Google's Picasa is Sluggish and Slows down my computer

Hi, I've heard about Google's Picasa for a while now but just recently decided to give it a try. I have atleast 50,000 photos and wallpaper on my computer and they're organized in folders and subfolders but it's a bit messy since there in different places on my computer. I wanted a photo orgranizer and viewer that can make it much easier for me to keep track of my photos and find them when I need them. So I decided to give Picasa a try. First off after installing it gave me 2 options, one was to scan my whole computer or 2 was to scan my documents, desktop, etc. There was no option that said scan later so I chose the documents, desktop option. It took a couple of hours to scan for everything which was very very frustrating to say the least and there was no option to exit the scan. Once the scan was done I began to try out the program. When first opened I noticed for the first 10 minutes or so it would use my computer very heavily. I then increased the size of the thumbnails to my liking but noticed when scrolling through the photos the thumbnails were quite blurry for the first 5 seconds or so, then they became sharper but it was very annoying. When scrolling through the photos I noticed that it wasn't smooth but quite sluggish. My computer started becoming slower and slower. Doing basic stuff on my computer that normally takes a few seconds now took atleast twice as long. I closed Picasa and then decided to defragment my computer using Diskeeper. I noticed that it was heavily fragmented so I decided to defragment. It took about 10 minutes or so but my computer was back to normal. I decided to open up Picasa again, my computer became very sluggish and slow again. I was very pleased with the way that Picasa organized and displayed my photos but I can't continue to use it since I haveto defragment every time I use it and it slows my computer down to a crawl. Anyone? Also anyone know if these problems in Picasa will be fixed anytime soon. I mean I'd easily pay 50 dollars or so for Picasa as long as it didn't have these problems and wasn't such a memory hog. Anyone know any alternatives to Picasa? I'm already trying Adobe Photoshop elements 5.0 (trying out the 30 day free trial) but I don't like it too much. Another question that I have is how does Windows Vista's Photo gallery compare to Picasa? (in terms of organizing and viewing. Is it better,worse?) Thanks alot for your help, Stu

I do a lot of photo work. You need a good cpu and lots of ram. When you transition between slides it usually uses CPU if you have any transitions. If you are just browsing a large library of photos you'll need lots of ram. When you max your physical ram out on a slideshow it crawls. I had the same situation with another piece of "photo organizer" software.

Just monitor your task manager and see what's the culprit, cpu, ram.

I do a lot of photo work. You need a good cpu and lots of ram. When you transition between slides it usually uses CPU if you have any transitions. If you are just browsing a large library of photos you'll need lots of ram. When you max your physical ram out on a slideshow it crawls. I had the same situation with another piece of "photo organizer" software.

Just monitor your task manager and see what's the culprit, cpu, ram.

Thanks for the response. my computer is a sony Vaio VGC-RA834G, it's around 2 years old and is 3.6 ghz with 1gb of ram, would this be sufficient? Would adding more ram help?

If I had to guess, I'd say it was slowing down because of the massive number of photos. Why do you need software to organize your photos? Most digital photographers and the like that I know use a simple renaming utility, and then use directories and subdirectories to organize the photos. The only real "photo" utility any of them use is their editor of choice, such as Photoshop.

Adding RAM is never a bad idea, but I don't think that would make much of a difference here.

Your system could need a good cleaning too. Just like a car needs an oil change computers need a software cleaning every 6 months.

Back