• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Got 2405FPW, problems playing Xbox on it

Gel214th

n00b
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
22
Hullo all,

I got my Dell 2405FPW, and it rocks. I like the colors, gaming so far seems fine.

However, I hooked my Xbox up to it via Component cables for High Definition output.

THere is an odd Shimmering on the screen with the Xbox signal. All the connectors are in properly, but the image is not rock solid. Whether I play it 1:1, or Full or Aspect, the shimmering still remains. It's like the signal is wavering almost, very slightly it can be noticed on all the graphics. On bright white screens you can really see it clearly.

Maybe not shimmering..more like rolling lines..yes that is probably the exact description. Rolling lines.

Is it that this monitor simply can't handle the 480p signal? I have turned on 480p and all the other relevant modes in the Xbox setup screen before putting in the Game CD.

At the bottom of the OSD I see Component: 480p 60Hz displayed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much :)
 
Bumped...

So many people have this monitor, from the threads.
No one else has seen or corrected this issue?
Do I have a dud then?
 
i have tried 480p with my ps2 and i dont get rolling lines, 1080i with gt4 seems fine too.
 
I don't get the shimmer effect when I use the regular Composite input, but I still get it with component.

It's almost as if you set your monitor refresh to 60Hz, there would be a flicker almost..but on this it's a ...shimmer...as though everything is moving ever so slightly.

Very odd effect, and I think it will cause eyestrain with prolonged use.

I have a PS2, but no component kit for it so I can't test.

Resetting to Factory Defaults didn't help.

I expected, even with some blurring because of the scaling etc. , the image to be as rock steady as my normal computing image is via the DVI.

And it isn't.
 
An update to this is that this morning I turned on the monitor and the Xbox and tried to game and the image was great. There were no rolling lines.

And then, all of a sudden, after about 15 minutes of use, the lines appeared again :(

I really don't understand it. *sigh*
 
what cables are you using?

and if your using a component switch box check the manual for what frequency it supports
 
I'm using the Monster Cables, with the gold plating. The ones that are hard as crap to push in and pull out :)

I mean, i sometimes have to use a pliers to pull the connections out, thats how tightly they grip, and I can't really open them wider because of the tough metal (I doubt its solid gold).

I bought a cheaper Pelican S-Video adapter for the Xbox, and sure enough no rolling lines at all. BUt it certainly doesn't look good..very blurry and you can see its been scaled for sure.

I suppose, that something is wrong with the monitor? :(
 
I have the same set of Monster Xbox cables as you, hard as hell to push in model I think ;) . But I get the same effect in games. I have a modified Xbox and when I am running my Dash (Xbox Media Center) at 1080i or 720p i don't get that shimmering effect I do in games so I know its not my cables. Sorry I can't be of more help but just wanted to throw that in there before you sent your monitor back and had the same problem when you got it back.
 
?
You think it could be the Monster cables then?

Oh..just re-read. You said when you set to 720 or 1080i you don't get the shimmering. I don't know of any Xbox games that ran at 720p that I could test.

But yes, if it was the cables you should get the shimmering all the time.

So, it could be the Xbox then? Something with the 480p output signal and these monitors?
 
I don't believe I ever noticed any shimmering lines when I tested out my Xbox on my 2405 but 480P signals look really bad on the monitor IMO. Since simple things like having a correct aspect ratio in 480p aren't taken into consideration (with the component/composite/s-video inputs) there is no telling what else it wrong with them.
 
Right now I am unsure of that but I can check when I get home tonight what it looks like in 480p on the dash.
 
Just recived this monitor a couple days ago and I'm experiencing the same rolling line problems with my Xbox. I've tried both Xbox brand component and Monster component. There are other threads in this forum which adress it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=929965

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=830031 (search "xbox")

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=867944 (search "xbox")

There is one person so far (Heyzeus17) that has confirmed experiencing this problem with Xbox, requesting a monitor return and then recieving a new one with out this problem.

Some say they expeirience this problem after prolonged use. 15 mins to an hour. For me this problem pops up very spordically. I can turn it on and the problem is there right away and two hours later it's gone, then it comes back, then it's gone. I was almost convinced it was interference from something else running in the house (like a fridge or AC) but now I see others are having this problem too.
 
WEll..umm..after the significant investment this monitor represented I don't think we should be getting any problems at all eh?

0_0
 
I'm going to wait it out a bit and do a little more investigating. Everything else about this monitor is perfect (so far), no backlight bleeding, no dead pixels as mentioned in the numerous other threads out there. So I'm a little hesitant to send it back only to get another with one of these (in my opinion) more serious problems which affect the picture no matter what input you're using. I'm going to try a an other component source to see how it fares. I might even buy a component to vga adapter to see how that looks with the xbox.
I've also noticed that movies look HORRIBLE through the xbox component. I get red, static, vertical bars evenly spaced across the screen.... S-Video looks fine though.
 
oh yah, vdigi doesnt work through the vga cable for some reason, it says unable to something something thorough the source., maybe ill try it again but i dont think vga boxes will work with this monitor
 
Thanks for the VGA info. Well I just put the order in to exchange mine. Dell Canada exchage was quick and painless. It literally took me 10 mins. Customer and tech reps were all Canadian, I told the tech guy what the problem was and he set up a replacement for me with out putting me through the motions... "Is your power cord plugged in? Do you have a virus on your pc that might be causing these wavy lines?" The new montitor will arive in two business days at which time I will be given all the prepaid info to have my current montitor shipped out. I don't have to leave the house and I don't have to be without a monitor!
 
E DesRock said:
I'm going to wait it out a bit and do a little more investigating. Everything else about this monitor is perfect (so far), no backlight bleeding, no dead pixels as mentioned in the numerous other threads out there. So I'm a little hesitant to send it back only to get another with one of these (in my opinion) more serious problems which affect the picture no matter what input you're using. I'm going to try a an other component source to see how it fares. I might even buy a component to vga adapter to see how that looks with the xbox.
I've also noticed that movies look HORRIBLE through the xbox component. I get red, static, vertical bars evenly spaced across the screen.... S-Video looks fine though.

Hm, I haven't tried DVD's on my 2405...just got it yestarday. I played Halo and it looked pretty good at 480p, although AA would have been a huge help. I only played for about 15 minutes, so I didn't really test it out much. Only problem I noticed was a very occaisional (happened twice) large artifact popping up. Looked kinda like a big pink triangle in the shape of the sword, and it flashed on screen for a split second. Nothing I'm overly worried about. Not worth sending the monitor back, at least not yet. If I have time, I'll bring the xbox up and try it again, with DVD playback. Kind of a pain in the ass since the cable modem is setup downstairs along with my router, whereas my PC is upstairs. So it's either computer use, or xbox live...not both (tried the xbox wireless adapter...even when it's right next to my router, I get incredible lag).
 
i noticed something of interest to those of you using s-video or composite inputs w/ the monitor.. in the OSD there is something called "Video Mode" in the "Image Settings" subsection.

from the online manual :

Turning video mode "On" reveals the true to reality crisp video images using S-video and Composite video inputs. You can choose between "On" and "Off".

On : Displays optimum video image by automatically enhancing colors in the brighter color patterns with brighter background video and darker color patterns in the darker backer background video. The setting is set to "On" by default.
Off : Displays the standard colors as relayed by the video source.
 
Video mode on/off doesn't make a difference.
I just saw a new 2405 buyer reporting the same rolling lines issue on the Component Input as well.

If this is a flaw, it should be mentioned in reviews. I wonder how they tested the monitor, if they never tested the Component inputs at all?

Does *anyone* play Xbox at 480p directly through the Component inputs on the 2405 and NOT have any problem with rolling lines?
 
i defo have no probes playing either ps2 or xbox thryu component
 
i'm thinking maybe running the xbox through component cables to an upconverter might result in better imaqe quality? but i haven't tried it myself so i'm not entirely sure
 
Upconverting to 720p should fix the aspect ratio problem the monitor has displaying 480p/480i over it's inputs (another thing you never see mentioned in any reviews, which is funny because the added inputs are a huge selling point to the monitor and all)
 
I get the same problem of rolling lines, shimmering, etc with my xbox component cables. I have tried multiple brands of cable (Microsoft, Monster), different Xboxs, and even THREE different 2405 monitors. All have the same problem. An X2VGA Xbox VGA adapter works ok for now... uggh, this is dissapointing.
 
i wonder if gamecube w/ component inputs will experience the same problem
 
no problem for me playing ps2 via componant or xbox on componant. Gamed on it for at least 7 hours.

Now as for xbox i dont know how you set it to 720p or if you do set it. Games dont have the option. They do look a thousand times better once componant is on
 
I have no problem with my XBox and Halo 2 using component and s-video input. I played for 2 hours straight without rolling lines. I haven't tried other games though.

The only downside I notice is the jagged edge even with 480P.
 
I guess I should reply since I was one of the other users who reported rolling lines (after 20 min - 1 hr of use) on 480i/p component input. I RMA'd that monitor because it also made a loud whining noise after 20 minutes - 1 hour of use.

The new monitor does not make the dreaded noise, and it also has no problems on 480i/p component input. No rolling lines, even after extended usage. On 480i (i only - not p) against a white screen, I can sort of see some kind of faint flickering, but only when I'm right up next to it. I think what I'm actually seeing there is the interlacing.

So yeah, those rolling lines shouldn't be there.

Edit: Oh, by the way, the first monitor was a Jun 01 A01, and the new one is a July 01 A01. I don't know if that matters.
 
sativa said:
i noticed something of interest to those of you using s-video or composite inputs w/ the monitor.. in the OSD there is something called "Video Mode" in the "Image Settings" subsection.

from the online manual :

Turning video mode "On" reveals the true to reality crisp video images using S-video and Composite video inputs. You can choose between "On" and "Off".

On : Displays optimum video image by automatically enhancing colors in the brighter color patterns with brighter background video and darker color patterns in the darker backer background video. The setting is set to "On" by default.
Off : Displays the standard colors as relayed by the video source.


have you guys tried this yet? i posted it a while ago and no one has even attempted this?
 
sativa said:
have you guys tried this yet? i posted it a while ago and no one has even attempted this?

Sorry for not responding. I tried it on my old unit, but it didn't help. Rolling lines either way.
 
Yeah i had this problem on my first 2405fpw, usually it would show up after having been on or been being used for 30 minutes or so and when it was warm.

Picture was fine right when i turned on the monitor but after it was warm i would get the problem of those rolling lines and such.

Interestingly enough after about the same amount of time the monitor would start to make a faint high pitched sound. So the two would show up around the same time, whether they are related or not i don't know.

I rma'd the monitor, second one i got didn't have the problem though it had six dead pixels so i rma'd that one, third one i got didn't have the problem at all either or any other problems so i kept it and now i'm happy.

i've left halo 2 running on it for awhile and the problem still never showed up.

I say it shouldn't be doing it and if you have one that does send it back and keep sending it back till you get one that doesn't do it. For 900 bucks there is no excuse for this monitor to not work like it should. There was no way i was gonna stand for that especially since i got this monitor to replace my old monitor and because i was planning on playing x360 on it.
 
Back
Top