Google's Experimental Fiber Network

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google announced plans today to roll out an experimental fiber network to as many as 500,000 people in a small number of trial locations. According to the blog posting, the new fiber network will provide speeds of 1 gigabit per second at a “competitive price.”

/me channels Mel Brooks
"Google the FLAME THROWER! All the kids love this one..."

YES

it has begun!!!

i get scared of google sometimes, but anyone that wants to make america's internet faster and cheaper is a friend to me. homepage- set to google again ;)

As long as they don't pull a FIOS and just give it to a selected few here and there, I'm all for this plan.

Bring it to Chicago, Illinois and Chesterton, Indiana!

Man I wish this would be tested in canada, we need the competition.

Even if it was a true 100 Mbps up and down from google we would take it yet alone 1 Gbps.

As long as they don't pull a FIOS and just give it to a selected few here and there, I'm all for this plan.

Fios being given to a select few more often than not has to do with your local government and not the isp.

The permits and legal BS an ISP needs to run new fiber through a town are insane, and sometimes its just not worth the investment for payback.

For example, large parts of Boston dont have Fios while most of its suburbs do. This is because Boston has so many bullshit legal procedures that Verizon would have to follow to lay down fiber that it just isnt worth the return even in a city.

It would be good if they became a big isp. It would wipe out those greedy cable companies that have stalled us at slow speeds for the longest time. Can do anything with 1gb speeds. Especially the upload.

I really think something like this is just a step to far. We all benefit by using different services. A collective authority has never in history been synonymous with freedom. While google may now stand for freedom and neutrality, we cannot say for sure that its poised opinion now is not a justification for its endgame in the future. The more centralized everything gets, the less freedom we have as individuals. From a pure technological standpoint this may be good, but from a individual and political standpoint, we all will loose from this.

Eventually we may get to a point where google or a company like it provides all network and computing services and in the interest of national and personal security we will be forced by law or increased market regulation to use them.

Lets hope that instead of google rewiring places that already have at;east DSL, let them wire rural areas, so some of our less fortunate have access.

I really think something like this is just a step to far. We all benefit by using different services. A collective authority has never in history been synonymous with freedom. While google may now stand for freedom and neutrality, we cannot say for sure that its poised opinion now is not a justification for its endgame in the future. The more centralized everything gets, the less freedom we have as individuals. From a pure technological standpoint this may be good, but from a individual and political standpoint, we all will loose from this.

Eventually we may get to a point where google or a company like it provides all network and computing services and in the interest of national and personal security we will be forced by law or increased market regulation to use them.

Lets hope that instead of google rewiring places that already have at;east DSL, let them wire rural areas, so some of our less fortunate have access.

Google is a business entity, not a government entity.

Google wiring up cities is no different from Comcast or AT&T doing so.

I say rewire the cities with fiber optics, and don't throw away the old stuff. Give the old stuff to rural areas ;-)

Wow some people are obviously scared of their own shadow. I'll take an order of 1Gbps internet, hold the paranoia...

I wouldn't want to pay to lay fiber in any of America's old cities (Chicago, NY, Boston, etc) There has to be so much BS involved.

The suburbs that is a different story. I don't think it should be legal for municpalities to enter into sole use agreements with these providers.

I demand better internet than Comcast, and I would be willing to pay more than 64.95 for it.

oh wait my bill just went up 66.95

dammit, it went up again for no reason 67.95

I forgot to add Comcast charging me $2 to not send me a paper bill...

69.95..../sigh

Honestly, I would pay $100/mo for 5/25 as long as I can get an honest 5/25....not this theoretical buulshit they keep spewing.

Honestly, I would pay $100/mo for 5/25 as long as I can get an honest 5/25....not this theoretical buulshit they keep spewing.

I know how you feel. I had comcast for a while. I'd be lucky to get 2mbps down between 4pm-10pm and my ping was over 400 to most servers I played on.

Fios showed up, i switched. Perfect latency, and I have never been unable to get my 20/5 service. I find most of the time I download under 20mbps its due to the server being slow not my connection. Good stuff.

Posted this on other boards...but just want to get the message out.

Google, I will give out copius "favors" if you install this in my town. Seriously.

It better be VERY competitive. I know a lot of people that have either dropped or downgraded their connections during this time.

I wonder how fast it woud take me to use up 250gb of bandwidth.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Looking forward to other ISPs freaking out.

same here.

Hopefully this lights a fire under their asses and they start expanding fiber at a quicker pace. Verizon has had fiber in the area since 05-ish and I STILL can't get it at my home. How is it that 4 years later, they still don't have the whole area covered? It's amazing, verizons fios coverage is like AT&T's 3G coverage :D

It's not like I'm out in the sticks either... I'm less than 10 miles from downtown

Google is a business entity, not a government entity.

Google wiring up cities is no different from Comcast or AT&T doing so.

I say rewire the cities with fiber optics, and don't throw away the old stuff. Give the old stuff to rural areas ;-)

My point being that corporatism is just as dangerous as big government. The reason we dont have govt ran everything is to ensure a separation of power and ensure freedom. Whether everything be ran by a company or a govt, makes no difference.

Fios being given to a select few more often than not has to do with your local government and not the isp.

The permits and legal BS an ISP needs to run new fiber through a town are insane, and sometimes its just not worth the investment for payback.

You DO realise verizon picks and chooses to install into the richer neighborhoods FIRST, to get a good ROI, before hitting the poorer neighborhoods. Its one of the things they're being investigated for.

In regards to getting things done, Google has the cash reserves to out bribe its competition concerning the yokel politicians and municipal staff.

My point being that corporatism is just as dangerous as big government. The reason we dont have govt ran everything is to ensure a separation of power and ensure freedom. Whether everything be ran by a company or a govt, makes no difference.

True, and the bigger the government, the more leverage big businesses have with their lobbying power.

You DO realise verizon picks and chooses to install into the richer neighborhoods FIRST, to get a good ROI, before hitting the poorer neighborhoods. Its one of the things they're being investigated for.

If you're gonna quote me, quote the entire statement...

They have not installed Fios in Boston's Back Bay or Northend yet... Which are extremely wealthy areas.

Seconded to Chicago, IL.

uh no... they are putting FIOS in areas that are economically feasible to do so. You can't pay verizon in food stamps. Also, I don't know if anybody hit on this before, but FIOS not coming to your town/area has to do with the fact that Time Warner/Cox/whoever owns the lines won't let somebody come in onto their property to lay down fiber so they can lose business.

What should happen is the government should buy all the line/infrastructure in America and lease out the bandwidth to whichever company wants it so all companies can serve all regions competitively instead of monopolizing. But that will never happen.

Google controlling your intarwebs, your email, your searching, pretty much everything you see and do on the net, they have data on it. If you're ok with that, go for it. I prefer keeping my eggs in different baskets, even if no one is trying to steal them.

Regardless, Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T are also large corporations with little or no chance of going away anytime soon. Google's entry would be one more competition amongst giants. It's not like they're going in and become the sole provider of internet access.

Your fear of corporatism makes no sense. It has to be either the government or free enterprise. What else is there?

Regardless, Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T are also large corporations with little or no chance of going away anytime soon. Google's entry would be one more competition amongst giants. It's not like they're going in and become the sole provider of internet access.

Your fear of corporatism makes no sense. It has to be either the government or free enterprise. What else is there?

Its pretty silly for you to claim it makes no sense, you seem not to understand. While yes those are also big companies, the plurality is whats important. They are different companies. In the recent past we can see the way google operates, they dont compete to have a share of the market place or a part of a locality, they compete to be the market place.

Most broadband is not as fast as this new google tech, mainly because there is not the market for it nor the capital to provide it. Google will certainly be taking a loss to gain market share at first, similar to the practices of standard oil.

Eventually with enough sacrifice, they could literally be the sole provider handling not only your network connections but also your email, gps, voip phone, social networking, chatting, web searchers, ebooks. etc. Im sure you get the point. That kind of centralization is dangerous, and that's what and where we are headed.

You seem to think they will never become a sole provider, you cannot be sure of that.

Also my isp offers 101/15 and very few people use it.

It has to be either the government or free enterprise. What else is there?

A healthy balance? Though I'd take publicly owned and operated (insert any service here) over the corporate, for-profit version any day. Privatization will be the last nail in America's coffin.

now if only my google overlords will provide me a line speed router to use all that bandwidth....that or a decent spec'd pfsense box to QoS the bandwidth....ahhh the possibilities...

Back