Gorilla Glass

HardOCP News

[H] News
It has taken fifty years or so but Gorilla glass might finally be coming into its own. Gorilla glass, Gorilla glass, Gorilla glass...I just like the way that sounds. :D

Gorilla showed early promise in the '60s, but failed to find a commercial use, so it's been biding its time in a hilltop research lab for almost a half-century. It picked up its first customer in 2008 and has quickly become a $170 million a year business as a protective layer over the screens of 40 million-plus cell phones and other mobile devices.

The gorilla glass on my droid is indestructible. I carry it in my pocket with a half a dozen keys, slid it across some concrete (glass side down), and dropped it from 3 - 4 feet several times - not a scratch yet!

The metal surround is a bit scratched up, but the glass is still like new!

This is a big deal for us guys looking to get rid of bezels.

Because Gorilla is very hard to break, dent or scratch, Corning is betting it will be the glass of choice as TV-set manufacturers dispense with protective rims or bezels for their sets, in search of an elegant look.

Corning set out in the late 1950s to find a glass as strong as steel. Dubbed Project Muscle, the effort combined heating and layering experiments and produced a robust yet bendable material called Chemcor.
Then in 1964, Corning devised an ingenious method called "fusion draw" to make super-thin, unvaryingly flat glass.

I thought invisible steel was invented in 1986.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19BWJQ8kjrw

I had it on my cell phone, was freaking awesome. but it slowly pealed off the phone. I got it from best buy... Paid 30 bucks for it. Lasted 4 months. From taking in and out of my pocket all the time. Not sure if was same stuff. I could run a key over it and did nothing...

I had it on my cell phone, was freaking awesome. but it slowly pealed off the phone. I got it from best buy... Paid 30 bucks for it. Lasted 4 months. From taking in and out of my pocket all the time. Not sure if was same stuff. I could run a key over it and did nothing...

That sounds like more of a protective coating, similar to the 3M debris shielding you can get for your car. The article sounds like it's referring to using this glass for the actual screen surface itself, rather than combining glass with a coating. The Gorilla Glass is tougher than a traditional glass + coating combo, and would not be prone to peeling apart either.

Sounds good to me!

they got this stuff on the zune hd's, my zune has been trashed, the back side of it is all scratched up, but the glass is perfect :)

I heard about this stuff a while ago and am just wondering if it's been around for so long why it's taken this long to start using if for the myriad applications it's perfect for. It's not like fragile glass screens are anything new. In the last several phones I've had I usually ended up having to replace the screen at least once over it's lifetime. And for ammusements sake someone abusing a gorilla glass device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Ce8Ckqu0w

Besides some humorous videos on Youtube, who breaks their LCD monitor and TV screens? At an extra $30 to $60 per set, I'd rather just take my chances. That much extra per monitor I have purchased would exceed the cost of a replacement monitor even if I did ever break a monitor.

Might be worth it for a bezeless monitor, but for a regular monitor it doesn't seem worth the cost, especially since LCD prices keep dropping.

they got this stuff on the zune hd's, my zune has been trashed, the back side of it is all scratched up, but the glass is perfect :)
Definitely holds up better than regular glass or plastic but at the right angle and a little bit of force you can still scratch it. I have a ZuneHD and I still managed to put a small ding in the screen. It isn't horrible but I notice it every once in a while. I look at it as it could have been much worse with a lesser glass or plastic screen.

The gorilla glass on my droid is indestructible. I carry it in my pocket with a half a dozen keys, slid it across some concrete (glass side down), and dropped it from 3 - 4 feet several times - not a scratch yet!

The metal surround is a bit scratched up, but the glass is still like new!

It's not completely indestructable. My buddy's replacement Droid screen looks like a bashed in safety window full of cracks after he dropped it off a table onto the floor face down. He still uses it and it looks kinda cool but considering he just paid the $90 deductible to get that one, he's sticking with it. I've had the same Tech Skinz on mine since I got it in December. It still looks new. I take really good care of my stuff though.

Can't wait for bezeless LCD's for improved Eyefinity gaming.

1986 was transparent aluminum. I don't even need to see the clip to know what your referencing. Beam me up!

I dont even need to see the clip to remember the guy telling him to use the mouse, and then Scotty picking it up and talking into it..

Back