Got a 5.6gig file and an 8gig stick, wont fit, wtf?

SultanGris

Limp Gawd
as title says, Got a 5.6gig file and an 8gig stick, wont fit, wtf? freshly formatted empty drive. :confused:

FAT32 file size limit. Try NTFS or another file system that supports such large individual files. Or break it up...

4 GB.
Fat 32 has in inherent limit to the maximum size of any file you load to a disk which is 4 GB. RESOLUTIONS: There are two ways to go around this: You can split the data so that the files do not exceed 4GB.
FAT32 Systems and 2GB File Size Limit - Genie9
https://www.genie9.com/Support/KB/KnowledgeArticle.aspx?KBID=113

ah, yea its formatted in fat32. file is a video so splitting isnt ideal. Forgot that file size limit little gem, thanks!
'
however the file created in windows movie maker i just discovered actually wont even play for some reason. Not to mention windows movie maker seems to have cut the original files video quality in half. used windows movie maker to combine the multiple clips into one continuous video and add sound. what a crap program, doesnt seem capable of maintaining original quality(1080P 60fps) for some reason, if it does i cant figure out how, my first test output file looked about half quality even though i selected 1080p setting and the second test file isnt even playable(added more clips), grrr!

Give Shotcut a try. It's a free, open source, cross platform video editor. I've been playing around with it for a couple weeks and it seems to work pretty well. It's a little hard to figure out at first and it is not terribly well documented but it is quite useable and (for me) pretty stable (on version 15.03.03).

definitely make sure its exFAT because Macs, XBoxs, PS3/4, and other devices dont recognize NTFS

Isn't there the ntfs-3g module that provides read / write support? I have used the linux version for years.

maybe but it isn't default. you use some random persons mac you may be screwed especially schools and businesses.

or exFAT which is probably a better choice on USB drives.
//Danne

This has me curious. Citation for this? And I guess more specifically, if you remove any non-Windows compatibility, advantages of exFAT vs. NTFS?

definitely make sure its exFAT because Macs, XBoxs, PS3/4, and other devices dont recognize NTFS

This has me curious. Citation for this? And I guess more specifically, if you remove any non-Windows compatibility, advantages of exFAT vs. NTFS?

read what i said earlier. I might be mistaken on Xboxes (being MS product and all) but I known PS3s don't like NTFS and nor do Macs at least not at default. When i go to school for photography class every semester i have to redo my USB drive because i forget you can't write to NTFS. I also wouldn't be surprised if android cant use NTFS. I dont own anything android to try but if PS3 and Macs don't like it i doubt an android would either

From what i remember on wikipedia NTFS is slightly faster file system but its not note worthy IIRC. It was in the wikipedia site that i read that so take it for what it is.

exFAT is better for USB sticks because you don't waste flash writes keeping track of the journal. You don't need a journal for something you rarely write things to, it's more aimed at keeping track of constant writes done by the operating system, and not losing critical metadata during an OS crash or power failure.

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Journaling

ok thanks, i tried avs4you as well, it was even worse quality than windows movie maker. downloading shotcut now!

Format the sucker. There is likely hidden junk/recycle bin folders on the turd.

Death to rotten apples while at it.

however the file created in windows movie maker i just discovered actually wont even play for some reason. Not to mention windows movie maker seems to have cut the original files video quality in half.

Windows Movie Maker doesn't support file sizes over 4GB.. it just produces a garbage file.

two separate issues, sorry for confusion. File size issue vs fat 32 and video editing issue, which i still aint solved. tried windows movie maker, avs4you, adobi premiere 12, adobi cc and still cant maintain my original file quality of 1080p 60fps. i know nothing about it, perhaps its me being dumb and cant figure it out, cause adobe should do it.

I've found USB sticks formatted in exFAT seem to run a couple of MBps faster too than NTFS, probably less overhead as hinted at earlier.

Last edited:
All of those apps are re-compressing/encoding your video. You would need to use the same compression and data rate to keep it close to what the original looks like with those apps.

There are apps like Virtual Dub that can combine clips without re-encoding them, but Virtual Dub, at least the version I have, only works with certain file types, and I don't think you can add a soundtrack to the file.

Here is Premiere CS6's export window showing the bitrate adjustment,
premiere-export-settings.jpg

Last edited:
Back