• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Got a 5970, keep the 5870?

SeaFoam

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 13, 2004
Messages
5,066
Now I am sure someone will say 'use the search button' but I am feeling lazy.

Would it be very beneficial for me to tri-fire the 5970 and the 5870 or should I just sell the 5870?

Running 3 1680x1050 screens.
 
Unopened box? If not, try it out! I remember seeing gerardfraser posting some numbers with the same video card setup, albiet not using 3 screens.
 
Tri-fire it if your PSU is up to the task. Or you can donate your 5870 to me.... ur choice. :D
 
trifire scaling is pretty damn good. Either choice isn't a bad one though. Ask you self whether you'd rather have the money, or the performance.
 
I had the two in trifire, unfortunately the 5970 was getting WAY too hot since there's no room for it to pull air in with the 5870 stacked underneath.

It would be nice to get another 5970 but I hear that doesn't work real great (quadfire)
 
I'd sell or return the 5870. The 5970 is the best solution for Eyefinity right now. I tried using two of them but it didn't work out so great. Let's just say i was underwhelmed with ATI's driver support for that kind of configuration.
 
There haven't been many reports of trifire working/scaling properly with Eyefinity. Single screen yes, multiple no.

(I have a 5970, and have been doing COUNTLESS amounts of searching/researching on the possibility... still seem to be some bugs to work out, and honestly, some people speculate if it will EVERY work properly).

I'd say tri-fire with a single large monitor, or the 5970 with the Eye rig (I have the same size screens, 3xIPS 22", and the 5970 does an admirable job in most cases)
 
There haven't been many reports of trifire working/scaling properly with Eyefinity. Single screen yes, multiple no.

(I have a 5970, and have been doing COUNTLESS amounts of searching/researching on the possibility... still seem to be some bugs to work out, and honestly, some people speculate if it will EVERY work properly).

I'd say tri-fire with a single large monitor, or the 5970 with the Eye rig (I have the same size screens, 3xIPS 22", and the 5970 does an admirable job in most cases)

I'll never go back to single screen, the difference is just too great.

I am thinking the best idea would be to sell the 5870, wait and hopefully they get eyefinity/cf working correctly and pick up a second 5970.
 
Yup..that's what I did (I had TWO 5850s to add, no realizing it was scaling TERRIBLY...thankfully I got what I paid for them and all was not lost...)

And I agree- once you go Eyefinity, you'll never go back! :cool:
 
Yup..that's what I did (I had TWO 5850s to add, no realizing it was scaling TERRIBLY...thankfully I got what I paid for them and all was not lost...)

And I agree- once you go Eyefinity, you'll never go back! :cool:

I read that scaling with two was great - obviously different running Eyefinity though.
 
Yeah tri-fire scales well with 1 screen, for the most part...

But Eyefinity is a different story... very little to 0 percent for most people. Definitely not enough to warrant an additional 300-600.00...unless you don't mid it being a paperweight with Eyefinity engaged! :confused:
 
I would sell the 5870, and keep the 5970. Then wait for the new ATI card in sept/oct
 
Yeah it's not for everyone...

But I have to admit, I have both... (i have a 40" 1080p LCD if I get the "large screen" urge) ;)
 
Back
Top