Got a 390x, what do you want to see?

I think the general consensus was that GPU-Z needs to be updated which probably won't happen until launch.

Does GPU-Z pull info from the bios or what? Because that R9 200 series sticks out like a sore thumb.

No gpuz draws info from a database and if its not put in there from wizard that runs the website then the program draws whats there which obviously isnt correct for the 390 as its NOT in the databse and then gpuz is worthless atm.

Worthless...due to until the database is updated it will show stuff wrong.

guys better buy a Sapphire R9 290X 8GB now.. and then flash it later to 390X.. done and cheaper..

dLP75cg.gif

Just installed the drivers from the CD. Shows 3 series now.

Dump the vbios and the internet will go wild.
A lot of 290X owners out there want to play around.

I say Sirplayalot is the Internet hero of the day already. Someone actually giving some real info and willing to give us pictures of the board.

know one has flashed there 290x to a 390x yet? Im sure one of you guys will try it soon

Oh, definitely.

Very odd. Maybe only the new Fury dies are being moved to GloFlo production while the rebadges are still being produced by TSMC. It doesn't explain the performance differences between 390x and 290x though.

I'm eager to see perhaps if sirplay has a 290x on hand in addition to his 390x?

I uploaded the small program. You can highlight and copy the text and post on here. This will query all GPU's in the system including the Intel GPU if you have a CPU with it.

What I'm looking for when you run this with the 390X is the OpenCL version. Tonga is OpenCL 2.0 (GCN 1.2). Tahiti is OpenCL 1.2 (GCN 1.1)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00705049057900127167

Last edited:
It should probably behave just like an XFX 290X DD, unless XFX changed the fans or adjusted the fan curve.

Im a bit surprised kyle or Steve hasn't front paged this.....imo

The small program I uploaded should give you the clue you're looking for as far as what GCN version it is.

OpenCL 1.2 is GCN 1.1
OpenCL 2.0 is GCN 1.2

The small program I uploaded should give you the clue you're looking for as far as what GCN version it is.

OpenCL 1.2 is GCN 1.1
OpenCL 2.0 is GCN 1.2

My R9 290 shows:

1. Device: Hawaiin 1.1 Hardware version: OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (1642.5)n 1.2 Softwa
re version: 1642.5 (VM)n 1.3 OpenCL C version: OpenCL C 2.0 n 1.4 Parallel compu
te units: 40n

So I don't think we can go by the OpenCL version...

My R9 290 shows:

1. Device: Hawaiin 1.1 Hardware version: OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (1642.5)n 1.2 Softwa
re version: 1642.5 (VM)n 1.3 OpenCL C version: OpenCL C 2.0 n 1.4 Parallel compu
te units: 40n

So I don't think we can go by the OpenCL version...

Hope he runs it just to compare then. If the device says "Hawaiin 1.1" ......

The card has an annoying whine to it when the fans kick on full speed. Not too bad, but still annoying.

So...just a rebadged 290x with more ram? Any small improvements in the architecture ?

can someone provide some perspective on that score compared to a 290x with similar cpu?

Since you're using a 4770K, I pulled up Hexus' bench for comparison. (they clocked theirs to 1126/6004)

3DOC.png

Depending on whether Hexus OC'd their 4770K and whether the 290X was throttling, seems 1050 core 390X is roughly 1120 core 290X. Of course once you throw in driver optimizations I don't really know if we can say anything concrete at this point.

Back