Google Working On 10 Gigabit Internet Speeds

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ten times the speed of its current service is great and all but I'd rather see Google Fiber expand to more cities first.

Google Fiber offers data transfer speeds of 1 gigabit per second currently. But the company is already working on speeds of 10 gigabits per second, Chief Financial Officer Patrick Pichette said during the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet conference.

lay the pipe and crush comcrap and AT&T first.

Then increase speeds.

Unless of course Google turns around and gets in bed with the studios/content providers as well.

What I wouldn't do for just a single gigabit.
I just recently upgraded to 110mbps in NYC. I'm so jelly.

Cablevison's service I assume? Still on their basic 15Mbit service, which for its price, is excellent. Especially compared to the rest of the US.

This is fucking bullshit. I don't even have 1 Gbps available to me, most of us don't. Get that 1 Gbps service all over the fuckin' U.S. first, and then work on giving every single one of us 10 Gbps.

1.5Mb.

And you still couldn't get me to move to some smelly, over-lit shit hole for better, I'd rather have dial up.

This is fucking bullshit. I don't even have 1 Gbps available to me, most of us don't. Get that 1 Gbps service all over the fuckin' U.S. first, and then work on giving every single one of us 10 Gbps.

So you would rather have a company spend millions to deploy a 1Gbps infrastructure and then spend millions more to upgrade it? That doesn't make much sense since that cost is passed on to the customer

That's cool, Google. Once they actually have a distinct footprint on a service territory map, maybe then I'll be impressed.

Delivering reliable 1Gbps is a challenge when you're servicing millions.

image.png

Gigapower or whatever at&t wants to call it is a couple streets over in my neighborhood. Still stuck on 18mbps uverse at my house though. Definitely jealous of these faster speeds. Although after awhile it just becomes ridiculous. It's diminishing returns after you get past a few hundred mbps.

Guess I'll stick it out until they expand fiber in my neighborhood.

Off-topic but has anybody combined u-verse internet with cable modem service? Tempted to get a load sharing router and pickup a 2nd internet connection. My uverse is rock solid reliable, so I don't want to ditch it, but I want more speed! Suddenlink has 50mbps service but their reliability ratings are pretty bad.

Gigapower or whatever at&t wants to call it is a couple streets over in my neighborhood. Still stuck on 18mbps uverse at my house though. Definitely jealous of these faster speeds. Although after awhile it just becomes ridiculous. It's diminishing returns after you get past a few hundred mbps.

Guess I'll stick it out until they expand fiber in my neighborhood.

Off-topic but has anybody combined u-verse internet with cable modem service? Tempted to get a load sharing router and pickup a 2nd internet connection. My uverse is rock solid reliable, so I don't want to ditch it, but I want more speed! Suddenlink has 50mbps service but their reliability ratings are pretty bad.

Doesn't U-Verse use some shitty tech that artificially increases bandwidth at the cost of latency because they're still trying to limp along on DSL? Sounds horrible.

I just want to be able to tell Comcast to shove Xfinity Whateveritis up their ass. It would really make my day.

Infrastructure first, mind blowing speeds later please...Although 1Gb speed would be nice...For the $40 I pay for my s#!tty 3Mbps DSL connection through AT&T.

I agree with Steve, footprint first!

Also 10Gbps? How much are those cards? Heck I can't even yet afford 10Gbps links in my network at work!

If they can put future development of their services on 10Gb without a significant cost increase, and maintain compatibility, then I say go for it. No sense staying with "old tech" just to maintain a standard. If it's wasting a bunch of resources that could be put into construction of their current system, then maybe not.

I did for a while. We have Comcast Business for Internet and UVerse for TV. At the time it was nice because my Cable connection maxed out at about ~26Mbps which was almost the same speed as the UVerse tier (24Mbps). But we eventually upgraded our cable all the way to 100Mbps while 24Mbps is the fastest UVerse tier available without using a bonded pair or something. UVerse implementing their 250gb cap was the nail in the coffin, as at that point it just made sense to route everything over our Comcast connection which is now 4 times faster and has no monthly cap, since we often pull terabytes per month.

Doesn't U-Verse use some shitty tech that artificially increases bandwidth at the cost of latency because they're still trying to limp along on DSL? Sounds horrible.

I'm really not sure what you're talking about. Regular DSL maxes out at about 6Mbps or so. UVerse uses VDSL which is obviously not the same as traditional DSL. It wouldn't make much sense for them to deliver shitty internet service, since their TV service requires a stable and fairly fast internet connection to even work properly. I never had any ping issues when I used UVerse.

10 Gbps? 10x faster than my LAN. I still have 100 Mbps sections on my network!

10 Gbps is still faster than most storage I/O. Crazy times we live in.

Google
We steal your data faster and more efficiently than anyone else

Step 1. Get the Google fiber down and crush the cable companies. Step 2. Own the world. Step 3. Increase "internet speeds".

Unless of course Google turns around and gets in bed with the studios/content providers as well.

names like Intel (with their set-top box) and google with their google TV couldn't really do much... don't think that's going to change any time soon...

anyway couldn't be worse than comcrap

they should be working a in safer and NSA-free internet instead!!! :mad:

Back