Google's Experimental Fiber Network

I went ahead and nominated by community and sent my council members encouraging emails to nominate as well. My first time getting "involved" with my community :D

Why do IT people say Guigabyte instead of gigabyte? Didn't they see Back to the future? Remember 1.21 gigawatts?

1.21 jiggawatts?

I'd love to have such a service in NYC but I wont get my hopes up

Hell, I live in San Francisco and fios isn't available in my area. Google, bring me some of that delicious bandwidth.

I remember going from 56k to DSL and feeling like my life was complete. (This was ~12 years ago) While the 20/4 cable I'm using right now is definitely a huge upgrade compared to mid-range DSL, it pisses me off knowing that I'm paying way more than people in various parts of Europe and Asia. We're supposed to be this bigshot super power but we're still lacking in this department.

I still don't understand why I'm forced to pay for cable television if I just want internet.

Google is a business entity, not a government entity.

Google wiring up cities is no different from Comcast or AT&T doing so.

I say rewire the cities with fiber optics, and don't throw away the old stuff. Give the old stuff to rural areas ;-)

Say that again? And please include the Chinese Government in it.

Wow, the US will finally be catching up to Japan but only with Google's fingers in the bowl and no doubt sniffing all your packets.

Say that again? And please include the Chinese Government in it.

Not sure where you're coming from. Google didn't make a political statement with China. They followed the rules, but China abused Google's service. Google is merely saying "fine, if you want to continue being like that, we'll just leave". It was a business decision.

This is great news. Would love for them to come to Albany, I'd drop Time Warner in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure why you've quoted my post with this response. We don't disagree. Taxpayers should foot the bill for this kind of thing directly, and not have to wait on private companies to not deliver on promises or fail altogether.

I'll just clarify by stating that I support publicly owned and operated (read government) institutions controlling most every necessary service. From utilities and education to healthcare and police or fire protection. ISPs and basic internet service should fall under the same public umbrella. Open access to information has become as essential to modern life as having a school to send your kids.

Having said that, while ultimately I'd prefer a publicly controlled solution to the problem of limited access, this is still a good thing. Broadband availability isn't growing nearly as fast as it should. Fresh competition into this stagnant market (that's failing consumers in just about every measurable way) sure can't hurt. Personally, I'd pay anyone a pretty penny to deliver that kind of speed to my home.

I can't possibly disagree more with any of your posts in this thread. The purpose of government isn't to baby us from cradle to grave. I can't think of much the government does well or efficiently. Those "evil" private corporations you vehemently oppose have to compete which improves quality of service.

My dad proposed we go with AT&T for fiber optic internet, which is fine, as long as it's faster than our previous DSL. I asked the guy who was installing the system, he said it would be. When he finished, I tested, with speedtest of course, it was a third of the speed.

My dad downgraded the cap they placed.

-_-

Google, please come to Akron.

soooo much false information in this thread it's amazing...

Does Google have a backbone network?

Since you haven't had an answer, yes they do.
I specifically asked one of the major guys working on geographical Google projects (like Maps/Earth), and he said they have their own network running alongside the "conventional Internet" so that they can ensure that people's searches can get too and from one of their data centers ASAP - response time is important in keeping users happy.

I can't possibly disagree more with any of your posts in this thread. The purpose of government isn't to baby us from cradle to grave. I can't think of much the government does well or efficiently. Those "evil" private corporations you vehemently oppose have to compete which improves quality of service.

To add to this: The communist manifesto states similar goals to the GP:

6. Centralization of the means of communications and transportation in the hands of the State.

I don't really like the way that most cities are set up now either, where a single telco/single cableco typically gets granted monopoly access, but I've said before (Can't remember if it was here or not) "I don't have a good solution that doesn't wind up looking like India's infrastructure.".

I know something like this will never be in my neighborhood, but I'm hoping it'll at least kick the telecos/ISPs into improving so that the benefits trickle-down to my neck of the woods.

There is no way Google could possible ever be as bad as Comcast. And until Google gives you a valid reason not to trust them, there isn't any reason to trust any other ISPs over Google. So I don't really understand why people are saying Google would make a bad ISP.

I wonder if Ann Arbor will get it based on the fact a new office is there. That might be cool...

I do have to say, Google is starting to scare me. From what I read:

Google is gonna lay the fiber, and incur the expense of this. Next they're going to allow other ISPs provide service off of Google's fiber network. But since it's still on Google's fiber network, they will still be able to monitor every packet. I see what they're doing. They're releasing something above and beyond what anyone else has even attempted to offer. It's going to profit since it's redic fast. Fast forward 10 years>> Expanded nationwide, and it's now a cloud service, no other ISPs are in business.....

I am actually fine with my Cable DL speed not so much the UL speed though. Though both fluctuate often. This would be really nice though.

Originally Posted by Recursion
Originally Posted by DeathFromBelow
I want! My lowly 3 Mbps cable blows.

There are lots of places where fiber is not available.

Id love to hear one place?

How about Philadelphia, PA ... a major city. No we don't have fiber, we don't have fios and there's no way of knowing if or when we will. Our choices:

Comcast - advertised on their site (our package here): download speeds up to 15 Mbps and uploads up to 3 Mbps with PowerBoost

Now I don't use powerboost, I know it's a bunch of hooey. Cost $42.95 plus modem rental, fees, taxes, etc., ad nauseum - ends up being over $50 a month.

Just did 2 speedtest,

Why San Siego was faster I've no idea, but I can tell you the first test in MT? Is definitely more of what I see on a daily basis. That is when my internet isn't dropping out completely, then coming back.

I did just nominate our section of the city, our "community" to google. I know they snoop, everybody and everything snoops. Give me reliable, less expensive internet with good cs and people who know what the heck they're doing when they try to troubleshoot. And give us choice. I'd love to say bye bye to comcast

Back