Google Watch?

I know this might be just asking for trouble, but I want to ask a group of professionals and/or well-informed amatuers.

what do you folks think about google watch ?

Is this a bunch of mularkey? Is it true? Is it something to be concerned over?

In my opinion this is nothing to be worried over. If you are dealing with things highly illegal or questionable you should probaly not use anything capable of being monitored to communicate. I think most public email systems have stores where if the case arose, could be tapped into by a government agency.

This is a bit more obvious as far as them caching us, but we are being watched in so many respects. Just don't worry about and sleep easier.

If you are really worried about privacy run your own servers, run fully encrypted multiple times over, do not use your own internet connection, and only use code words and aliases. Even then, chances are if you're doing something illegal big brother is watching.

I sound like a nut, but I think the government with the advent of the Patriot Act can basically do whatever the h3ll they want and not worry about much.

-----
Privacy is a way of the past.
-----

I guess you are correct on all accounts.

i rue the day that the government decides to bring sanctions against whoever they decide because of the political websites they are viewing.

even (especially?) as a conservative, i really despise the patriot act.

at any rate, i'll not hijack this thread for political purposes. thanks for your input.

anybody else what to echo or rebutt these comments?

just to throw some fuel on the fire and run up the conspiracy flag, in the late 90s there was a government project called carnivore which was supposed to process all email communications and search for nefarious transmissions. there was a lot of talk about it being a total invasion of privacy and then it kind of disappeared.

there was another thing called echelon. the US government is not allowed to spy on its citizensw without just cause. but there is nothing stopping other nations from doing so, and the echelon project (if i recall correctly) was designed to enable the US to work with other governments so basically the US would be outsourcing the monitoring of it's citizens to other friendly nations to avoid any legal mess.

you don't hear much of anything about these any more. but there is of course the almighty google, which that web site is all tied up to the government. so maybe they're not as crazy as they sound . . . .

Yeah..

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy fatsacks
echelon.

The countries would be the UK, New Zealand, Austraila, Canada, and the US. Just in case you were curious.

I wouldn't expect those who completely hate us to help the government get its work done.

I'm about to begin a class. Can you dig anything up on these two pieces of legislation?

Google was once the love child of the geek culture.. "do no evil" meant something.

Now that they are a publicly traded company, they have a board of directors and stock owners to please. Everything from here on out is about $money$ and more of it! Whatever privacy lines they decide to ride or cross will be used to generate financial returns for investors. It just so happens they deal in an "Orwellian" type sector of the tech market. It won't be long until Google starts to generate the type of broad animosity that Microsoft has managed to garnish by some.

I for one welcome our new information overlords...

j4zzee, your post reminds me of that onion piece a couple weeks ago. i think the headline was something like "google unveils plan to destroy all information it cannot catalog." hilarious :D

Party2go9820 said:
Define Irony - Suggesting to use Google to search for information about the evils of Google and the projects google may or may not be involved in. :p

Heh - reflexive answer when suggesting to look it up online, I thought about it about 5 seconds after posting and decided to leave it.

Back