• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Google To Sell Online Software Suite

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
According to this report, Google will begin selling its online software suite that consists of word processing and spreadsheet software, a calendar and an e-mail app for $50 a year per person.

Google's software bundle, to be sold for a $50 annual fee per user, also poses a challenge to International Business Machines Corp. and its Lotus suite. While Google's latest foray into the corporate software market seems unlikely to topple the status quo right away, AMR Research analyst Jim Murphy said it's only a matter of time before the Mountain View-based company becomes a major player.
 
They are going to need an OFFLINE mode before they can start charging for this. I would much rather use OpenOffice than a pure online only suite.

And when it comes down to it Office 2007 is rather nice and has a far better UI than any office suite on the market right now.
 
They are going to need an OFFLINE mode before they can start charging for this. I would much rather use OpenOffice than a pure online only suite.

And when it comes down to it Office 2007 is rather nice and has a far better UI than any office suite on the market right now.

OpenOffice and Gmail is the same thing, for free! I've never needed an "email app" anyway. I

I like my office 2003 Pro though... it rules being a student :D
 
I am not sure I would really want to have Google archiving all my business's sensitive data and email. Seems there would be some serious data confidentiality and retention issues here.
 
I'm not sure the whole compliance issue would be a show stopper for most enterprises though. We've been through a SOX (Sarbanes Oxley...the bastards) audit in the last year and for something like email, so long as we have nice written procedures saying

*) mail is on google
*) google signed this saying its all good (security, backups etc)

then its all kosher.

I think the only issue would be financial data, but with that sort of thing you usually expect the bean counters to be a bit anal about it anyways and not use the google spreadsheet for example....

I think for the grunts in the trenches, most places wouldn't see an issue.

I'd like it at my work.
 
Damn, and I was hoping it would be on the shelves, in a box decorated all Googley. And I'd get it home and by default it would install Google desktop, toolbar, and index everything on my hard drive. Now I just have to continue using it online :(
 
Helps to read the story, this is about hosting email, which could be great for small businesses. However in large scale it would be variable in success. Many companies use exchange for much more than email, scheduling features are very important to many users and are tied in nicely.

If the internet goes down, I can still email anyone on my local server as well as view my messages. Downloading large attachments also tends to be faster over the LAN than if everyone had to download from an external source.
 
Back
Top