Google’s Answer To Amazon's Echo Is Code-Named ‘Chirp’

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to anonymous sources, Google is working on a hardware device code-named the Chirp, that would use the company’s search and voice assistant technology to go head to head with Amazon's Echo. Given the fact that Google already knows everything there is about you already, this device will probably work amazingly well.

A product team at Google is working on a hardware device that would integrate Google's search and voice assistant technology, akin to the Amazon Echo, Recode has learned. Google's device will resemble its OnHub wireless router, according to several sources. We don't know if it has a name yet, but internally the project goes by "Chirp."

If it's anything like Google Now on my phone, it's no wheres near as good as Echo.

I've yet to figure out why I'd want the Echo beyond that it's a neat gadget (which, admittedly, is occasionally enough). I'm therefore not too interested in Google's version.

i've been meaning to buy an echo, i hope echo is the jarvis like companion i hoped siri would become

I've yet to figure out why I'd want the Echo beyond that it's a neat gadget (which, admittedly, is occasionally enough). I'm therefore not too interested in Google's version.

I received an echo as a present. I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It's nice to walk into a room and just tell it to start playing music. But aside from music and weather, I haven't used it for much else. The todo list seems like it would be nice but I'm too lazy to set it up :D

I love my echo but using fucking bing as the default search engine is retarded. I hope microsoft didn't pay them too much for the exclusivity because if Google comes out with the exact same thing I'll put the echo upstairs or give it to my mom. I can't count the amount of simple things I ask Alexa only for her to reply "I didn't quite understand what you're looking for". Only just now did she stop saying "more of the same" for the day's weather forecast.

I received an echo as a present. I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It's nice to walk into a room and just tell it to start playing music. But aside from music and weather, I haven't used it for much else. The todo list seems like it would be nice but I'm too lazy to set it up :D
Yeah, like I said it does seem like a neat gadget. It's probably not for me because I live alone, virtually live with headphones/earbuds on, and if I'm at home I'm just about always next to my computer. At this point, it would be like buying a[nother] 7" tablet despite the fact that I'm always carrying a 6" smartphone. :)

Really, they probably payed a HUGE amount of money for a marketing team to come up with that name, and it resembles the annoying effing sounds your smoke alarm makes when the battery is low...

You'd be surprised how useful it is. And now that the "Dot" is available, cost of entry is much lower and it has an output you can connect to amplified speakers.

It's a hell of a bedroom alarm clock, radio, news getter, etc... device.

Personally I've always liked the 'smart home' idea where you can verbalize instructions to "The house" and it would take care of it.
LIke. "Hey, Housey mcHouse; dim the lights in here." it responds "my pleasure master" and dims the lights.
Or
"Incoming phone call from The IRS. Can will you take this call?"
"Na! They suck. Hang up and block that number!"
"Right away master!"

You'd be surprised how useful it is. And now that the "Dot" is available, cost of entry is much lower and it has an output you can connect to amplified speakers.

It's a hell of a bedroom alarm clock, radio, news getter, etc... device.

For some reason I was picturing Dot Matrix from Spaceballs. That would have been better.

Funny how google is always playing catchup to amazon now in everything.

Tweet, Chirp, that wasn't a big stretch.

I wonder who got paid to come up with that name.

I still have been using Bing over Google a long time myself, must just be me :)

Have even thought about trying out a Dot, but haven't.

Really don't need the speaker, have a wireless 4K AVR it would work with I imagine, but do not even have 4K screen.

Last edited:
Back