:Total bytes in formatted partition:128303104
Format:Operation completed successfully.

Format of flash complete

^^ This. However after you pop in the new CF card do a format on it. Just make sure that you are working with the new flash and not the old one. The only other thing would be to check the running config and make sure that it does not specify a IOS to boot from.

Code:
Router# format flash:

Format operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]
Format operation will destroy all data in "flash:". Continue? [confirm]
Enter volume ID (up to 64 chars)[default flash]:
Current Low End File System flash card in flash will be formatted into DOS
File System flash card! Continue? [confirm]
Format:Drive communication & 1st Sector Write OK...
Writing Monlib sectors ...................................................................
Monlib write complete
Format:All system sectors written. OK...

Format:Total sectors in formatted partition:250592
Format:Total bytes in formatted partition:128303104
Format:Operation completed successfully.

Format of flash complete

thanks for filling in the minute details there. i was dead tired with a pounding headache posting that last night.

I forgot that my printer had a CF card reader in it. I was able to format the card in there and toss on a new IOS image, but a couple questions.

First off the show ver
Code:
Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 14-Feb-13 03:19 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Cisco1841 uptime is 1 hour, 1 minute
System returned to ROM by reload at 12:51:52 UTC Sat Mar 16 2013
System image file is "flash:c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M6.bin"
Last reload type: Normal Reload

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
[email protected].

Cisco 1841 (revision 6.0) with 239616K/22528K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1032Y0QW
2 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Serial interface
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
191K bytes of NVRAM.
500472K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

License Info:

License UDI:

-------------------------------------------------
Device#   PID                   SN
-------------------------------------------------
*0        CISCO1841             FTX1032Y0QW

Configuration register is 0x2102

1. The BootStrap shows 12.3, but the IOS loaded is 15.1. Is there a way to update the bootstrap, or does that even matter?

2. Any way to find the differences in the binary packages? ADVIPSERVICESK9-M vs. IPBASE, for example?

3. Is there any licensing that would make running one vs. the other the equivalent of piracy? I'm looking at a few of the 1841s we have in the field, most are running IPBase (which is what came on the factory 32MB flash), but there's one running the advsecurityk9-mz build.

Sorry, the extent of my role in Cisco devices at work is basically setting up port forwards, my coworker's the one that does the Cisco configurations. I'm hoping to change that now that I have an actual device to play with.

Last edited:
I forgot that my printer had a CF card reader in it. I was able to format the card in there and toss on a new IOS image, but a couple questions.

1. The BootStrap shows 12.3, but the IOS loaded is 15.1. Is there a way to update the bootstrap, or does that even matter?

2. Any way to find the differences in the binary packages? ADVIPSERVICESK9-M vs. IPBASE, for example?

3. Is there any licensing that would make running one vs. the other the equivalent of piracy? I'm looking at a few of the 1841s we have in the field, most are running IPBase (which is what came on the factory 32MB flash), but there's one running the advsecurityk9-mz build.

Sorry, the extent of my role in Cisco devices at work is basically setting up port forwards, my coworker's the one that does the Cisco configurations. I'm hoping to change that now that I have an actual device to play with.

1. Typically this doesn't matter. If you can login to Cisco's site and get a newer version of the bootstrap for this model then go for it.

2. Yes, the Cisco website has a comparison section that details the features of each IOS subset.

3. Technically if you didn't pay for an upgraded license you would be pirating. So if you paid for base, then that is what you get unless you illegally find a copy from google or pay to upgrade.

Back